What to do with my yard?? Suggestions please

asterid

Visit site
I rent a yard with 8 stables, 3 are for my own horses. I have 10 acres split for summer and winter. Arena is being built in the coming months once planning is done.

However, I have found that liveries are somewhat troublesome no matter wether DIY, or FULL etc.

I cant afford the yard on my own for just 3 horses. I don't want to give it up as I have invested time and money into the place.

Any ideas on what else I can do other than livery?

So far have thought of - small riding school, trekking. Renting stables for storage.

Any suggestions?

Capriole

Visit site
Could you sub let part of it maybe? To a comp rider or someone with a few horses? That way you aren't directly responsible for individuals as such. Still might be a bit of a pain though. Maybe storage units is a good idea, but is it secure enough?

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Renting for storage would be trouble freer, hopefully or a reticent or convalescence livery so owners are there every day so in theory should be less trouble.
Riding school/ trekking centre would be a big commitment with insurance, rates etc.

Moobucket

Visit site
You are in the same boat as me. Don't be afraid to remove people if they become problematic and also have a clear vetting process. I.e. I find it much easier if my yard is filled with people who actually ride their horses, because it tends to be the people with time on their hands that cause problems. I'm happy to tell people I don't think they'll fit in. It's not you its me kinda style. Get a reputation for being strict and no nonsense and you will go through some people but ultimately you will get a decent reputation and a yard full of sensible people. Never pick sides. I have a motto, own horse own rules (welfare issues aside)! Also, I do paddocks and ponies but never ever personalities.

asterid

Visit site
Yes I agree. The ones that don't ride, their horses are horrid to turnout and bring in and no matter how much I tell them to work them, they just ignore me! Am thinking of evicting another! Agree, that people that don't ride have more time to gossip. Its frustrating that I don't have the arena yet. Hopefully once I have that I can have some more competition riders. I am the only one that competes!

Liveries are just plain hard work! The actual physical hard work is nothing compared to dealing with owners. Never knew it would be so hard.

Tiffany

Visit site
I don't ride my girl anymore due to injury but don't think I'm hard work, certainly don't gossip about people on the yard and my girl is easy to handle in the stable and hen turning out and bringing in. Our YO is straight talking and if she doesn't think certain people will fit in she doesn't have them on. One of the yard rules is 'no bitching'.
Agree either share yard with like minded person of competition rider/trainer or retirement livery

Last edited:

Capriole

Visit site
Ha I don't ride my youngster either but I like to think I'm hassle free, too, I keep myself strictly to myself nowadays.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I'm in same boat too. Young woman who keeps 2 ponies on my yard is moving house and taking poies with her so I have space for 2 more. Don't really want 2 people so perhaps I'll just advertise for someone with 2 horses who rides as I enjoy riding out with others. It is a minefield though and I have to agree I'm quite picky about who I choose and their horses.