What towing vehicle and trailer do you have?

forumuser123

Visit site
Simple survey

What is your current towing vehicle - Shogun Warrior (lwb, automatic)
Rate it out of 10 - 10/10

What is your current trailer - Ifor Williams HB510
Rate it out of 10 - 9/10

1 or 2 horses carried in trailer - 1 16.3hh warmblood

Towing on a B or B+E licence -
B+E licence

ROG

Visit site
Vehicle: BMW 5 series M5 Sport - It is a family car that I borrowed and put a tow bar on, rather than having to fork out for 4x4. Bearing in mind it's limitations- no offroading- it is great. I only take it on roads and hardstanding it is fine. We live in a super hilly area and it goes up and down no troubles. So if i was marking it accepting it's limitations, knowing I borrow it as a freebie I would give it 9/10. However, I would give it about a 4/10 if I were looking at it's overall usefulness as a towing vehicle. It can tow 2000kg braked which is fine for me as we only have a pony but no good for anyone with a proper horse ;) and of course it can't go off hardstanding/tarmac.

Trailer: Bayhill pony trailer- circa mid 1980's. Had new floor, new brakes, new wheel bearings, new jockey wheel, lights... think the outer shell is about the only original thing on it!! It is a squeeze... officially ok for 2 14.2's but having travelled 2 it in once before for 30 min I wouldn't like to do it again... which is ok for us as normally we just travel one 14.2. It is very light, 650kg. So for our purposes I would give it a 6.5/10. It's plus points are it's weight and size due to my post 97 licence. Cons are can only take one pony without feeling like sardines!

I have a B licence.

The plated weight of the trailer (or if no plate then the total of the tyre load ratings) added to the vehicle GVW must not total more than 3500 kgs on a B licence

I have a feeling you may be illegal ...... but hope not

applecart14

Visit site
Hi applecart14
Also, I don't know if your remark re. huge 4 x 4s & light trailers was meant for me as well.
My horse is 17.2/3 TBxID. And heavy.

No there was nothing meant in my remark to cause offence at all. I don't care what people tow with. But it does irritate me when people look down on my outfit as 'dangerous' because I tow with a car and don't have a 4 x 4! I find it really weird. For years and years no one would have given a stuff. Now all these huge 4 x 4's are made and people have these massive station wagons that take up the length of two parking spaces and only have a toddler in the back. They have never seen mud or even glanced at a trailer! lol it just makes me chuckle!

I am well within my towing weight and my trailer is set for one horse as the partition and breast bars have been moved about twelve years ago to allow my single horse plenty of room.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Nissan Terrano 3.0 TD LWB. 8/10 It's fine; it's just not the Isuzu trooper that I had before and miss on a daily basis!

Bateson Ascot 10/10 awesome trailer

1 14.3 arab

B & E licence.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Can I jump on the bandwagon,
I tow with 3.5 ton Renault master horsebox, and I tow a 980kg caravan to Polocrosse tournaments!!! Hardly notice I am towing as the lorry is 2.5 ltr engine .
My lorry is LWB and caravan is 19 ft long.

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
My post is a future one - deciding whether I need to actually take my test or not, probably will end up doing it anyway but imagine for now I'm on a B licence only...

Tow vehicle - Honda CRV 2l petrol
trailer - either ifor Williams 505 or bayhill (haven't bought it yet!)
Usually one horse (500kg) but would like to be able to take a friend (another 500kg).

Am I dreaming, that i'd be able to do that on a B only licence? Is my tow vehicle up to the job?

Bryndu

Visit site
Towing vehicle - Landrover Discovery 2004 - 10 out of 10, Awesome towing power and capacity
Trailer - Ifor Williams 505 2004 - 10 out of 10 - wouldn't swop it for the world
Horse x 1 Welsh cob and a big IW tack pack

Pre 1997 licence - I am old..LOL:)

Bryndu

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
My post is a future one - deciding whether I need to actually take my test or not, probably will end up doing it anyway but imagine for now I'm on a B licence only...

Tow vehicle - Honda CRV 2l petrol
trailer - either ifor Williams 505 or bayhill (haven't bought it yet!)
Usually one horse (500kg) but would like to be able to take a friend (another 500kg).

