What to do???

Groom Mum

Visit site
I am having a dilemma :((

The position i stupidly put my stables in has been a disaster with the muddy winter we have had.

IT is not getting better as its to the top of my wellies in sticky clay mud. I have just about been managing but my ponies are not coping well with it. The past week my older one has been really reluctant to come in and out of the shelter, even when he has really wanted to. I have even had to coax him with his feed to get him in, it upsets me. He is really scared and struggles like crazy to actually walk in this mess.

So this weekend i have some farmers coming to my land with a tractor to try gently to pull the whole block which is 36ft long 12 feet wide out to the other side of my field on to a hard surface. I was wondering if anyone else had ever moved their stables like this. It's on wooden skids, not metal ones. Im worried it will break up. So i was thinking whether it would be a better idea to just buy a second shelter and put that where i want it immediately then when i move the other one i could use that as a hay barn or a shelter in my other field. I really do not know what to do.

Shay

Visit site
Difficult to offer support without seeing your ground - other than some virtual <<<hugs>>>. You clearly need to do something. You can't leave the ponies in mess as bad as this seems.

If your shelter has been there a little while the wood will have rotted underneath and it is quite possible it can't now be moved (Watch out for planning enforcers!) Equally even if it is more recent it may well have sunk in to the mire. If the old one falls apart on movement you're going to have a scramble to get something new quickly. It might well be easier and cheaper (and possibly quicker!) to simply put a new shelter where you need it now.

Groom Mum

Visit site
IVe ordered a new shelter, being delivered and fitted this Monday !!! im so happy, and skint now !! but my ponies will be on concrete ground yay !!!!