what to feed?

jewel

Visit site
i've not been feeding my boy as he was too fat but with all this rain he is starting to drop weight a little. so what would you feed a 3 year old section d is a good doer but just need a little extra. bailey's lo-cal? and if so what with or by it's self

Tinkle

Visit site
The Lo-Cal won't put weight on him but will make sure he's getting all the correct nutrients - a balanced diet in other words.

Are you restricting his grazing at all? If so, just letting him have a little more by strip grazing may just give him a bit of a boost weight wise. Fibre is the most natural thing for them so if you aren't able to increase his grass intake you could supplement his feed with a high-fibre, but higher energy feed. Something from the Alfa-A/Hi-Fi range could work quite well with the balancer on top if you wish (or one of Dengie's vitamin supplements which are also good). Give Dengie a call - I found them very helpful and my mare was fed mostly Dengie fibre products last winter (plus her Top Spec balancer) and did very well.

Hope that helps.

x

Tinkle

Visit site
If he's coming in at night up his haylage and see how he goes. If you still feel he needs more then I'd always says go for fibre before a mix.

If you genuinely think he's just wussy and cold you could always stick a rug on him for the worst of the weather. I'm leaving mine unrugged at the mo but they've just moved field and are a couple of fatties. And, of course, (not to suggest you don't keep up with it) make sure he's up-to-date with all his worming.

x

jewel

Visit site
worm count came back no eggs found, he is rugged in the daytime. he already has loads on haylage always a little left in the morning

Spyda

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hay

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm another one who'd suggest ad-lib hay - ooops, or haylage. Sorry missed that bit of your thread.

I've fed AlfaA to my youngsters at this time of year but find it winds them up a bit too much. I'd stick with Baileys Low Cal Balancer and lots of nice quality hay/haylage. If you wanted to bulk his pellets out, maybe add a bit of Hi Fi or something like that. Not to add weight, but just open the feed more for him.

[ QUOTE ]
feed balancers contain too much protein for native good doers

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be surprised if the Low Cal version does.