What type of bedding do you use??

ajones

Visit site
shavings that my hubby makes as hes a joiner, its free and hes super carefull that its clean and as dust free as possible. i've found nails in shaving i've bought in the past!

kerilli

Visit site
Ecobed (cardboard bedding), i've used it for years, can't fault it.
it's super-clean, totally dust-free, doesn't break down to dust with use (unlike shavings etc), inedible, warm, very absorbent, rots down and makes a great mulch and keeps weeds down while rotting, much cleaner than paper - newsprint can infect cuts etc, which doesn't happen with cardboard. the growths of moulds etc are also much lower on it (scientific studies etc) than on other bedding types, appara. also, costs the same as shavings.
wouldn't change to anything else, tbh. i think it's the perfect bedding, just can't work out why it hasn't caught on more. if you're really fussy i suppose it doesn't look quite as nice as a creamy-white shavings bed, but they don't usually stay like that for long!

peanut

Visit site
Straw because it's cheaper at my yard - she is not messy and shows no inclination to eat it fortunately!

spaniel

Visit site
I use Hunter shavings but in an ideal world I prefer straw. Sadly both mine would eat their way through their beds if I used it.

Used Megazorb in the past and rate that very highly indeed especially if you like some form of deep litter arrangement. Its the most absorbant material I have ever come across.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Bedmax
smile.gif

Ani

Visit site
I use Megazorb, it looks like tissues you've left in your pocket and washed but is superb for deep litter or thin bed on top of matting. Much more abzorbant than shavings and once the bed is settled you just scoop the droppings off the top each day, it takes two minutes. it is also fantastic if you have issues with the amount of waste because you literally just remove the droppings. I have used all types of bedding over the years and when I ran yards, I used to trial new bedding for companies, this is by far the best I ever tried. I must say it is very economical too, for instance 1 bag costs about £5.50 and I put a new bed down on the 13th Dec. I used 13 bags (which sounds like alot) but since then I have only added 1 bag and have not needed to take any wet out, it is not wet at all, it looks really tidy and so quick to do.

RachelB

Visit site
At "home" (I'm not at the yard at the mo but not through my own choice!) we use paper (with rubber matting, although one horse has it without matting). I like it but probably only because I'm so used to it! I've almost grown up using it so I've grown to like it and know how best to use it.
At work we have straw (what I'd use if I didn't use paper) and AquaMax (which is really quick and easy to muck out but it smells horrible and gets so damned dusty in the summer) all with rubber matting.
Of my two share horses, one is on just straw (well it's mostly hay now as she's so wasteful
smirk.gif
) and one is on matting with a thin layer of shavings. The other horse there who I also muck out occasionally has a base of shavings and straw on top.
I reckon a nice big bed of straw is my favourite as long as they don't wee too much or it gets really mucky. For those that wee a lot, the AquaMax is good, though my horse wees a lot but has respiratory problems so I'd rather have her on paper!

MillionDollar

Visit site
Straw mainly because I don't have to pay for it. If I did then I'd use Flax. When my stables are finished in a couple of weeks then they'll be on rubber matting with straw, might change to Flax in the future though.

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ecobed (cardboard bedding), i've used it for years, can't fault it.
it's super-clean, totally dust-free, doesn't break down to dust with use (unlike shavings etc), inedible, warm, very absorbent, rots down and makes a great mulch and keeps weeds down while rotting, much cleaner than paper - newsprint can infect cuts etc, which doesn't happen with cardboard. the growths of moulds etc are also much lower on it (scientific studies etc) than on other bedding types, appara. also, costs the same as shavings.
wouldn't change to anything else, tbh. i think it's the perfect bedding, just can't work out why it hasn't caught on more. if you're really fussy i suppose it doesn't look quite as nice as a creamy-white shavings bed, but they don't usually stay like that for long!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been converted !!! this is fantastic stuff i love it for the exact reasons you stated !!