What to feed a 3 year old?

Lauren95

Visit site
hi guys, just looking at what everyone feeds their 3 year olds? I'm soon to be getting one and unsure as to what hard feed to put him on so that he gets the best out of his diet. He will have grass and hay. And for his feed obviously chaff, but what else would be good in his feed? He's an ish and standing at about 15.2 with a good weight on him for this time of year if this helps.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I wouldn't feed him until he needs a hard feed, during the winter!

when my horse arrived at 18 months old, he was put on fast fibre and molasses free hi fi. hes now 5 and still has the same feed! as does my 30yr old mare and my mini shetland

westerngirl

Visit site
our youngsters just have a feed balancer, no chaff, then you know they are getting all the vits etc they need. they only get extra in the winter when the weather is wet and windy.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Agree, do not try to overfeed, best to keep weight monitored weekly weightape, he should probably maintain constant weight right through to xmas, but will look slimmer as his frame is growing, he can actually grow in fits and spurts, look too skinny then recover, keep him slim never fat. He will gain weight from now to next year due to growth, so next summer he should be maybe 5-10% heavier.
Make sure he has minerals: if the grass is cow pasture, mono culture give him a broad mineral mix eg equimins, else Fast Fibre which is basic feed, add 25gms micronised linseed late autumn, more if he needs a bit more condition. 25gms of salt every day.
As long as he keeps growing bum high he will keep growing.

Last edited:

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
My foals get a teensy bit of concentrates over their weaning winter and then have NO concentrates until they are being backed from late 3 year olds/early 4 year olds. They get all the decent quality haylage they could eat and a mineral lick - that's it.

TBs/Warmbloods MIGHT need a bit more and if I had them to worry about I'd use a Stud Balancer (Baileys is very good for brood mares or youngstock.) Growth needs protein - not a lot of carbohydrates which most horse feeds are.