What type of dog to get?

lizness

Visit site
Hello,
Am looking to get a puppy in the new year. The criteria are:

* Must be good with cats, other dogs, cows, sheep and horses.
* Must be trainable and be able to be let off the lead
* Must not require tonnes of exercise
* Must not be any bigger than a small labrador
* Preferably not cost a fortune to buy.

ANy ideas anyone. Obviously training will make a difference to any type of dog but if anyone has any ideas of any breeds/crosses that would be good?

Liz

Annette4

Visit site
Corgi
laugh.gif

Aru

Visit site
an older rescue would probly be the safest as they are generally assesed with cats...and you can choose the size

breed wise,
bichon frise(might be expensive to buy but a a surprisingly nice friendly dog for a small breed)

Minature schnauzers can be nice little-medium dogs,stubborn ocasionally but generally bidable provided there not spoilt,dont have hugh energy requirement apart from their daily walk, but may be expensive to come across with health checks.

Cavelier king charles can be nice spaniels(sanest of the spaniel lot)but they do need their health checks.

Up the energy rating a little and a Cocker spaniel would be good match,ive met some lovely little cockers and once they settle down a litte from there long puppy stage,round 2, seems to be the norm(though i have seen the odd sane 6mth old they are rare), they are lovely dogs.Good with stock and general very trainable.

Of course you could always get a small lab,bitches are smaller, but again energy levels til the age of 2 can be an issue.

sighthounds like the whippets and greyhounds may be fine if there reared with a confident cat to put them in their place as a pup.

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
I'd say go for a small lab, but then I'm biased! Mine are almost 2 and 3 and they do get a lot of exercise which would go a long way in explaining why they are so chilled out in the house! If you check out both the parents though and assess their temperaments, if they are chilled then there's a good chance they will pass this trait on to the pups - although they will be bouncy and full of beans when they're young. Mine chilled out significantly when they reached a yr.

Failing that, how about a cavalier king charles?! Cute, small and like to sleep!

lizness

Visit site
Hello,
Thanks for all the advice.
The two that appeal the most are cocker spaniels and whippets. But particularily cocker spaniels. Are cockers aas hyper as springers? Anyone else have/had cockers?
Liz

fmay

Visit site
We have never had any problems with whippets, greyhounds, lurchers and hounds and cats. The cats were there firts and the dogs learnt to respect them.
We are looking for another dog and whippet is top of the list.
cool.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Im a cocker girl and although they are jolly and up for anything they also like their comfort so will spend as long as they can in bed if there is nothing going on. You do need to train them though or they can be willfull little beggars. Recall can be very difficult!

As pets they are loyal and surprisingly keen to guard your home so if you dont want barking dont get one.

If you want an affectionate intelligent shadow then a cocker mgith be a good bet for you with the advantage that they will work if thats what you are after.

Aru

Visit site
My aunt occasionally breeds working cockers(if she has a very good worker), so most of my relative's have one,and im planning on getting one when i qualify.

I wouldnt say they are as hyper as Springers, judging by the springers i know,who are all loons, but they are lively and full of beans for the first two years anyway.After a certain point they are happy to settle and snuggle up with people and just be petted though but they do go through hyper dashing mad around the place stages!

So far i havent heard of any issues training them. Ive always found them eager to please and learn but they can be willful little bugger's if they are let away with murder from puppyhood!

There coats do need minding,clipping is usually the easiest way to manage it unless you like to brush and clean dogs regularly,but clipping isnt very difficult once there used to it. My auntie clips her 3 herself.

If afriad i dont no a lot about whippets though....

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hello,
Am looking to get a puppy in the new year. The criteria are:

* Must be good with cats, other dogs, cows, sheep and horses.
* Must be trainable and be able to be let off the lead
* Must not require tonnes of exercise
* Must not be any bigger than a small labrador
* Preferably not cost a fortune to buy.

ANy ideas anyone. Obviously training will make a difference to any type of dog but if anyone has any ideas of any breeds/crosses that would be good?

Liz

[/ QUOTE ]

Finnish Lapphunds fits all the four first criteria, though I don't know how much they cost in the UK to buy.

grin.gif