What type of bit would you recommend using on my horse?

EquiMaddie

Visit site
I've recently decided that I'd come here and post this question as I'm very intrigued to see what other people might have to say, as sometimes it's really helpful to get another person's perspective of things. I have a gorgeous, dramatic and sassy mare named Millie who has always been slightly on the strong side. Shes not a naughty or disrespectful horse in any way despite how she might seem on the ground (throwing tantrums if I leave her or don't give her attention!) and will honestly do everything she can to please me when I'm in the saddle, which is one of my favorite things about her. Shes a rescue horse and when I first got her, me and my dad would handle her everyday and take her riding on the roads just to get her familiar with everything and to build a bond between us, which definitely worked, however at this point Millie was only just broken in and completely untouched so she had some horrible habits. She was abnormally strong and used to love taking me for long runs across acres of land after she decided it was time to run off and it used to drive me mad, and at the time she was ridden in a snaffle as it was what the rescue had her in. It didn't take long to realize her bossy, bold personality and so we did a lot of work on the ground with her before I was allowed to focus on any proper riding (aside from hacking out) just to make sure she wasn't being disrespectful and I can honestly say shes perfect now. She is still a little bossy, over dramatic mare and loves to be center of attention, however she listens to every word I say and shes harmless. I obviously changed her bit from a snaffle after all her antics as it just wasn't safe to ride her in one because she had complete control over me, she would pig root and run off, all of it. Overtime I bought her a flash, a gag etc. and geared her up so that I had good control and we went that way for a long time. However, the lady who owns the livery we stay at once asked me if I truly needed to be so harsh on her anymore and that I needed to ask myself, does she really still need a flash or would she go well in a softer bit? I do agree with this to some extent, and so I put her in a snaffle for a bit and it was an absolute disaster. I had no control again and even ended up taking a gate down at a fun ride, not because she misbehaves but because shes genuinely such a strong, confident horse that when she sees an opportunity to jump or canter she really wants to go. I currently have her in a Kimblewick which she rides amazingly in; I'm able to hack her out and keep her underneath me without her excitement racing out from underneath me. However, I'm still not sure that this is the best choice as, despite her strong nature, she is still a very sensitive horse and will react to any pressure. This means that as soon as I pick up the reins she knows the chain will come in to action so she lifts her head, gets all tense and tries to trot. To me, this implies that maybe the kimblewick is a bit too much, because as soon as she thinks its going to function she kind of counteracts it, because if I have her in a gag for example, she doesn't do this. I'd much rather have more control than less, however I just feel that I really struggle to get the balance right between her sensitivity and her strength, even when schooling as soon as I pick up the reins she reacts, lifting her head and getting shorter etc which is really annoying as I can't get her to work smoothly. I was just wondering if maybe anyone had any suggestions or rode/has a horse of a similar nature? (Sorry for the essay! ;) )

ihatework

Visit site
It will predominantly be a riding/training thing, so my recommendation is a decent instructor regularly.

Bit wise, if she is more relaxed in a gag action rather than a curb but i’d be inclined to try a Wilkie for schooling. Or double reins on your gag with the aim to ride predominantly of the snaffle rein.

TheMule

Visit site
A pelham with 2 reins would seem like a good option to try so you have a softer rein most of the time and then the strength of the curb when you need it

be positive

Visit site
I would use a snaffle of some sort for schooling and work on her accepting the aids in an enclosed area, possibly some lessons will help, then continue to use the kimblewick or gag for more exciting things, taking her on a fun ride in a snaffle was probably not your best idea, many horses require something stronger for faster work although it may be a pain changing the bit it is what many of us do until we feel we may be fine in a snaffle at all time but it is not a problem if they never go in one for everything.

EquiMaddie

Visit site
I did originally think this too, at one point I even thought a fitness/excitement thing although I suppose it could be a mixture of both. I just can't seem to find a bit which she isn't behind/in front of and I want to make sure that she is in something comfortable and correct. I love the idea of double reins on her gag as I school her in a gag and I've never tried that so thank you for the idea! I do also like the sound of a Wilkie for schooling as I prefer to use things with some poll action.

