What to expect at adult camp?

myottbmay

New User
Visit site
I want to take my girl away to camp but i have no idea what to expect! i know we will have lessons in dressage, sj and xc but what things are there to do in the evening? i am completely new to this and have no idea what to expect so if anyone can manage my expectation that would be great!!!

ps. thinking of going to Eland lodge if that helps.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Eland Lodge camps are very social. Meals are taken together in a marquee, there are evening talks and the final day is a mock ODE
Which is fun. Facilities are great! The only thing I don’t like is the XC lesson. It’s basically their BE track so you jump a few, one at a time, then wait for everyone to do it. So horses have to be left behind and some struggle with that. Obviously if your horse gets stressed you can ask not to be last, but if everyone in the lesson has a horse who doesn’t want to be last…..

ponyparty

Visit site
Top tip: when telling non-horsey friends or colleagues you’re going to adult camp, don’t call it adult camp. Call it “horse camp” or something else that makes it clear it is horse-related, not… erm… “adult”. Speaking from experience 😳😬

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Top tip: when telling non-horsey friends or colleagues you’re going to adult camp, don’t call it adult camp. Call it “horse camp” or something else that makes it clear it is horse-related, not… erm… “adult”. Speaking from experience 😳😬
I was wondering if it was everybody gets tanked up in Sanatogen and then "hooks up", or else it's soup followed by a whist drive.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Havent been to Eland but in general, expect to need to pack more than you would for a 2 week non horsey holiday. If its hot you get sweaty and need a change, if its cold or wet you need lots of change.
Lots of snacks. Plenty to rehydrate.
Try and get yourself and horse as fit as possible beforehand. Makes it more enjoyable for both.
If it includes xc make sure your body protector meets new standards and skull cap. Where I go also requires a hair net.
Enjoy!

LJF0664

Visit site
If you go to Eland lodge, they use temporary stables which are on the small side (I think 10x10ft, but didn't measure it!), they also get quite warm if its sunny. You are however allowed to create a corral on grass to use during the day so make sure to take electric fencing - I really enjoyed the time 'hanging out' with the horses rather than them being stabled all the time as they are at other camps, but wouldn't have been happy with the amount of time in small stables if I'd not taken the fencing.

abbijay

Visit site
I find calling it horse camp just as bad ;) and immediately followed by American Pie quotes... But maybe that's just because I work with a bunch of immature boys:rolleyes: