what to feed to gain weight

ylarner

New User
Visit site
I have a 16.1hh 13yo TB who loses weight over the winter months. he is in light work, has adlib haylage at night, grass during the day. he is rugged. I feed him recommended amounts of topspec comp balancer, ulsarkind, grass meadow chaff, micronised linseed, Alfabeet. i cannot feed anything that makes him 'fizzy'. teeth fine. He is wormed but still he continues to lose weight. what else can I do?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
To maintain/increase weight. we have fed the elderly on soaked grassnuts, speedibeet grass chaff and linseed, in varying proportions. Your regime sounds very similar, could you increase the number of meals?

4faults

Visit site
I have had excellent results feeding slobbermash to horses that needed more weight and it also didn’t hot any of them up. May be worth a go

Sauerkraut

Visit site
I had great result with Baileys No 4 for my TB without fizzing up. He even went bonkers on things like calm and condition for Alan Page or anything with molasses in.

I now have welsh D who needs the sparks lol.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
10/10 would recommend Equijewel every time. It's expensive but you don't feed much. Keyflow Key Plus is another less expensive option. Rice bran is the go-to for cool calories in the US, just a shame you can't buy it by the bag here because it's much cheaper as the powdered raw product!

gina2201

Visit site
I used to feed Topspec Ulsakind, Comprehensive balancer, Alfa A oil, but my two TBs always dropped a bit and looked ribby during winter. Appreciate they naturally do however I then changed to Baileys Ease and Excel, and they are both doing really well on it for the past 18 months or so, both looking well covered and healthy, natural shine to the coats.

I tried Pink mash, I tried Rowen Barbary mash, amongst others to add weight but EE has been brilliant for them both! And one of mine, who went through ulcer treatment also scoped completely clear whilst being fed this throughout treatment so confident it's not upsetting her.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
adlib hay/haylage 2/7. Plus a morning feed of 1 scoop Sugar beet and 1scoop grass nuts all soaked, with 1 mug micronised linseed and in the evening the same again, but with 2 mugs micronized linseed. And add a tablespoon of brewers yeast to the evening feed.

Mule

Visit site
Adding oil to his feed might do the trick. It worked for one of mine. I think you'll have to use trial and error to find the right amount. Depending on the oil you use, it's a cheap way of increasing their calories.