What to do??

rascal

Visit site
Hubby would like a sharer for his nice but cheeky shire x. I don't want anyone apart from us at the field.
After a really bad experience sharing our 12.2 a few years ago, im dead against doing it again, although we have had many lovely people share over the years, this last lot really put me off. They were a nightmare, stole the three yard cats, still have some of the ponys tack, never cleaned up after their dog or kids, when I told them to leave after 10 months of hell, they refused to give back the keys or the tack! The pony was supposed to be in a paddock with a small hole hay net, to keep his weight under control, they let him out 0n 8 acres of good grazing instead. We bought him happy hoof and high fibre cubes, she said she would get the feed and fed him cheap chaff that was full of sugar! They also used to leave our other horses stood in the stables for hours at a time with no bedding, when I did put some in they removed it??????????????
So why would we want to risk a repeat of that?

shmoo

Visit site
Hiya, I would hazzard a guess that a sharer for a shire x might be a different type of person than for a 12.2 ?

You'd probably get one adult, as opposed to a family. Take your time, pick and choose. The right person will find you, remember it's your horse, your land and your choice.

:)

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
That sounds a nightmare, not surprised it is putting you off. I would give it another go though. Vet them carefully, get a reference or two and have a probationary period, a clear cut list of rules (do's and don'ts). No keys to the tack room until you are completely satisfied. As you know from reading about sharers on here there are as many good sharers as bad.

rascal

Visit site
Hiya, I would hazzard a guess that a sharer for a shire x might be a different type of person than for a 12.2 ?

You'd probably get one adult, as opposed to a family. Take your time, pick and choose. The right person will find you, remember it's your horse, your land and your choice.

:)

It should have been our choice what happened to our horses before, but it wasn't. It was the mother of the girl who rode our pony we had all the problems with, she was supposed to be an adult! She told us they wanted to learn, but anything we tried to teach them she seemed to do the opposite. We asked them not to leave the horses in the stables for hours, but they carried on doing it. We said don't let the pony out on the grass, they DID. We had a proper water tub in the paddock so it couldn't be tipped over, they swopped it for one small bucket , not big enough. I got a dirty look when I went and swopped it back again! I said don't go out on the road without hi viz (supplied for pony & rider) they often went out without. Its no wonder we all fed up with them, its amazing it took 10 months to get rid.
Sadly we don't know anyone up to riding hubbys rather moody mare. No one has the experience she needs.

shmoo

Visit site
It should have been our choice what happened to our horses before, but it wasn't. It was the mother of the girl who rode our pony we had all the problems with, she was supposed to be an adult! She told us they wanted to learn, but anything we tried to teach them she seemed to do the opposite. We asked them not to leave the horses in the stables for hours, but they carried on doing it. We said don't let the pony out on the grass, they DID. We had a proper water tub in the paddock so it couldn't be tipped over, they swopped it for one small bucket , not big enough. I got a dirty look when I went and swopped it back again! I said don't go out on the road without hi viz (supplied for pony & rider) they often went out without. Its no wonder we all fed up with them, its amazing it took 10 months to get rid.
Sadly we don't know anyone up to riding hubbys rather moody mare. No one has the experience she needs.

Crikey - no wonder it put you off! People who share should respect the owners wishes.

Would/could a fixed list of conditions work? But then some people don't listen. I feel for you really do. And have no suggestions just support - doesn't help much eh? :eek: