What to do? :/

Nicole-Louise

Visit site
My horse has always been on 24/7 turnout. She's a 3 year old, ISH. In the summer, a qualified vet advised me to take her off feed as she became overweight and the weight caused excessive strain on her legs.

Being the type that hates being stabled, I kept her on turnout with a medium-heavyweight rug on, with the weather being awful, checked her daily when the yard was quiet (as it's complete bitchiness otherwise!), she was fine. When I came up last night, her rug was completely torn, and ended up having to walk her through water that came up knee high on me, and stabled her.

She is on a bale of hay per night, and not on any feed. With turn out and grazing, she has lost a little weight, and her ribs are SLIGHTLY showing, but now have food ordered, as well as haylage.

However, I never thought the horse world would be so incredibly bitchy. I previously stabled on land a friend was renting, and she asked for £40 for the month. I paid this, and sold her a few things cheaply that she was in dire need of. She still has NOT paid anything, and kept all my things. It got to the point where I had to move, and she attempted to drop off my 16hh mare in the street to place in my front garden and leave.

Because I refused to sell my mare to her, they now do things in spite. Because she's lost a little weight, she took her out the field behind my back and started taking photos, and is now using them as blackmail, basically, I either give her my horse, or she reports me? Yet she kicks her foals if they refuse to move, places severely underweight rescue foals in torrential conditions without rugs, in which 1 sadly died.

She is consistently going up searching my horse on a yard that she doesn't even stable on! Takes her rugs on and brings her in without consent, (and she sent me pictures to prove!) She is consistently blackmailing, and threatening. Also found her rug completely cut apart. After looking at it closely, there was no rough edges, it was literally as if someone took scissors to it and cut it apart. The cut was completely perfect and straight, no rough edges whatsoever.

I've already moved once to get away from her, and I fear I'm going to have to do it again. My horse also now has thrush due to her field being flooded the past 2-3 days, and is prone to mud fever (which she doesn't have this time). But she is being treated for the thrush, feed is being delivered tomorrow and all new rugs are being bought also. I'm doing everything I can to sort her, and instead being threatened consistently to either give her up, or be reported.

I feel like I have no hope in this.

What would you do?

riding_high

Visit site
maybe speak to the police about it all as she is doing things to your horse without your permission, trespassing and possibly causing criminal damage. if the police do nothing then maybe speak to a solicitor and get a letter sent to her warning her to stay away from you and your horse.

lee1984

Visit site
tell her straight under terms will Never she get the horse regardless of whats said and done, In short tell her go ****** herself. I get aggro weekly on first name terms with animal walfare agencys theres not a thing wrong with my horses very well looked after just idiots with nothing better to do with there time.

lhotse

Visit site
It says in your album that she's rising 3, so not 3 till the spring? Maybe the fact that you are riding her is concerning your friend. She certainly doesn't look fully matured to me. Your friend shouldn't be handling her without your permission, maybe you should speak to your YO and get her barred from entering in the first place.
Edited, sorry, my bad, she was 3 in the spring.

Last edited:

TandD

Visit site
wow..... thats an awful situation...can i ask why the friend wanted you to sell her your horse?
may be move to a yard where horses are kepts behind locked/'keypadded' gates so she has no acesses?

Nicole-Louise

Visit site
It says in your album that she's rising 3, so not 3 till the spring? Maybe the fact that you are riding her is concerning your friend. She certainly doesn't look fully matured to me. Your friend shouldn't be handling her without your permission, maybe you should speak to your YO and get her barred from entering in the first place.
Edited, sorry, my bad, she was 3 in the spring.

Have to change my album. She is 4 in July :) I have lightly broken her in, but resting her over winter to mature and bring her back into light work again in spring. She breaks all hers in the minute they turn 3, jumps and gallops them. She did break her yearling in to drive at 1 too.

Nicole-Louise

Visit site
wow..... thats an awful situation...can i ask why the friend wanted you to sell her your horse?
may be move to a yard where horses are kepts behind locked/'keypadded' gates so she has no acesses?

She's always taken a liking to her. Once told me I'd be mad to sell her, then as soon as I moved off the land she rented completely changed and wanted me to sell her. No idea why.. Think I will have to move again :(

TandD

Visit site
she doesnt sound much like a friend to me....more like a piece of s**t you would wipe off your boot? police involvment is needed i think...for the safety of your horse!

Nicole-Louise

Visit site
You feed your horse a bale of a hay a night :eek: did I read that right :confused:

Only because she hasn't be able to be turned out the past few days, not always a bale haha. And she's not on any hard feed. So it keeps her going from early night until morning. But is placed in small haynets to avoid her rushing. And she never eats it all anyhow, so it will be decreased slowly :)

Burmilla

Visit site
Harrassment. Trespass. Criminal damage. Vandalism. Theatening behaviour. Slander. What is this woman's problem? Why is she behaving in this manner? Make an appointment with local police to make a complaint of harrassment and the above behaviours. Contact your local Horsewatch to alert them to her behaviour. Get a free half hour of legal advice from a solicitor as to what legal remedies are available to you. Consider taking an injunction out against her. Contact RSPCA re likely malicious referrals, and ask their advice. There are less civilised ways og getting your message across . . .Let's try the civilised ones first.

dressedkez

Visit site
The whole post sounds a bit odd to me......a bale of hay a night, fed in small haynets - are you doing a regualr night shift of haynet stuffing - 2am, 4am etc.....??
Your vet advised you that the horse was a bit porkey in the summer (when there was grass) now it seems that it needs a bit of hard feed to maintain condition as now there is no grass.
NZ rugs will rip, and look as if they have been cut - I think that is the nature of the fabric and a metal shoe (if it is shod) catching it as it rolls. Though of course your YO could be out there with a pair of shears?
Nothing wrong with backing and riding on a 3 year old for a short time - possibly would not want to be doing too much though.
Clearly you need to move yards, hope that your issues do not keep following you.
How are you planning on treating the mud fever? That could get quite nasty if this wet weather continues.

Nicole-Louise

Visit site
The whole post sounds a bit odd to me......a bale of hay a night, fed in small haynets - are you doing a regualr night shift of haynet stuffing - 2am, 4am etc.....??
Your vet advised you that the horse was a bit porkey in the summer (when there was grass) now it seems that it needs a bit of hard feed to maintain condition as now there is no grass.
NZ rugs will rip, and look as if they have been cut - I think that is the nature of the fabric and a metal shoe (if it is shod) catching it as it rolls. Though of course your YO could be out there with a pair of shears?
Nothing wrong with backing and riding on a 3 year old for a short time - possibly would not want to be doing too much though.
Clearly you need to move yards, hope that your issues do not keep following you.
How are you planning on treating the mud fever? That could get quite nasty if this wet weather continues.

Yes, but now losing her weight and highly restricted grazing, unless I want to walk her through knee high water many times a day (which is unfair with her current thrush), I'm putting more hay in to replace the lack of grazing in the current situation.

It wasn't a NZ type, and it was torn along her back. She is shod, but surely she couldn't reach her back!? Not in small haynets, small holed meant to say, they're large haynets. She will be on hard feed as of tomorrow, as it will be delivered then, so she can start regaining her condition appropriately.

When her mud fever does come into play, especially when turned out, she has her legs washed off, and her feet, and is towel dried until clean and dry, then appropriate medication/ointment used. Also thinking of investing in a pair of turn out boots..

Sol

Visit site
Harrassment. Trespass. Criminal damage. Vandalism. Theatening behaviour. Slander. What is this woman's problem? Why is she behaving in this manner? Make an appointment with local police to make a complaint of harrassment and the above behaviours. Contact your local Horsewatch to alert them to her behaviour. Get a free half hour of legal advice from a solicitor as to what legal remedies are available to you. Consider taking an injunction out against her. Contact RSPCA re likely malicious referrals, and ask their advice. There are less civilised ways og getting your message across . . .Let's try the civilised ones first.

This sounds rather sensible! The things this woman is supposedly doing cannot be legal, and your horse's welfare is at stake! Not to mention, what on earth would happen if the horse was injured if this woman did something with her, or the woman was injured?

On another note though - my 15.2 gelding probably eats the equivalent of nearly a bale of hay per night :p He has haylage though from a large bale. A bloody lot of it. He comes in at about 5pm and goes out around 7am... I'd much rather he had ad lib fodder than potentially go hungry!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She has done it once, and they even admitted she was in excellent condition. I mentioned them doing it out of spite and they took her name. Just the constant threats to hand her over, I refuse to do.
So she can't blackmail you then, can she? Ignore her, tell your YO that hse is not allowed to touch your horse and ask that this is enforced.
As for the weight-loss, I should ask your vet to take a look before giving any more feed.

corbleu

Visit site
Quite frankly my dear tell her to go get stood on (and not by your horse either!). If, as you say, the vet is aware of her weight problems, then IF she wishes to report you and IF they wish to follow this up then they can contact your vet directly to find out what you have been doing to address her weight issues. Also they can contact your dentist who, with your permission, can confirm she has been seen, checked, treated etc... You have ordered feed and so will have either a receipt or at the very least a retailer who can confirm that this has been ordered. Keep a record of your worming programme also, and your farrier details so again any organisation can speak to them if they have any concerns. You have rugs ordered/in the process of ordering so keep your receipts from that. Also details from the passport including vaccination and microchip details. Then tell this woman in no uncertain terms that she is trespassing, that your horse is NOT for sale, WILL NOT BE for sale and you do not appreciate her interference. If you are happy at the yard you're at now, stick it out. If not, move. Either way make sure the yard owner is aware that this woman does not have your permission to do anything at all with your horse under any circumstances. Report this to the local police and (if you have one) horsewatch schemes, keep a diary of each incident including times, dates, what happened, any incidents etc... and if you are a member of any organisation (e.g. the BHS, British Dressage etc...) take advice from their legal advice teams. From there on hold your head high, continue doing your best for your horse and call her bluff - if your horse is genuinely happy and healthy you have nothing to worry about! (I do speak from experience, had one "friend" reported my rather aged Thoroughbred for being underweight, sadly for said "friend" my vet was very aware of his ongoing liver and kidney problems and was fully aware of EVERYTHING we were doing to try and support him through his end days, keeping him happy and comfortable until we felt he was ready to say goodbye). Good luck! x

