What to look for in a young potential eventer?

BritishEquestrian

Visit site
Hi all

Have been interested recently in the Irish event horse sales such as Monart & Goresbridge and it got me wondering what do you look for in a short 1 minute video which includes a trot each rein, picture and free jump down 2/3 jumps to more or less decide whether you think the horse would be a conformation & obviously tempermenytemperment if seeing the horse in person.

I understand technique, conformation etc but what kind of technique specifically say would you look for in these horses and anything else that say a professional would consider when watching these videos especially since many buy over the phone! Not looking to buy and obviously if I ever did would take a professional anyway..

Thank you :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Could you even start to guess at just a minute of footage.

I would be looking at breeding and delving back into stallion and dam/dam sire achievements.

quizzie

Visit site
This is one of those very open ended questions, as it depends on what level of eventing you are talking about, plus personal preferences.

For myself, looking for a horse to go 2 * plus, I look for a horse with an outgoing temperament, with a sparkle in its eye.

Its conformation must fill a "square box" with a sloping shoulder, straight limbs, & I will not buy anything with an upright hind limb or too upright a pastern.

In movement, it needs to be reasonably free/supple with good separation of the hind limbs when cantering.....indicates an ability to gallop.,and an easy loose walk....a lift in the trot is a bonus!.

When jumping, it must lift its shoulder./knee, a trailing lower limb can be improved, but a trailing upper limb will risk a rotational XC over bigger fences.

It is often very interesting to see a reaction to making a mistake when loose jumping.....what does it do next time....gives you a lot of clues to its potential attitude to XC.

But everyone will have their own criteria that suit their individual preferences/ experience/ level of competing, plus how quickly they want results!.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This is one of those very open ended questions, as it depends on what level of eventing you are talking about, plus personal preferences.

For myself, looking for a horse to go 2 * plus, I look for a horse with an outgoing temperament, with a sparkle in its eye.

Its conformation must fill a "square box" with a sloping shoulder, straight limbs, & I will not buy anything with an upright hind limb or too upright a pastern.

In movement, it needs to be reasonably free/supple with good separation of the hind limbs when cantering.....indicates an ability to gallop.,and an easy loose walk....a lift in the trot is a bonus!.

When jumping, it must lift its shoulder./knee, a trailing lower limb can be improved, but a trailing upper limb will risk a rotational XC over bigger fences.

It is often very interesting to see a reaction to making a mistake when loose jumping.....what does it do next time....gives you a lot of clues to its potential attitude to XC.

But everyone will have their own criteria that suit their individual preferences/ experience/ level of competing, plus how quickly they want results!.

Agreed, but that is a proper viewing/trying situation, rather than a bit of video and a photo.

quizzie

Visit site
True.....but it's surprising how often these issues are apparent in even brief videos.....and often poor photos.......mind you having said all that.....I'm as good as anyone else at buying the wrong horse...even when I know what I should be getting....and even the most promising prospect sometimes simply doesn't take to eventing!!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
True.....but it's surprising how often these issues are apparent in even brief videos.....and often poor photos.......mind you having said all that.....I'm as good as anyone else at buying the wrong horse...even when I know what I should be getting....and even the most promising prospect sometimes simply doesn't take to eventing!!

Very true, I bought a horse whose photos were stunning but in the flesh I wasn't overly impressed. Turned into the best horse I have ever had.

PorkChop

Visit site
The most important things for me would be a really good shoulder, a kind eye and a "can do" attitude - by that I mean inquisitive, forward thinking.

