What to do with sweaty horse?

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Now i have owned my own horse for over two years now but today i found myself in a situation i havent been in before and was a little unsure as what to do.

Took Chico in the trailer for a lesson at the local RS this morning and being a new environment he got very sweaty.

At end of lesson (30 mins) he went back into the trailer and couple of minute drive to the yard.

When back at the yard he was very sweaty around his neck and front end and never before having to deal with a sweaty horse (Chico doesnt sweat up at home) I was sure what to do.

Turn him out? Leave him in? Rug? Dont rug? - with no one around to help i just plumped for what i felt was the best option but i really wasnt sure.

Help please! :eek:

Jnhuk

Visit site
I would have given him a walk to cool down after lesson and sponged sweaty bits and put cooler/wicking rug on for him to travel home with. Usually leave cooler on for awhile depending on how wet, clipped or not etc, what time of day/year it is and what weather like, once home. If not that sweaty and nice day, I am happy to turn out straight away but if late and cold weather and horse still very wet, I leave in stable until dry enough to turn out or leave in over night. I use a thermatex rug for this in winter when I want to be sure that my horse will be okay till morning. You don't want your horse to get a chill but suspect from what you say, they were only sweating on their neck and with today being lovely and sunny here, I would have been happy to turn out. What did you do in the end?

http://www.wikihow.com/Cool-Down-a-Horse-After-Hard-Work

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
It depends on how you normally keep your horse. Mine lives out, so sweaty or not, he gets turned straight out after a ride. Turnout rugs these days are breathable, a sweaty horse will generally roll then settle down to graze, the rug will help him dry off without getting a chill.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
there wasnt anywhere to walk him after the lesson so we had to come straight home. He was sweaty on neck, under saddle and on his shoulders.

I do have a couple of sweat rugs but didnt take one as normally he isnt sweaty at all (tend to use sweat rugs as lightweight stable rugs in summer to keep flies away).

I brushed him down in the stable then popped a lightweight turnout on him and popped him in the field.

I will make sure i take all the relevant rugs etc with me next time ;)

CBFan

Visit site
I generally sponge / wet brush my boy off when he sweats up and throw his fleece or thermatex on and leave him stood with some hay for a bit (no more than an hour) then pop his rug on and turn out as normal.

It's important to sponge off sweaty bits to prevent sores and manky skin conditions like 'rain scald' developing. ;)

Mince Pie

Visit site
In the summer I tend to turn out so pony can have a good roll, then put tack away/have cuppa/fag etc and about an hour later get pony back in for a good groom and some grub.

In winter pony gets a sponge down with some lavender wash then I put a fleece on so he can dry, then he gets fed and turned out with his t/o rug on (mine practically live out all year but I have 2 stables which I can use at any time so will leave in to dry).

starryeyed

Visit site
In winter / this time of year I sponge down the sweaty bits and then pop a cooler or fleece on and either put them to bed (if its evening!) or put them out in the field with a lightweight breathable on top.
In summer I sponge off, pop a fly sheet on and turn them out to dry naturally in the sunshine :)