What type/make of wheel clamp do you use for your trailer?

Birker2020

Visit site
As title.

I currently use this one on mine

1626435198794.png but I'm not convinced its very safe as my late Father modified it as the plunger that you had to depress with the key inserted stopped working so Dad drilled through the plunger on the hole indicated on the 2nd image and I have a padlock through it now.

1626435449866.png

I've been looking at either getting a new Bulldog but keeping the plunger covered with plastic to stop the rain getting in it or whether to buy something else. There are quite a few different things on the market. I'm hoping not to spend more than £100 on one.

1626435351868.pngThis one looks good

but this one is only cheap 1626435378968.png so can't imagine it would be much good.

1626435416453.png This is another type.

asmp

Visit site
Not sure that unless you spend mega bucks there always the thieves can get round them. I’ve seen the scumbags cut through the loop over hitch locks and steal an RDA trailer and I’ve also seen a friend manage to get their own wheel one off when the lock jammed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
A hitch lock on its own is insufficient. The thieves just loop a chain through the draw bar and drag the trailer onto a low loader.

They can still do this even if there's a sturdy wheelclamp on a rear wheel, but it's much more hassle for them, so you hope that they leave your trailer alone and look elsewhere.

There have been a lot of trailer and caravan thefts recently in these parts.

Britestar

Visit site
I use the one that came from the manufacturer. Always on unless using the trailer.
If away from home and unhitched, I add a hitchlock too.

Birker2020

Visit site
A hitch lock on its own is insufficient. The thieves just loop a chain through the draw bar and drag the trailer onto a low loader.

They can still do this even if there's a sturdy wheelclamp on a rear wheel, but it's much more hassle for them, so you hope that they leave your trailer alone and look elsewhere.

There have been a lot of trailer and caravan thefts recently in these parts.
Bulldog Titan. Hefty but very secure.

Ah, but over budget, sorry.
I can get one via a friend who works in the auto trade for £129 so might just buy it.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have a hitchlock on the trailer which is currently sandwiched between a tall bank and farm machinery so almost inaccessible. It is also datatagged, insured and I was planning on painting the farm postcode on the roof when I can get hold of a ladder long enough to reach. Have to agree though if the scum want it they will have it regardless of how many locks, chains or clamps it is covered in.

Widgeon

Visit site
I use a Bulldog Titan, whatever the version is that fits on an old Ifor. Like this one (link below). It's pretty hefty and is on the rear wheel as a bit of a deterrent against dragging away (tbh if someone tried to drag it away like that down our lane they wouldn't be left with anything saleable at the end!)
https://www.safe.co.uk/products/qd34-caravan-clamp.html
Also a hitch lock, and then I lock the hitch onto the hitch lock too.

phizz4

Visit site
What's the trailer worth? What would your excess cost you if it was stolen? As long as the lock costs less than the excess you are getting value for money. Also, bear in mind, that if it is stolen your premium for the replacement will go up. A very good lock gives your more peace of mind and, over the years, costs very little compared to the hassle of replacing a stolen trailer.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
What's the trailer worth? What would your excess cost you if it was stolen? As long as the lock costs less than the excess you are getting value for money. Also, bear in mind, that if it is stolen your premium for the replacement will go up. A very good lock gives your more peace of mind and, over the years, costs very little compared to the hassle of replacing a stolen trailer.

^^^ I agree. Following this topic with interest as am needing to decide on trailer insurance right now.

A friend advised me that IF you are leaving your trailer anywhere, good policy to - before you ride off and leave it - take a photo showing the wheelclamp or whatever security device, on the trailer and fitted.

That way, if you do end up in the unfortunate situation of needing to claim, then you have photographic evidence of the day/time etc and showing that you DID apply the security device, as some insurance policies won't pay out unless you can prove it!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
^^^^ Good point, Mijods, about getting photo proof.

A year or two back the usual suspects pulled up in two vehicles alongside a trailer left hitched up at Delamere Forest while the owners were off riding. They were in the process of nicking it (would have been done and gone in minutes) but a coach driver who was with his parked vehicle chased them off.

Trailer thieves have it down to a fine art.

Birker2020

Visit site
I have a hitchlock on the trailer which is currently sandwiched between a tall bank and farm machinery so almost inaccessible. It is also datatagged, insured and I was planning on painting the farm postcode on the roof when I can get hold of a ladder long enough to reach. Have to agree though if the scum want it they will have it regardless of how many locks, chains or clamps it is covered in.
Yes my previous house postcode is on the roof not that it matters as its my Mums house.

Trailer is due to go in for repainting soon so I will have to remember to paint the post code again.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Bulldog Titan 210/DF and a stronghold hitchlock, both when I am out and when it's parked in my locked barn (I live in the bit next-door!) Always do a pic to show it was secure when I left it. Even so, I'd not leave it anywhere remote or unattended.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
That's not very reassuring. I've driven off with my Bulldog Euroclamp on and its gone through the mudguard and made a right old mess, luckily Dad managed to straighten it and repaint it.

SOS

Visit site
I’d have locks on as a visual deterrent. But they took mine from a friends farm within minutes with locks on. Very efficient and nothing will stop them.

Ive chosen now to have half decent locks but insure well and take photo evidence of them on. That way it’s covered if they take it. Atleast trailers are fairly replaceable, my truck wouldn’t be and I have a lot of security on that.