What towing vehicle and trailer do you have?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Does anyone tow with a Nissan X Trail? Possibly looking at one this weekend...thoughts? Bother? Dont bother?

I went into great lengths of deciding a 4x4 fully investigated the x trail and the teranno. Everyone I spoke to said There is not much if anything the Teranno can't get you out of (even a plowed field)
you would be better off with a Terrano, The Terrano will pull you out of anything where as the xtrail wont, its more like an urban 4x4 like the BMW one check out the http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/.
at the end of the days get an honest lengthy report out of all the 4x4 cars on the website above

Last edited:

Faro

Visit site
Just been looking through this (a bit late I know) as have just this weekend bought a Terrano II SE LWB 2.4 petrol 1999 manual. Can't rate it yet as have only had it 2 days and won't be towing with it until the weekend.

Trailer is an ancient (but sound) Bahill 2 horse trailer, very similar to a Rice, front and rear unload. No idea of its weight as never taken it to a weighbridge - and Bahill are no longer in business to find out specs from. I only ever travel with 1 horse at a time (400-450Kg) and we have permanently removed the partition as the horses travel better that way (has single breastbar), as well as reducing weight of course. For such an old trailer I'd still rate it 9/10. I like the front unload being on the left side (so you don't have to unload straight onto the road in an emergency) and I like the headroom over the front ramp too (which the Ifor's dont have).

Previously towed this trailer with our Volvo 940 2.4 litre estate. Not bad at all on roads generally, never failed on a steep hill (even if it struggled sometimes), although being non-4x4 it struggled towing on soft or mudy ground, and I never took that combo out on a windy day! Volvo I'll give 7/10.

Got Grandfathers rights on my driving licence, so that must make me B+E.

I don't know a lot about cars, but what would have been even more helpful to include on this list (some people have, but not everyone) is the engine size, whether it's petrol or diesel (or LPG), LWB or SWB, and if manual or auto.

Gazen

Visit site
Vehicle: - Nissan X-Trail (2008+ model) - Only 2000kg towing capacity but fine for me as only one horse. 8/10
Trailer:- 1970's vintage Rice trailer - Double but converter to carry single horse only. Big Land Rover wheels and wooden floor give a really comfortable ride for horse. Quite heavy though for what is now a single trailer. Bit 'clattery' whilst driving along, but otherwise can't fault it! 8/10

StarcatcherWilliam

Visit site
02 plate, 3L diesel manual BMW X5. 9/10

Ifor Williams HB511 8/10

Used to use it for a 17.2hh horse and companion (which could be anything from 11hh to 15hh)

Passed test in 1996, so didn't need to do towing test.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Dodge Ram 2500 6L truck 10/10 and GMC 2500 6.6L Duramax diesel truck 10/10. My trailers are those big American ones with flexible configuration interiors so can carry 5/6 horses.

TheOrangeOne

Visit site
Kia Sorrento 2.8CRD 57 plate 10/10 fantastic car for pulling. Dont know I am pulling my giant 17.1hh full ID!

Ifor Williams 510 7/10 - ok trailer, sturdy etc however annoys me there is no place to tie a haynet in a good position, the catches are rubbish! Had a Bateson Ascot beforehand and loved it and would rate that 10/10..big front window so could see horse when towing, tack box in front and fab clips etc and a place to hang haynet = sorted...going to trade in my crap Ifor and get one as soon as I can afford it!!!

blitznbobs

Visit site
I've got a Land Rover Defender station wagon - 10/10 perfect tow vehicle... we have competitions to try and get it stuck...

I tow a IFor williams 511 which I also can't fault can get 2 huge horses in it no trouble...

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Hyundai Santa Fe V6 Auto - towing IW403.........................fantastic vehicle, always had shoguns but I am quite impressed - only used for towing so being a petrol doesn't bother me.

hoggedmane

Visit site
Simple survey

-

What is your current towing vehicle -
Rate it out of 10 - Audi Q7 10/10 but have only towed one horse with it and not been anywhere muddy. Not sure it will like that as much as the Disco I had before did. Still in honeymoon period as it is new!
Previously had a...
Landrover Discovery - 10/10 for towing 2/10 for reliability and cost of keeping it on the road.

What is your current trailer - Ifor Williams 510
Rate it out of 10 - 9/10 - easy to deal with on my own. Lost a mark for the partition breaking when the horses leant on it.

1 or 2 horses carried in trailer - 1 (shire x) at moment have towed two (large ones) with Discovery

Towing on a B or B+E licence - pre 1997

Greylegs

Visit site
Shogun short wheelbase, 06 plate, 3.5 litre gas guzzler but tows like a dream. Used to tow a heavy twin axle caravan with it, but now just an Ifor 403 with one heavy horse on board. Don't know it's there tbh ... Brill combo.

maisie06

Visit site
Isuzu Trooper - IF it's in a working mood 9/10 for towing ability......although not often in a working mood, breaks down ALOT....My old Fourtrack 10/10 for reliability and towing ability...do not buy a Trooper....

Ifor Williams 505 - 10/10 easy to hitch/unhitch alone easy to tow - can't ask for anymore in a trailer, functional and workmanlike even if not as fancy as some other brands....

tiramisu

Visit site
Land rover defender - 10/10 for towing, 4/10 for comfort!!!!
Ifor 506 - 8/10 it's okay, nothing flash, I'd rather have something with storage!!

I tow one horse, occasionally two if I'm giving someone a lift. The defender doesn't notice the difference tbh...

B+E

jojo5

Visit site
Land rover defender 110 high cap - 11/10 - old but never complains and we upgraded the seats!! I love my landy .
ifor williams 506 - suited us so far though no storage (plenty in landy) and odd position for hay net so 9.5/10
tow one chunky cob

Last edited:

Julia0803

Visit site
Vehicle: BMW 5 series M5 Sport - It is a family car that I borrowed and put a tow bar on, rather than having to fork out for 4x4. Bearing in mind it's limitations- no offroading- it is great. I only take it on roads and hardstanding it is fine. We live in a super hilly area and it goes up and down no troubles. So if i was marking it accepting it's limitations, knowing I borrow it as a freebie I would give it 9/10. However, I would give it about a 4/10 if I were looking at it's overall usefulness as a towing vehicle. It can tow 2000kg braked which is fine for me as we only have a pony but no good for anyone with a proper horse ;) and of course it can't go off hardstanding/tarmac.

Trailer: Bayhill pony trailer- circa mid 1980's. Had new floor, new brakes, new wheel bearings, new jockey wheel, lights... think the outer shell is about the only original thing on it!! It is a squeeze... officially ok for 2 14.2's but having travelled 2 it in once before for 30 min I wouldn't like to do it again... which is ok for us as normally we just travel one 14.2. It is very light, 650kg. So for our purposes I would give it a 6.5/10. It's plus points are it's weight and size due to my post 97 licence. Cons are can only take one pony without feeling like sardines!

I have a B licence.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Discovery TD5, great to tow with 10/10 and comfortable enough!

Ifor 510 for two big horses. 8/10. I love it, its light and roomy, my mechanic husband says its stronger and better than its rivals, but one horse doesn't balance well in it.

I have the pre 97 licence as does hubby, who usually drives.

nicelittle

Visit site
Have changed my tow vehicle since first replying to this thread. Now have Landrover Discovery, which gets 10/10for comfort and towing, and loads of space to put all the gear and 7 seats, which is handy for pony club!
Downside is it us not as easy as my 90 to reverse, I used to be be able to get anywhere, now have to calculate my manouvering a bit more!
Usually towing Rice Rosette trailer with 1 or 2 14hh ponies.
Too old to need trailer test!