EquiMaddie

Visit site
It will predominantly be a riding/training thing, so my recommendation is a decent instructor regularly.

Bit wise, if she is more relaxed in a gag action rather than a curb but i’d be inclined to try a Wilkie for schooling. Or double reins on your gag with the aim to ride predominantly of the snaffle rein.

I did originally think this too, at one point I even thought a fitness/excitement thing although I suppose it could be a mixture of both. I just can't seem to find a bit which she isn't behind/in front of and I want to make sure that she is in something comfortable and correct. I love the idea of double reins on her gag as I school her in a gag and I've never tried that so thank you for the idea! I do also like the sound of a Wilkie for schooling as I prefer to use things with some poll action.

EquiMaddie

Visit site
A pelham with 2 reins would seem like a good option to try so you have a softer rein most of the time and then the strength of the curb when you need it

Yes I do like the sound of 2 reins I've never considered that. Would you suggest riding her in a pelham just for exciting things or schooling as well?

EquiMaddie

Visit site
I would use a snaffle of some sort for schooling and work on her accepting the aids in an enclosed area, possibly some lessons will help, then continue to use the kimblewick or gag for more exciting things, taking her on a fun ride in a snaffle was probably not your best idea, many horses require something stronger for faster work although it may be a pain changing the bit it is what many of us do until we feel we may be fine in a snaffle at all time but it is not a problem if they never go in one for everything.

I've always agreed with this, the issue is I've had her for 5 years now I believe and have done a ridiculous amount of schooling, as well as attending lessons and pony club etc. and I think it just got to the point where I accepted that shes just a very forward going, excitable fizzy horse rather than it being a behavior thing. I could obviously be wrong, but at times when we do something less exciting, like maybe walking and trotting circles in the school, she listens beautifully and doesn't get hyped up.

MaxboleyBlack

Visit site
I used to have an issue with my old gelding tanking off whilst doing XC, hunting etc and switched to a waterford and he seemed to get on really well with that.

EquiMaddie

Visit site
I used to have an issue with my old gelding tanking off whilst doing XC, hunting etc and switched to a waterford and he seemed to get on really well with that.

I have heard this! I bought her a waterford gag for schooling which I do love her in and she seems much better in the school ever since. Its just the issue with hacking out or exciting things, as I'd fear that in a waterford she might not listen as its a lot softer, but when in the kimblewick she reacts too quickly to me picking up the reins as shes learnt that chain = pressure which means she lifts her head and gets tense.

ihatework

Visit site
I have heard this! I bought her a waterford gag for schooling which I do love her in and she seems much better in the school ever since. Its just the issue with hacking out or exciting things, as I'd fear that in a waterford she might not listen as its a lot softer, but when in the kimblewick she reacts too quickly to me picking up the reins as shes learnt that chain = pressure which means she lifts her head and gets tense.

I think you need to re-evaluate your opinion of what a Waterford gag is. This is not a soft option and for me would be something I would only consider, after excluding other options, for fast/xc/hunting on an unruly horse.

A Waterford gag in my opinion will never enable you to train your horse correctly

EquiMaddie

Visit site
I think you need to re-evaluate your opinion of what a Waterford gag is. This is not a soft option and for me would be something I would only consider, after excluding other options, for fast/xc/hunting on an unruly horse.

A Waterford gag in my opinion will never enable you to train your horse correctly

Okay, well what makes you say that? I was actually advised to get her a waterford gag as, like I said, she works best with poll pressure (hence the gag) and as I mentioned before, I used to struggle with her pig rooting, or getting her tongue behind the bit and running off etc which is why a waterford was suggested, as she is unable to do that. Due to her being so strong, I prefer to ride her in something which can be considered as strong at times if needed. I appreciate your views, what makes you think I shouldn't school her in a waterford? Its interesting to hear other peoples ideas as I obviously wouldn't think of them myself. Do you think it would be better to ride her out in the waterford if you don't believe its any good for schooling?

Last edited: