What to do with unwanted hay?

kit279

Visit site
I've just moved house and inherited a field shelter full of small bales of hay from the previous owners who used it for their alpacas. I've ordered in my haylage for the year - always feed haylage as have Thoroughbreds and they keep their weight better on this - so I have no use for the hay particularly and could do with the extra space in the fields shelter. Is there anything I can do with the unwanted hay? We are on the Bucks/Oxon border - is there anyone who would be interested in rehoming it? It would be suitable for horses - are there any charities who might be interested in it? Don't want any money for it but haven't got an easy way of transporting it at present.

hnmisty

Visit site
How many bales are there? If there are enough I expect you could find a local charity who would collect it. Obviously the value of the hay would have to exceed the cost of them coming to collect it.

If not, just stick an advert up. I expect someone will snap it up especially if you aren't fussed about price. Someone will want a bargain, especially as they're always going on about increasing hay prices!

Dry Rot

Visit site
If it was me, I'd stack it outside on pallets and put a sheet over it. You can never have too much fodder and if it is a long hard winter you may be glad of it. Yes, it was a good year for making hay but yields are down.

LCH611

Visit site
How about the RDA? (Whereabouts are you, we are on the Bucks/Berks/Oxon border as well and my MIL is v involved with the RDA group at Wyfold, so could give you their contact details if you would like them