What to use on legs

Charlie007

Visit site
As in my previous post, a friend has asked me to groom for her at a show. Her horse has had tendon problems before on both hinds. As the ground looks like it will be hard, what would be the best product to use after the class to help his legs recover? There is so much more on the market now as opposed to when we used to apply clay then wrap in brown paper!!!!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Link?
I know Equine Americas Like Ice contains something (sorbo... something) which helps cool and soothe the legs, whenever I put it on it certainly feels cold on my hand

Auslander

Visit site
Is there not evidence now to show that clay actually heats the legs?

Yes! I had very long conversations with various vets, and the research team at Hartpury about cooling for an article I wrote recently.
There's a reason why clay cooking pots are so good at their job - they are fantastic at insulating and preventing heat loss.

Auslander

Visit site
Link?
I know Equine Americas Like Ice contains something (sorbo... something) which helps cool and soothe the legs, whenever I put it on it certainly feels cold on my hand

Try leaving it on your hand for 25 mins (recommended min time for optimum cooling) whilst wearing a glove.

Lolo

Visit site
I dislike clays, because they will act as insulators very rapidly, and don't really cool that much IMO.

We use tubigrips on the legs, and put in those freezer bag icepacks between the 2 layers. The ice bags take about 3 hours to totally melt, and so 3 hours of strong cooling... It's also very cheap and easy :D

ellie_e

Visit site
Yes! I had very long conversations with various vets, and the research team at Hartpury about cooling for an article I wrote recently.
There's a reason why clay cooking pots are so good at their job - they are fantastic at insulating and preventing heat loss.
Knew I wasn't going mad... Yet! I believe I've also read that 20 mins cooling time of ice is enough, any longer and you can damage hair etc?
Try the premier equine cold boots, and an arnica type gel, the one I've been using is from robinsons I think it's called like ice or similar, in a blue/grey pump bottle.

Auslander

Visit site
Knew I wasn't going mad... Yet! I believe I've also read that 20 mins cooling time of ice is enough, any longer and you can damage hair etc?
Try the premier equine cold boots, and an arnica type gel, the one I've been using is from robinsons I think it's called like ice or similar, in a blue/grey pump bottle.

Research into tendon cooling shows that any less than 25mins doesn't cool the tendons sufficiently. I've been using a Zamar machine on 25 min alt hot/cold(-5) cycles on my lad for the last two weeks, and the hair on his legs is fine. I'll ask the people I've been speaking to though - they're bound to be able to clarify

ellie_e

Visit site
Research into tendon cooling shows that any less than 25mins doesn't cool the tendons sufficiently. I've been using a Zamar machine on 25 min alt hot/cold(-5) cycles on my lad for the last two weeks, and the hair on his legs is fine. I'll ask the people I've been speaking to though - they're bound to be able to clarify
Interesting, I saw this ( bottom of page on hct gel wraps)
http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Boot_Wraps.html

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I asked a similar question on another forum recently and the consensus seemed to be that cool boots or gels/preparations are a waste of money, and that the best thing would be washing down several times with iced water.