What to dooooo? Entered BE80 but can't jump.

tashcat

Visit site
Don't worry about striding for 80.

Get him into a nice rhythmic canter before the jump, sit up and let him take himself to the jump. Don't push him into it because you're nervous - it will only stop him from seeing the jump and sorting himself out.

Good luck! :D

Annagain

Visit site
My boy used to jump much bigger than the 80-85 I do on him. I soon learned to get him into a good canter, kick him round the corners (he's happy to slow down at any opportunity) and then leave him alone on the approach to the fence to sort us both out. Never fails. It's even easier XC - just keep the speed up and leave him alone! It certainly sounds like he's a horse you can trust so just don't let yourself interfere.

I'm a total wimp and was scoring for a HT on Sunday. It was unaffiliated but at a BE venue. The 80 SJ looked tiny even to me. Not one fence bothered me. Go for it. Aim to get round rather than being competitive and you'll be fine.

Templebar

Visit site
Berriwood is lovely, everyone is friendly. Showjumping is usually a nicely flowing course, not often up to height and dont have any really scary fillers, they often don't put them fully in for the 80. The XC is again fairly flowing, the first four fences are in the starting field in a loop so the 1st and 2nd head away then 3 and 4 come back towards the warm up. In the next field again the fences are quite inviting, there is a tiny ditch, but i call it a scoop so you could walk through. The water is nice too and not complicated.

As others have said go do the DR then see how you feel when seeing the rest, you could always have a go then if its going wrong retire.

redriverrock

Visit site
I havent read all the answers to this so sorry if im repeating what others have said...personally i would go..its meant to be for beginners and also encouraging..thats what the T is there for. You will not be the only one who is nervous and lots of people wont go clear etc BUT if you dont go what have you achieved in your long term plan...do the dressage and have a play in the warm up...if its genuinely to much withdraw but seriously at least give it a go...do you know who will be on hand to help the BE80 lot...someone is normally there as a guide?

Patterdale

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone. Haven't been here for ages and I'd forgotten how lovely and knowledgeable everyone is :)

Well, it's tomorrow. I'm going. Haven't been able to ride for last two days...! And absolutely crapping myself.

Aaarrrrggghhhhhh!!!!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I walked the course with a friend today - it's lovely. Really inviting, flows well and it will jump nicely. The ditch has gone and I don't think there's anything particularly scary. There's a miniscule"drop" which is just a step with a tiny pole on top. You'll have a blast, looks like a great course. I thought they'd done a good job with the ground too as IME it tends to be either baked solid or a big at berriewood.

Patterdale

Visit site
I walked the course with a friend today - it's lovely. Really inviting, flows well and it will jump nicely. The ditch has gone and I don't think there's anything particularly scary. There's a miniscule"drop" which is just a step with a tiny pole on top. You'll have a blast, looks like a great course. I thought they'd done a good job with the ground too as IME it tends to be either baked solid or a big at berriewood.

Thank you! That's very kind :)
Does anyone know if there are course pictures anywhere?

Equi

Visit site
I think you are overthinking it all. You ARE capable of this, youve done muuuuuuch bigger harder jumps, just remind your self to let your body do what it already knows. Don't let your head rule you! You and the horse are all set up for it, you just need to get into it. After a jump or two you will be right back to 100s and forget you are doing piddle jumps :)

Good luck, and enjoy it! And if you get there and dont feel like it, well thats okay too. Its just a bit of fun, no pressure :)

Patterdale

Visit site
Hello!
SO sorry for not updating sooner - we had no internet for a while then I just totally forgot..!

Anyway - it was a total disaster ��
Thank you VERY VERY much to spacesfaer for very kindly giving your time to help me - I'm sorry you weren't repaid by getting to watch us go xc!

We were eliminated for three refusals in the SJ. He just said NO in capital letters. I was pretty annoyed at myself as I blamed my riding, and annoyed at him as I didn't feel my riding was really THAT crap to deserve 3 stops in an 80....but after a little reflection I decided that there must be something wrong. A good horse doesn't suddenly start stopping at little jumps because his rider is a bit of a wet lettuce.

So I got the saddler out. Turns out his saddle was not only a crap fit but was also damaged and would have been causing him pain. I've had a new one fitted and jumped him in it just to try it and he was like a different horse. Not doing much with him now until I can get the physio in 2 weeks (you've got to wait for everything in the sticks...!) so we're just hacking and doing bits of schooling.
Feeling much better about it all now we've got a reason but also feel v bad for getting after him when he must have been in pain, poor lad.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Hello!
SO sorry for not updating sooner - we had no internet for a while then I just totally forgot..!

Anyway - it was a total disaster ��
Thank you VERY VERY much to spacesfaer for very kindly giving your time to help me - I'm sorry you weren't repaid by getting to watch us go xc!

We were eliminated for three refusals in the SJ. He just said NO in capital letters. I was pretty annoyed at myself as I blamed my riding, and annoyed at him as I didn't feel my riding was really THAT crap to deserve 3 stops in an 80....but after a little reflection I decided that there must be something wrong. A good horse doesn't suddenly start stopping at little jumps because his rider is a bit of a wet lettuce.

So I got the saddler out. Turns out his saddle was not only a crap fit but was also damaged and would have been causing him pain. I've had a new one fitted and jumped him in it just to try it and he was like a different horse. Not doing much with him now until I can get the physio in 2 weeks (you've got to wait for everything in the sticks...!) so we're just hacking and doing bits of schooling.
Feeling much better about it all now we've got a reason but also feel v bad for getting after him when he must have been in pain, poor lad.

Sorry that it didn't work first time for a but Well done for realising something was wrong and getting it sorted. Look forward to your next attempt.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
So sorry it didn't go well. You were really brave and well done for attempting it.
I was reading this thread from the beginning not realising you'd already done it. I'd never have thought a BE 80 T or otherwise was a walkover. Glad you're ok xx

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What a shame. :(
Nice to have something real to point the finger at though, something fixable.
Still so impressed you saw it through!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Hey, thanks for updating!
So frustrating with the saddle situation, but sometimes these things are only blindingly obvious when you push yourself into that kind of situation....so silver linings and all that I guess. Good luck with the next one!

Patterdale

Visit site
look forward to seeing you again in August!

You too!! Thanks again!

sometimes these things are only blindingly obvious when you push yourself into that kind of situation....so silver linings and all that I guess. Good luck with the next one!

Yes - SO blindingly obvious! I'm more than slightly embarrassed but we all make mistakes. Poor pony though!!

Starbucks

Visit site
I feel EXACTLY the same, the things these rug rats have to answer for! I've got a baby horse but I think that maybe takes the pressure off a little. She doesn't stop but I'm always worrying she will randomly fall over the jump because I'm riding like a bag of s***e.

I think though, just ride forward and positively, he should be able to sort himself out over 80cm and I think at an event you tend to ride less rubbish than practicing.

I schooled round eland lodge BE80 yesterday and it wasn't very big at all and very straight forward. Sure you will be fine!