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Range Rover Sport Autobiography, 4.4L V8 - 10/10
Rice Beaufort double trailer - 9/10 (but only because it's too heavy for me to move by myself)
Usually 1 but sometimes 2 small horses
Pre 1997 licence

arlosmum

Visit site
Towing vehicle - Merc ML350 10/10 for capabilty 0/10 for fuel economy but I knew this when I bought it.
Trailer -Bateson (biggest one not sure of name) Fab trailer easy to use 10/10
Pre 97 licence
Normally tow with 2 ponies onboard 13.2 & 14.2 but sometimes my 17.2 TBxID with no partition & full length breast/breech bars.
Fab towing combo let down only by driver incompetence. I jacknifed yesterday & need to man up & get some tuition.
OH has promised, he is a HGV driver but never has enough time.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
We tow with both a Isuzu trooper 3.2 lpg & a Range Rover P38 V8 (petrol guzzler) both fantastic to tow with the isuzu is better economically but it doesnt touch the rangey on luxury. Plus as they are older vehicles don't buy the £500 or road tax which l refuse to pay the government for vehicles post 2001. So l'd rate them 10/10 as they are solid cars & great if you look after them.

trailer is a bayhill - maybe old but its so light inside even my fussy may loads it & stuck her nose up at a ifor williams which l prefer but won't swap it until it dies as its in lovely condition.

towing on a pre 97 licence

Bobbly

Visit site
Landrover defender 90 300tdi, uprated gears and heavy duty springs, 8/10 has the capability for 3.5t but basic and bumpy
Wessex triple trailer, 8/10 lots of room and easy to tow weighs in at 1150kg
two horses 15-16.1, connie and wbx
Pre 1997 licence, I'm feeling old...

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
nissan pathfinder 14 months old (did need a new turbo on warrantee) tows 3t rate it 9/10 for towing and overall love it as a car.

trailer: Cheval/robinsons (with aluminium floor) great for lightweight. but would only put very good travellers in it. partition too flimsy, parts impossible to get (I have tried and failed to order a single breast and rear bar and spare wheel) the bars I have broke with horse in trailer when i had to stop suddenly (idiot driver pulled out and did a u turn in my path!) however with a good traveler and re-enforced bars it pulls well is simple and light and the floor is great. (ideal for those wanting to travel 1 horse on a B licence) RATE it 7/10
travel 2 in it at times.
towing on old licence so B+E

LouiseG

Visit site
I've got a Range Rover Sport, tows my Ifor Williams 511 effortlessly with 2 horses in. It's automatic too which I find makes towing super easy so would give it a 10/10! I also love my 511 :) I would give this 8/10. I tow on a B&E licence.

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site
Simple survey

What is your current towing vehicle -
Rate it out of 10 -

What is your current trailer -
Rate it out of 10 -

1 or 2 horses carried in trailer -

Towing on a B or B+E licence -

Vauxhall Vectra Elite 2L towing a 650KG Rice Richardson with a single horse weighing in at approx 650KG. Leaves me with 300KG spare.

Tows a dream even up long inclines.

All these huge 4 x 4's are totally unnecessary for the lighter weight trailers like the Richardson and the Bateson. However the Ivor Williams clock in at about 1200KG before any horses are put on, so you would need a powerful 4 x 4 then!!!

applecart14

Visit site
I jacknifed yesterday & need to man up & get some tuition.
OH has promised, he is a HGV driver but never has enough time.

Presume you jacknifed reversing as its impossible to jack knife going forwards. Take the trailer to a quiet car park - do you have any industrial estates around by you that you can practice in the evening or weekends. Just practice reversing round the corner of side roads or reversing into actual marked car park spaces, you will be suprised how quickly this teaches you!

Visit site
Tow Vehicle - Jeep Cherokee
Rating - 9/10

Trailer - Ifor Williams 505
Rating - 10/10

Usually 1 16hh horse but have taken 1 horse and 1 large pony. Car never struggled, didn't notice the difference carrying 2.

B+E

arlosmum

Visit site
Hi applecart14
Yes, I was reversing.
I Will take your advice re practicing.
Also, I don't know if your remark re. huge 4 x 4s & light trailers was meant for me as well.
My horse is 17.2/3 TBxID. And heavy.
I'm usually towing with daughter's pony & her friend's pony onboard but occasionally need to take my horse.