Am I dreaming, that i'd be able to do that on a B only licence? Is my tow vehicle up to the job?

Answered here in post number 1596 http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...-to-HHO-Towing-Clinic&p=12380136#post12380136

coen

Visit site
I have a B+E licence.
Tow with a VW Tourareg 10/10 smooth drive don't feel the trailer.
Trailer is IW hb511 9/10 really spacious and stable but had a small issue with top door opening.

Spiritedly

Visit site
Car-Nissan Terrano 11 TDi 2.7 swb 9/10 Tows a dream but could do with a bigger boot but that's the compromise with having the model I do :(

Trailer-Ifor Williams 505 10/10 Does what I want it too with no problems :)

I have a 15.1 Standardbred, a 14.2 welsh, 14 New Forest and 13 DHP x cob and we take out any combination of them either as 2 or singles.

I have a pre 1997 license so B+E?

WestCoast

Visit site
Woohoo. Had my 2010 Shogun short wheel base for a couple of weeks and so far 10/10. Picked up a new Ifor Williams 511 today - the Shogun towed it fabulously. It has a very good turning circle, is easy to reverse accurately and has good visibility. It tows 3000kg, but isn't as long as a Mazda 6 and not that much wider. I'm using it for work (community health worker) fine.

Pretty much couldn't tell I had the 511 on the back, but better wait until I've put two friesians in it first. Then I'll rate the trailer ;). Bought new because they hold their value so well and are pretty rare second hand.

Pre 97 licence. Did 3 hours training with a B+E instructor, which got me to where I was confident picking the trailer up and bringing it home. Gonna do a bit more training with a horse trailer instructor before putting horse in it though.

Last edited:

fuggly

Visit site
pre '97 licence
pajero 2.8 td lwb
richardson treble supreme
normally with 2 16hh tb's onboard , occasionally 17hh mw and 16hh tb
rate paj 8/10 only due to the fact of it's fuel consumption and the rear door is a pain as only opens half way when hooked up , but tows beautifully and so comfortable (love my paj )

DiggoryVenn

New User
Visit site
Jeep Cherokee ltd and newish ifor Williams
both 2nd hand and only have them because they were within my budget to get the ponies mobile
jeep has ridiculous 4.7 auto petrol engine and so tows like a dream
without trailer I drive v slowly as well so fuel economy not as bad as it could be
10/10 for both tho' jeep is small (which is also a good thing)
I'm old so I've no idea about my driving licence category

Jericho

Visit site
What is your current towing vehicle -
Rate it out of 10 - Landrover Discovery 10/10 for towing as has never missed a beat and got us out of some tricky mud but as a car not that impressed as lots of niggly issues so 7/10

What is your current trailer - Ifor Williams 505 older version, had about 5 years and has performed perfectly 10/10

1 or 2 horses carried in trailer - Carry 1 usually 14hh or 15.1hh but also both together without any problem

Towing on a B or B+E licence - B+E (pre 1997 licence)

Selkie

Visit site
Nissan X-trail rate it 10 our of 10
Henra Cayenne rate it 8 out of 10, it was a lovely light horse box but had a canvas roll up top at the back which the wind destroyed after about 3 years.
Carried 2 horses no problem.
Then a couple of years ago the box blew over and was damaged beyond repair. We were unable to get another Henra, so now have just got an ifor williams 510 but think we need to change the car as it will only pull 2 tons.
I have a pre 97 licence

asommerville

Visit site
Simple survey

What is your current towing vehicle - Toyota Hilux Invincible
Rate it out of 10 - 10

What is your current trailer -
Rate it out of 10 -

1 or 2 horses carried in trailer - Ifor Williams 506
10 out of 10 (nothing to compare to though)

Towing on a B or B+E licence -B+E sat last year.

paulineh

Visit site
We now have a brand new Discovery. 10/10, even towed a lorry out of the mud at the weekend. We also have a 10 year old Disco and again have never had a problem with towing. The new one has a better fuel consumption even though it has a bigger engine.

