What type is my horse for showing?

cblover

Visit site
Teddy 2 Shoes (aka tedbert) is a clyde x trad cob who is 3 in July. He's 16hh on his bum and a good 15.2hh on his withers and generally a chunk of a horse. He's never been a good example of a traditional cob and up until now I've shown him in youngstock and coloured classes at a very low level just for experience and to have some fun. I don't do anything that isn't fun!

Has anyone got some pics of large natives please so I can see whether he could go onto those classes? Or do I clip off the feathers completely, thin out and pull his mane (which is mega thick) and plait him up? Plus his mane is on the wrong side....has a mind of its own. lol The only thing I don't want to do is trim his whiskers off.

This pic was taken as a 2 yr old (I'm at work and don't have more recent pics on my computer) he's all leg and leaner now than this pic would suggest. Thanks.
IMG_4443.jpg

cblover

Visit site
Thank you, he's one hell of a size now I can tell you. Very respectful and a lovely chap....but big! lol

cblover

Visit site
I love clydesdales too or crosses like he is. I'm hoping I've got a diamond in the making with him! Time will tell no doubt.

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
I'd like to see him trimmed out and slimmed down, then try your hand at anything you fancy, as long as you're enjoying it who cares? What are your plans once he is riding?

cblover

Visit site
He's a lot slimmer now, if fact that pic is quite deceptive. I can feel his ribs easily and I think he's just about right now. I'm not sure what we'll do together. I'll back him and try a variety of things to see what he enjoys.

TelH

Visit site
When he's old enough to do ridden classes I would hog his mane, clip all his feathers off, pull his tail and show him as a maxi cob.

I like him :)

cblover

Visit site
Thanks for that, he's got plenty growing left I think. He's a cool dude and he means the world to me.

FubsyMog

Visit site
When he's old enough to do ridden classes I would hog his mane, clip all his feathers off, pull his tail and show him as a maxi cob.

I like him :)

I also think he would look jolly smart clipped and hogged. He looks like a real leg-at-each-corner type. Very handsome boy!

cblover

Visit site
Thanks everyone, he's very special to me. Still just a baby but I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result....might have to wait a while.

I have no problem clipping feathers off etc but not sure how I feel about taking his whiskers off...I'm not into showing massively, its just a bit of fun and experience for us.

Could I take his feathers off and pull his mane?

Visit site
He's too thick set for a pulled mane. Hogging all the way with him. Whiskes are fine to leave on but I would shave the beard off too.

He is defo a maxi cob in the making.

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
Reminds me of what tessybear's Dolly might make! He's gorgeous OP, and I defo think you should take everything off and show him as a maxi cob :)

cblover

Visit site
Thanks EKW, much appreciated. I think he needs his whiskers bless him. He's even got a lovely tash growing too! lol

I've always had traditionals, so this is all new to me. I can see him without feathers but hogging scares the life out of me! lol

Can I leave his mane (tidied up!) for showing in hand? Please tell me I can. x

cblover

Visit site
Cheers FP05, thats really kind of you. He's got so much growing to do, you should see the size of his knees and his head. I swear his head is the size of a toddler. lol

He's already in an x full bridle and a 6.5 inch bit! His rugs are 6ft 9's.

cblover

Visit site
Thanks Mariposa, I think I may be waiting a while to see the finished article. He'll be growing for another 3 years I think. He's still only 2.

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
Thanks EKW, much appreciated. I think he needs his whiskers bless him. He's even got a lovely tash growing too! lol

I've always had traditionals, so this is all new to me. I can see him without feathers but hogging scares the life out of me! lol

Can I leave his mane (tidied up!) for showing in hand? Please tell me I can. x

I think that you'll either need to go the whole hog (if you'll pardon the pun ;)) or leave him completely hairy.

cblover

Visit site
I had a feeling that would be the case.....I'll just have to be brave. Can I take it all off and show him in hand like that? Sorry for the silly questions. Lol

mandwhy

Visit site
He will be a lovely maxi cob! It's a shame you have to hog for it, I really dislike hogging for everyday purposes and even on lovely show horses would prefer them to have plaits of some kind! Maybe you could just take him in some sort of youngstock class for now :) sometimes there are part bred draft classes too. I think we must be a bit spoilt for 'extra' classes round here, even my haflinger has the choice of about 3 classes most of the time :) there are things like novice in hand too.

cblover

Visit site
Local to me there isn't a lot really. Just riding club classes which tend to be coloured or young stock. I may suggest draft type classes! Good idea.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I wonder, if you don't want to hog him as a baby still whether you could get away with doing a running plait down his neck instead so it still shows off line of neck and looks tidy, especially as clydie x. Not sure what the more showing type peeps would think though :)

cblover

Visit site
Here are some pics from tonight.....you can see his rather unsuccessful attempt at growing feathers bless him! I reckon their days are numbered. lol

And one just to prove he's like a giraffe! lol

jnb

Visit site
The Humdinger is a LW cob (155cm - 15.1hh and under) and not a Maxi cob.
This cob if hogged would (if under 155cm - OP states he is bigger than that) be a HW.

Hard to say whether he'd make a show cob maxi or otherwise, as yet. I can't see properly from the photos, but he looks to have the more "traditional" type of bone and not the flat bone of a show cob which can be seen on them when trimmed up.

cblover

Visit site
I really don't care what 'type' he is, all I know is that he's mine and I love him! lol I'm no hard core showing person, just a leisure owner who wants to show low key for experience for him.

His bum is 16hh and his withers are 15.2hh, so he's a big chap considering he's still only 2. The humdinger is very flash!