what to wear under a body protecter during summer?

sparklypickle

Visit site
The temperature is starting to ramp up now and I'm wondering what people choose to ride in during hot weather - especially those who wear a body protector - is their ANY way to avoid being a giant sweaty mess? how about compression tops? cotton vest? or just soak yourself in water before donning the bp? I havent found a good answer that doesnt involve removing the bp! I've invested in some summer-weight joddy's which are relatively cool but thats only half of the battle!

wiglet

Visit site
I just wear a cycling type vest top or a thin t-shirt. Yes, all sweaty when I take off BP but I just take a spare T-Shirt with me to yard and change into that after riding :)

Tayto

Visit site
I have resigned myself to the fact that I am a sweaty blob after hacking in a BP. I also insist on wearing long sleeves as I have a weird thing about having bare arms when hacking!

sparklypickle

Visit site
wiglet - do you mean one of those fancy wicking ones or just a plain cotton one?
Tayto - I know what you mean - those errant branches can be vicious when you arent paying attention!
I can't sem to find really thin t-shirts anywhere (all my old horsing around ones are now full of holes...) anyone know any good suppliers?

wiglet

Visit site
I have the fancy wicking ones - my OH got me an expensive cycling top but, I also got a dirt cheap one from Lidl... which is just as good IMO! They don't stop you from sweating but you do dry off quicker once you take your BP off - like I said though, I usually take a spare t-shirt to the yard to change into.

sparklypickle

Visit site
wearing just a sports bra? really? wow - I never thought of that...but...hmmm if I get desperate that's definately an idea! has anyone ever done that??? (do you get more or less sweaty being in skin contact with the bp?)

smja

Visit site
I always get sweaty under a bp, so I wear a sports top/lycra type thing, because at least then the sweat wicks away quickly and I don't feel as gross!

Darremi

Visit site
To be fair a BP is compulsory for competitons and schooling so there is really no way to avoid it. I wear my BP for competing and I find a very thin cotton long sleeved top is the best.

You can get them from Primark with some elastane. Alternatively a Canterbury Skin if you fancy spending a bit more!

emmanash

Visit site
I was wondering the same thing today after I came back from a ride sweating like mad under my B.P!
Tinsel Trouble you brave soul!! It would be just my luck that I'd fall off and end up in A&E in just my jods and a bra!

LillyBeth

Visit site
Would it be worth getting the sort of shirt runners wear? I have a couple for when I go running that are the sweat wicking material and have extra ventilated bits on the armpits and down the back! I can run 4 - 5 miles and not have a bead of sweat on me when I get back (at least not on my top half, my face will be dripping hahah) would come in long sleeves too.

Mine are Karrimor which you can pick up in Sports Direct for very cheap but very effective.

eta- http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-long-sleeve-running-t-shirt-ladies-456137?colcode=45613743

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-long-sleeve-top-ladies-456043?colcode=45604318

Last edited:

MungoMadness

Visit site
I have resigned myself to the fact that I am a sweaty blob after hacking in a BP. I also insist on wearing long sleeves as I have a weird thing about having bare arms when hacking!

Not a bad thing to insist on, my horse fell over with me on the road and I cut my elbow quite badly. I have no doubt that if I hadn't have been wearing a long sleeve jumper and t shirt underneath, it would have cut right down to the bone!

sparklypickle

Visit site
Lillybeth, I was wondering about those kind of things and if anyone here already tried wearing them for riding.
in a bikini? seriously? wow that's so brave.
hmm I havent been to primark in a long while, maybe its worth an investigation for a few cheap destructable T's and judging by the above comments, maybe some long-sleeved ones in case of road work.
I'll check out the other ones mentioned. I used to have a fab super-thin longsleeved tshirt from H &M which was perfect but the great bridle buckle + itchy post-ride (horse) head stratching of 2013 reduced it to tatters!
So far my best idea has literally been to douse myself with a water bottle before I set off for a ride...keeps me cool for about half an hour but it feels GROSS :S

Last edited:

Skib

sites.google.com
I wear a short sleeved polo shirt with a funny weave - cotton airtex like we used to wear for sport when I was at school 60 years ago. May be that makes it more breathable?

debsflo

Visit site
I was wondering the same thing today after I came back from a ride sweating like mad under my B.P!
Tinsel Trouble you brave soul!! It would be just my luck that I'd fall off and end up in A&E in just my jods and a bra!
me too and not a pretty sight in my shock absorber....

PingPongPony

Visit site
just a bra is really not comfy, have tried it, don't recommend it, plus unless your BP covers your stomach too, or you are lucky enough to have a very flat stomach, then its all poking out from underneath the BP, again, not pretty. And all the sweat soaks straight into your BP and makes it smell. I just wear very cheap, £2 asda vets tops, and change my top after I get off :)

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I hate my arms being exposed due to low/scary branches down our bridle paths when hacking and also the thought of hitting the road with bare skin but having ridden today in a BP with a long sleeved top under, I change my mind and will go back to just wearing my sports bra underneath. Like others have said, my sports bra looks like a crop top (it's a Nike one and I have 4 in amazing colours) so it doesn't look very bra-like.

Honestly, I nearly passed out today in the heat. One had to go - so I'd rather the sleeves went than the BP, sleeves I'm guessing would be a lot less helpful in a bad fall!

Cowpony

Visit site
I wear some long sleeved tops from Mountain Warehouse. I think they are meant for cyclists but they are cool in summer and warm as a base layer in winter. They have the added advantage of a wide stripe down front and back, so without a bp my instructor can see if I'm sitting straight!

Ceriann

Visit site
Not a bad thing to insist on, my horse fell over with me on the road and I cut my elbow quite badly. I have no doubt that if I hadn't have been wearing a long sleeve jumper and t shirt underneath, it would have cut right down to the bone!

I wear long sleeves to hack after hitting gravel too fast off my mare and ending up with two skinned and sore elbows! It was hard work at the weekend though under a bp!