The trailer is a 10 year old Richardson , carries max 2 Arabs 15.2hh each It's well serviced yearly and the only thing it has had done is a new floor and tyres as we have needed them.

Both drivers have pre 1997 licences

dRats

Visit site
Nreg Disco auto diesel, had it forever, 10/10
Tall Rice Beaufort circa2002/3, had it forever 10/10
1964 licence
2 bigguns

Annagain

Visit site
Landrover Defender 90 - 10/10. If I was being really harsh I'd knock off 0.5 for being so noisy but you know to expect with one of those so I can't complain! I've had it 6 weeks and did my first long journey (160 miles round trip) in it at the weekend. Previously towed with a Discovery and a 110 and can't believe how much more stable the 90 felt. The other two both had big roofracks and were therefore affected quite badly by the wind, which has left me a bit jittery when towing but I felt really happy in this one.

Trailer - IW 510 8/10. Nothing wrong with it, but having towed my friend's Equitrek, I've really noticed the boys are much happier travelling backwards so on the lookout for a relatively local Space Trekka. Not in any great hurry though.

I tow on a B+E (1995) licence and tow one or two big boys. I got the biggest one weighed at the weekend and he's 639kgs, the other's not far off, about 620kgs I'd say. I budget 1300kgs for the two of them.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
We have a '06 navara @ Bateson trailer. The only thing I would fault trailer on is that it has a small gap between roof & back ramp when the ramp is closed which can allow water to get in. Safety wise, it's left hand side unloading to the front & has individual breast bars so is ideal. Truck is fantastic & cannot fault it in any way so 10/10 for truck & 9/10 for trailer :) OH drives it on a B & E license.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Ancient Hyundai Sante Fe and Ifor 505 Classic.
One Arab or two ponies.
Sante Fe-poor turning circle but tows well. Good off road.
Trailer-it's ok but think I would buy a Bateson next time-seem more spacious.
Passed test in the eighties-seems a long time ago!

sidsmum

Visit site
I narrowed it down to a Nissan terrano and a Hyundai terracan. Was wanting it for two big horses so wanted something with a bit of grunt, both of which have this! Sadly my id died and I now have a 14.3 welshie so its a bit overkill!!

Ended up with the terracan which I cannot fault! 10/10

And I Have an Ifor Williams trailer which again I can easily give 10/10

I passed my b&e test earlier this year so no more L plates!!

Last edited:

Julia0803

Visit site
The plated weight of the trailer (or if no plate then the total of the tyre load ratings) added to the vehicle GVW must not total more than 3500 kgs on a B licence

I have a feeling you may be illegal ...... but hope not

Hi Rog,

Only just seen this...

It doesn't have a plated weight. How would i find out about my tyre weights? I had them checked when i bought it and just know that they are proper trailer tyres and safe, nothing more!

I know the trailer is circa 650kg, say 700 for margin of error
GVW is 2100kg
Pony is approx. 450, say 500 for margin
So that takes me to 3200kg, so i thought I was fine?

McCauley

Visit site
What is your current towing vehicle - Shogun V6 3Litre Petrol SWB
Rate it out of 10 - 9,...would be a 10 if it wasn't as thirsty sometimes!!

What is your current trailer - Lambourn (Oakley) Trailer, special edition (don't think Oakley made many....i've never seen another one round my parts!)
Rate it out of 10 - 9.5.... can't really fault it to be honest, but nothing's ever perfect!

1 or 2 horses carried in trailer - I use it for just the one, but is designed to be used for two.

Towing on a B or B+E licence - B+E,...(Pre 97).

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

Only just seen this...

It doesn't have a plated weight. How would i find out about my tyre weights? I had them checked when i bought it and just know that they are proper trailer tyres and safe, nothing more!

I know the trailer is circa 650kg, say 700 for margin of error
GVW is 2100kg
Pony is approx. 450, say 500 for margin
So that takes me to 3200kg, so i thought I was fine?
Google for - tyre load ratings
Add up all the tyre load ratings and that is your trailer MAM

Add that trailer MAM to 2100 and if it totals more than 3500 you need a B+E

Further discussion on this should really be in the towing clinic IMO

Last edited: