What to feed a spooky good doer who lacks energy?

Doormouse

Visit site
Ok, I know you are all thinking, is she mad? It does sound a bit like it to be fair!

My 5 year old warmblood x welsh cob is a fairly laid back individual who gets fat on thin air but she can be very spooky. I wouldn't mind if she wasn't very short and lacking in front which means an average spook has one hanging out the side door! She works well but does seem to run out of energy quicker than I would like. I appreciate that this will continue to improve with her maturing and also fitness but I don't want to feel I am pushing her if she is not getting enough food to do the job. I have found that food is inclined to make her a bit frivolous!

She currently lives in a fairly bare paddock at night and is in with unsoaked hay during the day. Weight ok at present.

We have tried:
Topspec AntiLam Balancer
Topchop lite (won't eat it)
Bit of energy but still lacking - not silly on this

Simple Systems Lucie Fibre Nuts
Simple Systems Metaslim
Dead as a Dodo - definitely not silly on this

Both companies suggested feeding higher protein food 20 mins before working - made not a jot of difference.

Now on
Equimins Balancer
Fast Fibre
3 Grass nuts (they make her feel loved)
Copra Coolstance (half a mug full)
Lots of energy - a bit silly on this.

Any other ideas please?

ihatework

Visit site
I would trial cutting out the fast fibre and coolstance, one at a time, to see if either of those is the problem.

Another thing to consider is what grass growth is happening - they are getting spring grass at the moment which is often a reason for spookiness. What time of year were the other feed regime fed?

Doormouse

Visit site
It is the copra, cut that out a week ago and she is much less spooky but lacking energy again.

Other regimes were during the summer last year and as she was only 4 I was hoping that a certain amount of the problem was weakness but although she is better this year she still just seems to need something to call on when schooling.

JillA

Visit site
Magnesium oxide. Spooking at stuff they ought not to have a problem with can be a symptom of magnesium deficiency - try it for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference. It did to mine, 10 years ago and he has never looked back.

acorn92x

Visit site
I would second magnesium and cutting out the copra (This turned one of the horses on my yard into a raving lunatic who was so spooky and dramatic, he was positively dangerous to ride. Took him off of it and he had returned to his usual sensible self within 4-5 days). Also, how fit is she? She could be lacking energy because she is lacking fitness! Some horses can also use spooking as an evasion to working properly, especially if they lack confidence or don't fully understand what is being asked of them.