Adopter

Visit site
Please do take note of some of the advice you have been given, this woman has is a problem and is out of control, and could possibly have something like a personality disorder and you will not change her, she may get worse. You may not be the first to be treated this way, and probably not be the last unless she is stopped and given a warning.

Blackmail, harrasment, strong words and awful to receive, it needs to be stopped and reported to the police. Don't hesitate take action before something happens and you can not put the clock back, just think what she could do -either damages or steal your horse or target you personally.

I do think that the yard security is something you should consider, I would not like to think that someone could walk in and do things with my horse unless I had left specfic instructions that someone else would be calling.

Do let us know that you are OK, and hope you do something about this.

Last edited:

Oberon

Visit site
Personally I would be knocking on her door with a baseball bat in hand and would find an expressive way of making my point.......

......however I suspect that may not be the recommended course in civilized society :rolleyes:.

Queenbee

Visit site
My horse has always been on 24/7 turnout. She's a 3 year old, ISH. In the summer, a qualified vet advised me to take her off feed as she became overweight and the weight caused excessive strain on her legs.

Being the type that hates being stabled, I kept her on turnout with a medium-heavyweight rug on, with the weather being awful, checked her daily when the yard was quiet (as it's complete bitchiness otherwise!), she was fine. When I came up last night, her rug was completely torn, and ended up having to walk her through water that came up knee high on me, and stabled her.

She is on a bale of hay per night, and not on any feed. With turn out and grazing, she has lost a little weight, and her ribs are SLIGHTLY showing, but now have food ordered, as well as haylage.

However, I never thought the horse world would be so incredibly bitchy. I previously stabled on land a friend was renting, and she asked for £40 for the month. I paid this, and sold her a few things cheaply that she was in dire need of. She still has NOT paid anything, and kept all my things. It got to the point where I had to move, and she attempted to drop off my 16hh mare in the street to place in my front garden and leave.

Because I refused to sell my mare to her, they now do things in spite. Because she's lost a little weight, she took her out the field behind my back and started taking photos, and is now using them as blackmail, basically, I either give her my horse, or she reports me? Yet she kicks her foals if they refuse to move, places severely underweight rescue foals in torrential conditions without rugs, in which 1 sadly died.

She is consistently going up searching my horse on a yard that she doesn't even stable on! Takes her rugs on and brings her in without consent, (and she sent me pictures to prove!) She is consistently blackmailing, and threatening. Also found her rug completely cut apart. After looking at it closely, there was no rough edges, it was literally as if someone took scissors to it and cut it apart. The cut was completely perfect and straight, no rough edges whatsoever.

I've already moved once to get away from her, and I fear I'm going to have to do it again. My horse also now has thrush due to her field being flooded the past 2-3 days, and is prone to mud fever (which she doesn't have this time). But she is being treated for the thrush, feed is being delivered tomorrow and all new rugs are being bought also. I'm doing everything I can to sort her, and instead being threatened consistently to either give her up, or be reported.

I feel like I have no hope in this.

What would you do?

Collect evidence... Anything from her via text, answer phone, facebook etc and go to the police and charge her with harassment

Queenbee

Visit site
Personally I would be knocking on her door with a baseball bat in hand and would find an expressive way of making my point.......

......however I suspect that may not be the recommended course in civilized society :rolleyes:.

Ohhh my kind of gal.... Where's the like button? :D

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Its sounds like she needs reporting to the rspca for cruelty.

Let her report you, what will they do?
Your horse is well looked after.
They will be completely satisfied.

Why does your yard let her interfere with your horse?
Speak to them, tell them she is not to go near your horse or things.

It may even be worth contacting the police, as is sounds like harrasment

mandwhy

Visit site
Well having just read your other thread this is very odd behaviour and I would be making a record of any interactions you have with her, along with any evidence as mentioned above. What sort of yard are you on, does the YO live off site? Maybe you would be better moving to one where they can keep an eye, but I would be loathe to move because some crazy woman pushes you out... Does she know where you live?

Don't worry about being reported, welfare charities must have to deal with this sort of thing quite a lot and if you have nothing to hide then they can visit and call all your relevant vets etc if they want to.

I think what Adopter said is right, you won't be the first to have received this treatment and not the last either :-/