What to do with rugs...

scheffings

Visit site
The weather is making me think about my horse’s winter rugs!
smirk.gif

He has two which really need a wash and reproof and I can't decide whether to find someone who offers a washing and reproofing service or whether to have a go myself. I have access to a large washing machine which they would easily fit in. What are people’s experiences of reproofing rugs themselves and do you have any recommendations for particular products to use or avoid.
confused.gif

My_Eeyore

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The weather is making me think about my horse’s winter rugs!
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. in fact i had a post up yesterday about where to take rugs.

A while ago when i was on a livery yard we had use of a large machine i used the nik wax (think thats the name) products the rug wash and the reproofer. You can buy it in big 5l bottles which works out a lot cheaper than the small bottles. Some people who used ordinary laundry detergent on turnout rugs ended up with them leaking so be careful

We had good results with the nik wax the only problem was drying them, ok in summer but not so good in winter.

I wish i had a machine where i am now would save me a fortune
grin.gif

scheffings

Visit site
I have just been looking on the internet and found the Nik Wax stuff, was wondering if it was any good. So thank you very much for the recommendation.
smile.gif

RachelB

Visit site
I tried washing and re-proofing my rugs once, it was a complete disaster and I ended up with leaky rugs! It took forever to do it as well (but then I'm a bit of a perfectionist and had to scrub every last inch
laugh.gif
) Now I just send them to my local cleaner, much easier!

scheffings

Visit site
Silmarillion,
This is what I was worryig about, it being a complete disaster!
blush.gif

Did you do them in a machine or by hand? Also what did you use to reproof them?

emilyandnessa

Visit site
I wash all my rugs a couple of times a year i use nik wax rug wash then the re-proofer and i also seal the seams with a hydrophane seal spray about once a year not had one leak yet. I use washing machine on 40c cycle then dry on clothes horse in the garage takes about 2 days to dry properly! I always use a cotton drill summer sheet under all rugs which i wash weekly. I usually buy my rug wash off ebay a pack is enough to proof 2 rugs and wash 4 (use normal non bio wash liquid on summer sheets etc)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikwax-Rug-Wash-Ru...t=1218971976556

Ezme

Visit site
When I win the lottery and build my ultimate equestrian venue I'm so having a wash room with industrial washing machines and i'll commission heated rug racks (if they don't exist already)

Away from my fantiseys hydrophane is great

maddielove

Visit site
For all those who have had "patches" put on ripped rugs 0 tent glue is good for sealing these seams
smile.gif

I'm in the process of pressure washing my t/o's - by the sounds of things nik wax is good for re-proofing?
Stable rug wil lbe going to get professionally washed. Mainly because I dont want to risk destroying a horsewear rug!

palomino_pony

Visit site
I have always cleaned mine with a pressure washer on my dad's fence - never need reproofing either. (This was after a bad experience with a rug cleaning company) Take a bit of effort though, and you need a few sunny days to dry them.

Bugly

Visit site
Yes: a lack of 'sunny days' is certainly scuppering my rug cleaning this summer! I have had mine piled up since May waiting for a sunny weekend to do them,,,when it has been sunny I have been away!

I send my main rugs (h/w and m/d weight turnout) to a professional rug wash, and then so my spares by hand (hosepipe on the yard and IV horse reproofer) and l/w's in the washing machine.