What to do with my mare - advice please!

MTGG

New User
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for objective advice on a very emotional issue (for me). Will try to keep it short.

I am currently living abroad and my mare is on livery in Devon. She was out on loan when I left (18 months ago) but had to come back through no fault of her own and because I wasn't around to find her a new home, she has gone to livery where she is not ridden (it's a retirement home mostly although she is not retired).

The plan was to have her back when I return next year. Unfortunately (in this regard, am happy otherwise!) I am now pregnant and I know realistically that I won't be able to have her back for at least another 18 months. We've just gone over finances and we literally cannot afford to keep her where she is once we are back and only on one salary. Also, she is being wasted when she could be giving someone else so much fun (she's an awesome, vice free horse that is a pleasure in every way).

Ideally I would like to loan her again, but not being around to check the home etc, this is not really practical. Also, she has not been ridden for 6 months. I know she will be fine to get back on, but will anyone want to loan a horse that hasn't been sat on? There's a possibility I could pay someone locally to ride her a couple of times a week, but then I still have the problem of not being there to vet the new home and I've heard so many horror stories. Also, if it doesn't work out, this whole problem starts again...

Part of me thinks that logically the best thing to do is sell her. I know someone at a yard nearby-ish that does sales livery and will take her, ride her, sell her etc. But I'm so worried about this: her not going to a good home; her not selling and me being stuck with expensive sales livery indefinitely. The practical part of me knows people sell horses every day and there's plenty of lovely homes out there, but I've owned her for 8 years and am really very attached to her. Also, she is 18, so not getting any younger and I don't know if this will affect the length of time it takes to sell her etc.

Any advice from anyone? Any options I am maybe missing? I've been worrying about this for weeks straight and it is really upsetting me and stressing me out. Words of wisdom REALLY appreciated.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum. Its a difficult one. I've actually been in a similar situation years ago, with a horse on loan coming back when I was abroad. I was lucky that another full loan was found for him quite quickly, but generally speaking I would never loan a horse nowadays unless I had a really good plan in place for where they would go if returned suddenly and how I would finance it, otherwise you're putting the horse in a possibly sticky situation through no fault of its own (not judging you OP, I've learned that the hard way myself, just saying it in case anyone else is reading and thinking of loaning a horse out..)

Eighteen is old for a horse to be sold IMO. Especially if she hasn't done much for a while. I think at this stage she is yours for life unless you can find a home with someone that you know and trust to give her a home for life.. I would keep her where she is, perhaps paying the person you mentioned to ride her a couple of times a week to get her going/keep her ticking over, then readvertise for a loaner or even a sharer who could contribute towards costs. Speak to the person who owns the livery where she is, they may suggest something. Advertise on local RC/PC websites or facebook pages perhaps? You could really do with someone you trust in the area to check her over wherever she goes - even if it means paying a local instructor you know to do that. From what you're saying, you don't have to make a decision this very moment, things can stay as they are for a while. Good luck, hope you can sort out something.

MTGG

New User
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. You're right, I'm not in a huge rush, it's in the budget for her to stay where she is until next year, I was just thinking that if I did go down the route of selling her, it would be better to do it sooner rather than later because of her age.

I saw a post a while back where quite a few people were saying they'd buy a horse in it's late teens as long as it seemed healthy - and most of these people wanted a horse for hacking etc, had their own land and therefore it wasn't a big deal. Because a lot of people have their own land in Devon I thought she might attract someone lovely who wanted to mooch around on her mother/daughter share etc. But maybe it is wishful thinking.

I definitely don't want to dump her off in any way though, so your opinion is appreciated. Unfortunately I don't really know anyone in the area as it's not where I'm from or where I kept her, so it's harder to find people to help with word of mouth etc, but the PC/RC thing is a good idea, thanks.

texas

Visit site
Could you find a cheaper retirement livery place, just so her future is secure even if she isn't being used? Does she have to stay in Devon? I know a lovely lady in Cornwall, but I don't know her prices or how they would compare to where you are now.

marion95

Visit site
She doesn't have to stay where she is, but I really looked around and this was by far the best for her - and actually very reasonably priced - just still a lot of money for a horse to sit in a field! Most of the retirement places leave them out 24/7 but she needs to be stabled in the winter, so it does cost a bit more than some. Thanks for your reply.

marion95

Visit site
I honestly don't know! First baby so not sure what it will be like and whether I'd be able to juggle both in the initial months, but I'lll be working full time after 6 months so probably not long term.