ollierdog

Visit site
I regularly buy from gorsebridge both for myself and others, last July I was in the market for a young horse to produce to event, for me they have to be well put together with no major faults although I wouldn't disregard a horse for something small as it doesn't mean it won't do the job, a big must is a well set neck and something built uphill as Iv learnt the hard way of something built down hill is a lot harder to work with on the flat! Jumping wise I like to see horses ridden by more of an amateur rider than a pro, a pro is more likely to get a good stride time and time again as well as hiding quirks. I also do like to see a horse jump a bigger fence just to see their reaction. I don't worry about breeding particularly I just look at the horse in front of me, a horse can be very well bred and that can help but it doesn't mean to say it will have the temperament to do the job! When I went last July I spotted a 16hh bay rising 5 yr old gelding, he looked smart, was very chilled out, was well put together, built uphill, good set neck, I watched him being ridden he jumped upto 1.30m with not a total amateur but by no means a professional, he came in the same rhythm each time and it all looked very natural to him, at times he didn't have the best stride but the horses attitude didn't change, I then rode him for 2 laps of the outdoor, quick walk trot canter, very good canter needed work but there was lots of work with, he dished very slightly left fore, had a small raised lump on his right hind cannon, we bought him, he has gone from never eventing to BE novice in a season, last event a 30 dressage and a DC getting him 2nd place, he is very competitive and there is plenty of jump there! He is a horse of a lifetime aged 6 and I wish I could buy 100 of him but it doesn't always work this way, Iv had some bad horse who have ticked all the boxes on paper and some very very good who have been a punt! It is all risk with a bit of look thrown in there! You could get the horse home and it may not go xc, it may have everything under the sun wrong with it with the best confo and breeding in the world....it all comes down to risk!

BritishEquestrian

Visit site
Ideally I was thinking yes 1/2* but again interested in what the professionals would say and want looking for a top prospect. Good points, I must say I do like looking through the videos & even then I pick up quite a few I don't particularly like (In my opinion) & wouldn't buy if I had the chance. Would love to go to Monart/Goresbridge go for gold one year!

wkiwi

Visit site
As a horse to sell on, I would look at the jumping videos and freeze frame one to check the horse wasn't jumping over its shoulder (see if the forearm was roughly horizontal and not down/back, but it does depend on height of fence) - as said above, rotational falls are an increased risk if it isn't lifting its knees up. On the flat I would look for basic conformation to stay sound and movement that didn't look uncomfortable. Good looking to make it easy to sell on, and reasonably priced in case I made a mistake.
As a 'keeper' for myself, I would always have to ride them first. A horse can look stunning but have no 'brain' on it and I need my event horses to be brave and clever (for when I am not -LOL). Happy with a 10 minute ride and don't need to canter if it is a baby, but it must feel like it is having a conversation through the reins (doesn't have to be trained, just 'alive') and that it is interested in what is going on around us (in an intelligent way). Hard to explain, but I know it when i feel it. Must also be sound etc. but I pick on brains before beauty - I wouldn't have bought some of my best horses if I had seen them on video before I rode them!

cundlegreen

Visit site
As a small time breeder of eventers, my first criteria is a horse who is bold and wants to go forward. Close up second is a really good front leg over a fence. I hate "danglers"!. Mine are all welsh D cross TB's, and my "D" stallion has a really quick front end which he passes on. All mine need stud girths! Straight limbs mean the horse's career will last longer, and minor confo faults wouldn't bother me. I find the pony crosses are quick thinking and really enjoy a challenge. They can get bored quickly though! Pic of one of mine, showing the good front end.....

becky%20poplar%20novice%202015%201280x853_zpsffesyr8a.jpg

Last edited:

BritishEquestrian

Visit site
As a small time breeder of eventers, my first criteria is a horse who is bold and wants to go forward. Close up second is a really good front leg over a fence. I hate "danglers"!. Mine are all welsh D cross TB's, and my "D" stallion has a really quick front end which he passes on. All mine need stud girths! Straight limbs mean the horse's career will last longer, and minor confo faults wouldn't bother me. I find the pony crosses are quick thinking and really enjoy a challenge. They can get bored quickly though! Pic of one of mine, showing the good front end.....

becky%20poplar%20novice%202015%201280x853_zpsffesyr8a.jpg

Definitely agree with the snappy legs - your picture demonstrates the definition of snappy quite well haha.

Absolutely gorgeous horse 😍! Do you sell them or is it purely a hobby type thing?

cundlegreen

Visit site
Definitely agree with the snappy legs - your picture demonstrates the definition of snappy quite well haha.

Absolutely gorgeous horse ��! Do you sell them or is it purely a hobby type thing?

I haven't bred anything for years, since my husband got diagnosed with cancer, and the recession hit. The homebreds from back then, are really doing well, so I've bought a teenage broodmare for my teenage stallion, and she's due next June. She is the dam of Hartpury Sky is the Limit, so fingers crossed, I get something a bit special!
Re the picture, that jump is 1-10m and the mare is 15.2hh. She's just jumped clear XC at her first attempt at Intermediate.

Suziq77

Visit site

I'm based in the south east and I covet Cundlegreen Darius! What an absolute star he is already, you must be very proud to have bred him :)

cundlegreen

Visit site
I'm based in the south east and I covet Cundlegreen Darius! What an absolute star he is already, you must be very proud to have bred him :)

I'm having great fun keeping up with his progress through his owners. I sold him as a foal, and am now trying to arrange a repeat mating, but the mare didn't take this year. Hopefully a sibling for darius next year.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Impressive picture BE - I would buy him!

Remember the thread back in the summer when someone had been to look at a horse that kept crashing into a small jump?
It just didn't seem to learn from its mistakes. EVERYONE said walk away.

Ian Stark memorably said that the most important thing in an event horse was the desire to get to the other side of the fence - which I suppose translates into being bold and genuine and liking to jump. In these days of professional riders with owners with deep pockets looking out for Badminton horses, I guess the person with a smaller budget will have to take the ones that don't pass the professional's tests. So you might have to compromise on movement, size, type - but you can still have lots of fun and maybe even find that Badminton horse.

Nicnac

Visit site

Agree - his rider is pretty impressive too. Super team and Badminton bound.

Having just returned from a few days at the Goresbridge sales I admit to being rather confused and agreeing with the first response that you really need to do a lot of research into dam and sire performance. There were a lot of lovely horses with recognised eventing breeding who didn't do that well price wise and others who commandeered a good price with breeding that I didn't always recognise (I am not an expert; far from it). I also think that going to the sales buying for yourself clouds your view a little as we all have preferences for type/colours/markings etc. whereas the pros will be more objective. I didn't buy; but boy was I tempted! Will definitely return as feel I learned a hell of a lot and would feel more prepared next time. Snappy front end definitely an important point as well as learning from their mistakes.

There were some riders who presented their horses beautifully (and yes they were pro show jumpers) others lacked their finesse but showed the horse's greenness as weren't as polished as the pros in hiding things.

I actually preferred seeing the 3 yo yesterday (although many were distraught by being away from home for the first time) as unridden you could really see how their brains worked if that makes sense.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Agree - his rider is pretty impressive too. Super team and Badminton bound.

Having just returned from a few days at the Goresbridge sales I admit to being rather confused and agreeing with the first response that you really need to do a lot of research into dam and sire performance.
Well if you applied that to Darius you wouldn't have touched him with a bargepole! Sire has the T shirt, but the dam was a stresshead who never raced. Good racing bloodlines further back, but nothing that screamed eventer......

Nicnac

Visit site
Well if you applied that to Darius you wouldn't have touched him with a bargepole! Sire has the T shirt, but the dam was a stresshead who never raced. Good racing bloodlines further back, but nothing that screamed eventer......

Hence my confusion.

TGM

Visit site
There are no guarantees with chosing unproven youngstock, as the case above proves. BUT, I think you can narrow the chances down a bit. If all other factors are equal, you are probably more likely to have success with a youngster with good sound conformation, excellent movement, a naturally good jumping technique, a fab temperament and good breeding for the job both sides of the pedigree, than you would with one with an upright shoulder, dodgy legs, choppy paces, dangly forelegs when jumping and unproven parentage! You may have to compromise on some aspects if your budget is limited, but having an ideal to aim for is always a good thing.