What turnout rugs do you use on wet nights at this time of year?

applecart14

Visit site
My lightweight (no fill) turnout rug got absolutely soaked through the other night (as did most of the yards horses rugs). But I just wondered what type of rugs you use at night.

By us its been dropping down to 9 - 10C at night and with the rain as well, I worry by boy is cold.

I've looked at buying a 100g turnout rug but what weight do lightweight rugs go up to - is it 200g?
Do ALL rugs get soaked through with constant rain?

Sorry if this question has been done to death already.

ihatework

Visit site
Depends on the horse!

Very few I would put anything other than a rainsheet on, despite the torrential rain it was still quite mild yesterday evening.
I use Rambo rainsheets and they are excellent.

Last night I had my very thin skinned rain intolerant mare in a 200g no neck - first time she has worn that since it was put away late spring.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine has nothing on ATM. He is a nativey type and already quite fluffy so am leaving him to it. I will probably end up having to clip this weekend though as he gets too hot and sweaty when working, in which case I will start him off in a 70g rug. Neck cover for rainy days.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
The foreigner has an Amigo 1200D rainsheet on -its never leaked in Scottish weather.

9-10 degrees is not cold for a horse if they can move about-even for him when he's not got alot of flesh on him and nothing for a coat and is used to 25C!Its been frosty up here twice in the last week.. He has it on really to protect from wind and rain but is naked when its dry like last night.

Annagain

Visit site
None! Mine are pretty hardy. However, I was told by a Fal stockist that to be truly waterproof a rug needs a little bit of fill to keep the two layers apart (think about camping when you've got to make sure the inner tent doesn't touch the outer layer to prevent it leaking). This apparently is why Fal don't (or didn't then, not sure what they do now they've switched production) make anyting less than a 40g. This also helps breathability too apparently so in theory shouldn't be too warm. I've never really tried it out as mine aren't rugged unless they're clipped so have heavier rugs on but it makes sense to me.

JenTaz

Visit site
When it has been wet my horse has had a medium weight full neck on, even though he is an irish draught he doesn't do well when he is wet and cold, has also had a lightweight on during the day for the last 2 weeks as its been so windy, has nothing on during the day at the moment as its warm, but the lightweight has been going on at nights as long as it isnt raining

3Beasties

Visit site
Mine are in no fill turnouts. It's not really that cold yet and they seem to be coping fine.

You can now get 40/50g turnout rugs which I think would be a really useful weight for this time of year.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Maybe get them waterproofed again? I have the no fill amigo 1200d, and there have been times that I have gone down expecting a sorry sight, but apart from the edges and one bit over the top of the tail, he's been dry as a bone. I wash in my washing machine with soap crystals, do and extra rinse and then use copious amounts of Nikwax Horseware reproofer and the water beads of the rug. For the first week at least :)

SuperH

Visit site
Mine usually go without rugs for another month however they are still out at night (and have to be until after Burghley week) and the rain was so awful last night that I put them in their lightweights (no fill). Both came in this morning (still raining) totally dry underneath. One has a Swish and the other has an Equi Theme. They would have been too hot with any fill as it is still pretty mild here at night. Maybe try reproofing your rug if it is leaking that much?

Mongoose11

Visit site
Rain sheet if it is going to rain all day or all night, otherwise naked if just showers forecast. When the temp drops to 8 consistently then I'll either go for a rain sheet combo or put a fleece under her rain sheet (saves buying 50-100g). When we start getting to 4/5 then she'll be in her medium.

It does sound like you might need a new rain sheet or re proof at least. I've never had a rain sheet cause her to be wet. She was out for 16 hours of storm yesterday and was completely dry underneath. (That was a Mio.)

Suffolkangel

Visit site
Mine are in waterproof fly rugs (shires and gallop) does the trick to keep them dry, but light enough that thy don't get hot...

