What to look for when buying a trailer

wallykissmas

Visit site
I'm now on the hunt for a double Ifor , not too fussed on which one but must have alloy floor and be in good condtion. Any advise on what to look for and to make sure it doesn't or doesn't have.

Am super excited and just got to pass my b+e.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I got a very nice oldish IW fairly cheaply probably because it had a wooden floor. But the floor was in perfect condition. Just make sure you lift the rubber and poke around (in the corners especially) with a screw driver to make sure it really IS sound). It should be the resin type of floor, I wouldn't entertain one that has been replaced with ply. I suspect most got as far as asking about the floor and didn't view because it was wood.

Later, when I was adjusting the brakes, I noticed rusting on the inside of the wheel rims so hit it with a hammer to knock it off. The rims were rotten with rust, but that was not noticeable from the outside. I bought replacement rims off a dealer that were new but slightly marked for £10 each. So check underneath including chassis and wheel rims.

Are the brakes seized? Check the linkages. Jack the wheels up one at a time and check that they rotate smoothly and the brakes work. New parts are expensive.

Don't forget to check the serial number with IW in case it is stolen!

If in doubt, get it checked over by an IW dealer. Some can be very helpful as they know you will be back sometime buying a new one!

Sprig

Visit site
Tyres too. Not just the tread but check the side walls for cracks/sun damage. This can lead to a blow out and quite often trailer tyres need replacing before the tread is worn down.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm now on the hunt for a double Ifor , not too fussed on which one but must have alloy floor and be in good condtion. Any advise on what to look for and to make sure it doesn't or doesn't have.

Am super excited and just got to pass my b+e.

One good advice I was given is to get one of these>>>.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Master-Cl...pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item53fef3d70b

And test the inside floor all round the edges for signs of rotting floor, by the sound change when it hits a dodgy bit.

Check trailer for security marks on roof and under floor in case stolen
check the underneath for signs of damage
and any other damage , check tyres and take a mechanic with you.

Here this may be useful >>>http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/horsexbox--trailer.html

wallykissmas

Visit site
One good advice I was given is to get one of these>>>.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Master-Cl...pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item53fef3d70b

And test the inside floor all round the edges for signs of rotting floor, by the sound change when it hits a dodgy bit.

Check trailer for security marks on roof and under floor in case stolen
check the underneath for signs of damage
and any other damage , check tyres and take a mechanic with you.

Here this may be useful >>>http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/horsexbox--trailer.html

We have one of those for sharpening knifes , hope the sellers don't mind me wielding it around their trailer,mouses if they do its something to hide.

Clava

Visit site
I got a very nice oldish IW fairly cheaply probably because it had a wooden floor. But the floor was in perfect condition. Just make sure you lift the rubber and poke around with ply. I suspect most got as far as asking about the floor and didn't view because it was wood.
(in the corners especially) with a screw driver to make sure it really IS sound). It should be the resin type of floor, I wouldn't entertain one that has been replaced

!

What do you mean the resin floor type? , do you mean Buffalo board which is just ply which has a resin surface. It is still ply and will rot if the edges are allowed to get wet constantly. I have no problem with a 25mm hardwood ply floor but it must be treated (yacht varnish or similar) and carefully maintained.

Last edited: