What to do with my yard?? Suggestions please

asterid

Visit site
I rent a yard with 8 stables, 3 are for my own horses. I have 10 acres split for summer and winter. Arena is being built in the coming months once planning is done.

However, I have found that liveries are somewhat troublesome no matter wether DIY, or FULL etc.

I cant afford the yard on my own for just 3 horses. I don't want to give it up as I have invested time and money into the place.

Any ideas on what else I can do other than livery?

So far have thought of - small riding school, trekking. Renting stables for storage.

Any suggestions?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Empty stables will still attract business rates, so this is one cost to look at ......... local authority will clarify.
Riding Schools will attract moaners and people who will sue you if they fall off ......... and there are lots of extras costs, licence, , insurance [may require someone living on site] etc. Trekking is really just a riding school in terms of extra costs, and of course you have to deal with even more new people, not to mention having costs of very steady ponies.
Renting for storage, you might get strange people coming and going when you are not about, I can't think that would work.
Your landlord may want to have some input ... is sub letting allowed, its a minefield.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

lizness

Visit site
Riding school is very expensive and complicated
How about retirement livery or youngstock, where owner come less frequently!

ironhorse

Visit site
What about holiday livery?

Holiday livery is Ok if people are truthful about their horses' behaviour etc - if you get one that escapes, doesn't settle etc it could be a pain if the owner is on the other side of the world!
But on the holiday theme, are you in an area with nice bridleways or close to other attractions such as show venues? You could offer overnight or short term livery, and this is usually charged at a premium. Don't forget you'll need a decent amount of lorry parking if you go down this road, and if people are staying in their lorries overnight or camping they might need other facilities such as loos or electric hook up.
Also with any venture where horses are staying for short periods you'll want to disinfect stables/poo pick and rest paddocks in between and keep them away from direct contact with your horses for biosecurity reasons.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Dog training/agility?

There are lots of clubs which want this. Locally, a stud is hiring out their indoor arena to 3 dog clubs - and apart from needing car parking space, they say this is far easier and more cost effective than having horses in :)

If the arena & a grass paddock were 'dog proof' you could find then in demand

TopTotty

Visit site
UUmmm I can sympathise with you! I rent a yard and just have two horses but 11 stables. I have two part liveries who are friends and that pays the rent. I have toyed with the idea of another livery but after previously having a yard with 20 on I know where you are coming from. I can not afford to be on the yard without them at the moment either and it is nice to have some company and help too. Can you find someone low maintenance who could stable with you? I'm sure that whoever you rent the boxes to will have some sort of issue!!! :)
Can you have a schooling livery? Although this is not easy when you are on your own either. I wish you luck and I am leaving my boxes empty :) :)