What to pack!?

Clofox

Visit site
Hi all,
This is my first post in a loooonnng time! Been so busy but now enjoying some time off!

So me an my little fluff ball are leaving the yard for the first time together! We are off to the Hatfield House Sponsored Ride in October. Having never left the yard before in a lorry although my fluff ball has done it loads of times with previous owners, I was wondering what I will need to take with me?

She will of course be traveled in all the correct gear and so far i have got a list of:
Tack (saddle cloths,boots ect.)
Few brushes
Exercise sheet
turnout/fleece/cooler (for after ride and in case it's cold or raining while were waiting)
Bucket and water canister
Hay/Haynets, feed
First aid kit

There's most probably some really obvious stuff I've left out but i'm not used to travelling!
I know October is a long way of yet, BUT i'm SO excited :D and thought spacing out the spending of new gear over a period of time would be easier and plus, I love being organised!

Thanks for any replies. x

nix123

Visit site
Don't think you'll need a turnout rug. I would pack:
Saddle, girth, saddle cloth, bridle
Hat, body protector (if using one) crop, gloves
Horse boots (if using)
Cooler blanket/fleece, travel boots & tail guard (if using)
Bucket & water
Brush & sponge, sudocream (just incase of any nicks or scratches afterwards)
Haynet
and most importantly yourself and a smile
Have fun

hnmisty

Visit site
I always chucked in a TO in case it was raining, doesn't seem much fun to me to be tied to the outside of a trailer in the pouring rain.

Everything I'd taken has been covered by both posts already. Just don't forget lunch for yourself! :p

Have fun! :D

nix123

Visit site
I understand why you said turnout rug now. :) I use a clear plastic rain mack. I bought it from robinsons, it was only cheap too and folds up to nothing. A lot less hassle than a rug.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I always pack spare Reins and a stirrup leather - Its sort of for luck now really!
Hoof pick!
Water for you
snack bar for you?
I'm always really paranoid about not being able to load -so lunge line and bribes (they are like that umbrella you think you wont need when you just pop to the shops)
Is it one of those Rides that make you wear a medical armband???

Clofox

Visit site
Thank you! Must remember food for myself and some drinks, lunge line is must! Thanks!
It doesn't say, on the rules it mentions an identification number which i guess gets sent through with everything else, I do have a BEIDS tag for both me in a bracelet form and for my ponio which clips on the saddle, if (fingers crossed we won't!!) me and the ponio part company, they ring the number on either my bracelet or Fox's tag and quote the id number and they are able to gain access details to my medical records and emergency contacts for me and Fox which i filled in online!! A must for anyone away from the yard! even wear out hacking! X

Happy Hunter

Visit site
Dnt suppose you could pop up a link to that tag - sounds great! - I have my mobile number on the saddle - but its to My mobile or home (no use if im out cold and Mum doesnt answer!)

Tobiano

Visit site
oo exciting clofox!! Great fun to plan too isnt it :)

Some random thoughts on stuff to take -
- take a skip and fork as often venues like you to clean up after your horse
- take a spare top for yourself (in fact I often take a full change of clothes) esp if you wear a body protector as you will be dripping at the end and it is not much fun driving back like that
- map to get to venue, your insurance and breakdown details!!
- i usually take a small bum bag so i can carry a mobile phone
- on an endurance ride or longer pleasure ride you would benefit from a water bottle attached to the saddle (google performance equestrian for these)
- spare bits of baler twine (or whatever you use to tie up on) and lead rope in case horsy breaks one
- i have a first aid kit that i keep in the lorry
- mounting block if you need one (or you can try mounting from the ramp but I dont like to do that as think its a bit dangerous)
- towels (always handy but keep them away from the hay)
- i also take a small plastic bucket (household type) for discreet calls of nature in the back of the lorry (sorry all!)

I always take about 20 times as much stuff as I need :)
Have a fab time!

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
I always pack spare socks, pants, jodhpurs and a jumper. I hate the thought of travelling home wet either from weather or a dunking. I also make sure there is a knife somewhere just in case there is an emergency and I need to cut a pony free.

Clofox

Visit site
Spare clothes good thinking, aswell as bailer twine!! Whatever i don't take i know i will need! If anyone goes and they see some over prepared/protective mother with a lorry bursting at the seams, come up and say hello, it will be me!!!