Moomin1

Visit site
Mines out 24/7 in her sweet itch rug. She won't get anything else until she is clipped in November, when she will have a thin fleece under a no fill. If it drops lower than 0 whilst fully clipped, she will get a thin fleece with a thin stable rug over the top. She doesn't even reach medium weight rugs unless it's well into - numbers.

Visit site
was going to do a separate post, but also which are best, rugs with attached necks or rugs with detachable necks ?(in general that is)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a turnout with a fleece lining its perfect for wet nights, I know Amigo and Shires do a 50g and 100g turnouts which would be about the same I would imagine.

Mongoose11

Visit site
was going to do a separate post, but also which are best, rugs with attached necks or rugs with detachable necks ?(in general that is)

I much prefer the fixed neck. That said, you then need one without a neck too, but detachable necks have always led to leaks and soggy shoulders for me.

Visit site
My present rugs are no neck but the wet gets down the front thought maybe one with a neck would stop that Tiddlypom

ALso whatever happened to Chaskit rugs they were brilliant

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My lightweight (no fill) turnout rug got absolutely soaked through the other night (as did most of the yards horses rugs). But I just wondered what type of rugs you use at night.

By us its been dropping down to 9 - 10C at night and with the rain as well, I worry by boy is cold.

I've looked at buying a 100g turnout rug but what weight do lightweight rugs go up to - is it 200g?
Do ALL rugs get soaked through with constant rain?

Sorry if this question has been done to death already.

At the moment light weight no fill

humblepie

Visit site
Saturday night retired TB had a thickish medium weight with no neck on as colder but dry. Last night when very wet had a no fill with another thin NZ with a neck cover over. Stayed lovely and dry.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My present rugs are no neck but the wet gets down the front thought maybe one with a neck would stop that Tiddlypom

ALso whatever happened to Chaskit rugs they were brilliant
Sorry for the facetious reply, I know what you mean about wet necks.

I can thoroughly recommend the Rambo original with leg arches. It has angled neck fastenings, so that the neck doesn't gape like some rugs do. It also takes liners in different weights, and can have a neck attached too. I have the no fill one, and customise the liners according to need. They last very well, too.

http://www.horseware.com/products/ss14/forhorses/turnouts/rambo/rambo-original-leg-arches.html

They seem to fit both my tb cross mare and my HW maxicob very well, without rubbing.

Meems

Visit site
If the temperature is around 10 degrees (or even a couple of degrees less) and it's raining I will put a no fill rainsheet on my mare.

When it starts to drop a bit more (or when I give her her first blanket clip of the year) then I will move up to a lightweight with a bit of fill.

My Amigo rainsheet didn't leak yesterday, but then it is practically brand new.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
The TB has a no fill rainsheet on at night - no necks on them. I have two for her - one is an Amigo and the other a Premier Equine. Both have been fine, although the Premier Equine is a better quality one.

sarahann1

Visit site
Neither of my old lads have rugs on yet, it'll be another couple of weeks I think before they do. They start off with no-fills, then move up to 50g then to 100g as the weather gets colder. Last year they didn't go above 100g because we had such a mild winter and they have haylage adlib in the field.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Mine aren't in anything - I absolutely refuse to rug in August! But regarding your question, its the denier count that's important - 600d is suitable for heavy occasional showers. For persistent & continual downpours a 1200d or even 1600d should do the job. Whether it is filled or not will not make a difference to its waterproofing ability - it may slow the process of water getting through to the horses skin but the waterproofing comes from the material used & not the filling. I have a no fill Amigo 1200d - has never let a drop through.

katie_southwest

Visit site
No fill Rambo original. My girl wouldn't normally have one on yet but as shes getting older I seem to be fussing her more!
My old boy has a rainsheet if its mild or the past couple of nights when its really rained hard/and or been colder he has a 100g on. Mind you he's 35 so Ill let him off :)

happyclappy

Visit site
I have one beastie who needs rugging lightly at night at the moment. I am using a no fill elico cheapy. Bought cheap rugs last winter as filly just kept outgrowing her rugs. I have never had any problems with rugs leaking though, despite often buying cheap.