what to expect..thinking infected leg

AJ & Kiz

Visit site
ok where to start ...I was jumping on sunday in our field (we have a sand track all the way around with jumps) when i'd finished jumping Kiz suddenly went lame, not drastically but was def lame i picked her hoof up and the cause was obvious ...blood down side of her frog.. i picked her hoof out, scrubbed it and then soaked in epsom salts and poulticed, went down to the yard on monday and we have a swollen leg all way up the tendon :(. I have the vet coming friday and im guessing it will be an antibiotics job? how long will it take to get better?

Thanks x

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I assume you have explained very clearly to the vet what is wrong and they have said "Oh don't worry, it'll be fine till Friday" because from what you describe I'd have been wanting the vet out a darn sight sooner than that!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree you need the vet now, I wouldnt leave it if that is an infection from the foot going up the leg it can cause all sorts of damage, a friend of mines horse had an abccess that traveled up the leg to the tendon sheath, needed to have an operation to have it flushed then had to stay at the vets for weeks. Infecton in the tendon sheath are really hard to get rid of.

amage

Visit site
It's Wednesday, the injury happened Sunday, there was significant swelling Monday.....vet should have been there YESTERDAY AT THE LATEST!!!! Antibiotics should have been in there straight away

sjp1

Visit site
Yes, it will be antibiotics. And the injectible will act a lot quicker and faster than the powders - but all depends on your vet I guess.

I would tend to agree with the other posters - I certainly would have him out a lot quicker, and if he can't find one that can.

AJ & Kiz

Visit site
before u all make me out to be the bad owner i phoned up as soon as i found the cut i was told to poultice and clean the hoof, i did this and called to say it had swelled i was told it was because i kept her in and poulticed it, I have called back and the vet is now coming tomorrow they only have one vet on at the min. I trust my vet so I know that he knows his stuff

thanks anyhow but all sorted now x

pansymouse

Visit site
Cold hosing might help - my mare has swelling from a cut too and that's what my vet has me doing to compliment the antibiotics. She had an injection on Saturday midday and has had 3 doses of oral anitbiotics so far and the swelling is about half what it was. I'm hoping to see further improvement when I go up this evening. My vet has advised me turn her out and to hack her gently as movement will help reduce the swelling. She's not lame and the cut is near her cannon bone.

Hope your girl is better soon.

Bertolie

Visit site
My gelding had a small piece of wood puncture his frog. Vet called next day as he wasn't lame straight off, farrier discovered it next day. Vet called immediately, intravenous antibiotics given but infection continued up the leg. Xrays taken to determine whether the infection was in the joint and luckily it wasn't as otherwise he would have been pts. It took 5 weeks of intramuscular antibiotics and a further two weeks of powdered antibiotics before the infection cleared. He also had a plate fitted between hoof and shoe for 6 months following the incident. Thankfully he made a full recovery.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I assume you have explained very clearly to the vet what is wrong and they have said "Oh don't worry, it'll be fine till Friday" because from what you describe I'd have been wanting the vet out a darn sight sooner than that!

Exactly. Infection = immediate action.

AJ & Kiz

Visit site
vet has been out shes on antibiotics had her tet as shes due next month and im scrubbing her hoof and cleaning with iodine fingers crossed for a fast recovery thanks everyone x

Bendyhorse

Visit site
in all seriousness, mine had a odd swelling and i rang the vet in the morning and he was there that afternoon...look in veterinary under "not fir the faint hearted" to see the results.