What trailer for a tall horse?

TPO

Visit site
Currently mulling over transport options with trailer being the most sensible option as transport would probably only be used once a week max.

The slight problem is that her new horse doesn't like trailers. He's a tall 16.3hh and previous owner had an older trailer that was too small for him. I think it was a rice or similar but I don't know for sure (but could get confirmation from her).

Horse is very genuine and amenable but think he must have had enough or a bad experience because he stopped loading into it. Previous owner bought a 7.5t lorry to solve that but then due to a change in circumstances he's ended up as mum's.

So, getting to my point ?, what trailers would be big and airy enough for a 16.3hh with a long neck and donkey sized ears so that he didn't feel cramped?

It would be a bonus if there was a place to sit and have a cup of tea so I'm guessing that's equitrek territory? I know they had a bad reputation but does build quality improve from a certain year onwards? It would be a second hand purchase.

Or are there others to consider? The tea isn't essential but I would prefer a trailer that unloads on the left side in case of emergencies.

I've only ever had Ifors in the past before getting a 3.5t so I'm totally clueless.

I think the towing car will be a Navara or similar. Dad is currently car shopping but he's had one before and seems to leaning back that way. The plan is that I'll do my B+E and will use his car when I am going anywhere and he'll chauffeur mum wherever she wants to go. Think that covers all the non related questions that might crop up!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
The Ifor Williams HB511 is a roomy, airy trailer for the taller equine and the build quality, handling and residual value are great. A friend has a rangy 18hh horse and he has plenty of space to travel in comfort in her newish but older style IWHB11.

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
The Ifor Williams HB511 is a roomy, airy trailer for the taller equine and the build quality, handling and residual value are great. A friend has a rangy 18hh horse and he has plenty of space to travel in comfort in her newish but older style IWHB11.

Thank you for your reply ? Do all Ifors not unload on the right hand side? I always worried that if something happened you would have to unload into traffic

ETA- apologies I thought I'd said in my original word vomit about my right hand unloading fear. Apparently I kept relevant information in and wrote unnecessary stuff instead ??‍♀️?

HeyMich

Visit site
I have an EquiTrek and it would tick all of your boxes. I'm chuffed to bits with it, it's light and balanced to tow, all our horses/ponies travel well in it (including a long 16.2 beast), and the wee tack room is a god send. I know the ET trailers don't get the best write ups, but I haven't found any of the problems that folk talk of. TPO, I know you're not far from me - feel free to pop over and have a nosey if you like!

TPO

Visit site
I have an EquiTrek and it would tick all of your boxes. I'm chuffed to bits with it, it's light and balanced to tow, all our horses/ponies travel well in it (including a long 16.2 beast), and the wee tack room is a god send. I know the ET trailers don't get the best write ups, but I haven't found any of the problems that folk talk of. TPO, I know you're not far from me - feel free to pop over and have a nosey if you like!

Thank you I might take you up on that ?

What model do you have?

Littlebear

Visit site
Thank you for your reply ? Do all Ifors not unload on the right hand side? I always worried that if something happened you would have to unload into traffic

The thing is - I have seen 2 trailers break down in the last few years and horses have to come off, both times have been tight hard shoulders of motorways that would have been tricky to unload to the left. Both times the roads were entirely closed for the horses.

TPO

Visit site
It's a Space Treka M, and like I say, it's plenty big enough for the 16.2 beast without her being able to rub her tail on the back wall!

Thanks

I'll need to measure Max(imus) to find out his exact dimensions. He's an ex trotter and has travelled lots but I think being a bit squished made something click in his brain putting him off trailers.

I'm sure I can get him loading into something suitable but just want to make sure it is right for him space wise.

I very sadly do not have a bottomless budget so that's a consideration too unless my euro numbers come up any time soon!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
If you can find a Richardson Supreme Treble that would be perfect. Configure it for 2 and there is masses of space for a big horse (or two) and loads of space in the nose for you to sit with your tea and biccies.

TPO

Visit site
If you can find a Richardson Supreme Treble that would be perfect. Configure it for 2 and there is masses of space for a big horse (or two) and loads of space in the nose for you to sit with your tea and biccies.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that brand