What to look for in a youngster?

aradiagreen

Visit site
Hi,

I'm off to see a 18month old gelding tomorrow with a friend who's wanting a project for the future. What would you look for in a horse this age? I guess its temperament and conformation? Any advice on things to look out for? I'm supposed to be the voice of reason!

Oscar

Visit site
Best thing to do is ask for lots of pics of horse as a foal, they can be a bit scrawny, and out of proper alignment at this age. Might be bum high etc. Also try and see mum if possible, check her for confirmation & paces as chances are baby will be more like her than stallion.

The horse should be friendly, should be interested in you, but not be too shy nor too up in your face.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Many horses are fuglies at 18 months so agree about foal pics! The best thing is you are getting the horse young enough to mould it, providing Mum has a good temperament as well then it should be pretty good.

I decided to buy my filly (3yo unbroken) the minute I met her, she was still with Mum and Mum was such a lovely happy calm generous temperament I knew I couldn't go wrong. cancelled all the other viewings and bought her. 6 years later I know every day I made the right decision.

also see how well they handle, feet, head etc.

cob&onion

Visit site
I bought both my horses at around 10/11 months of age.

The cob was spotted in a field close by, she was lovely, very friendly and such a nice type.
I met her mum who was also lovely and after hearing about how good her mum was i decided to take the plunge. 4 years on and i have no regrets! cob is all i wanted and more :)
The D again was spotted in the field by the same breeder i got cobby from, again lovely temperment and he just had the whole look at me attitude! always wanted a welsh D (a black one with 4 white socks) and he came along at the right time :p he is now 3 and hoping to back him next year,:)

Blitzen

Visit site
I bought my lad at 21 months (he's just turned 4! Where does the time go?!). He was a scraggy colt, for sale for next to nothing, but he had a kind eye and moved straight so I took a punt! Best chance I ever took, that boy - he's amazing! :)