What type of grass or weed is this?

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I'd second the cow parsley, although there are several similar looking species (wild carrot type things) the only one that I can think of that is poisonous is hemlock, but that usually grows near watercourses, has blotchy red stems and (apparently) a smell of mice when crushed. Never smelt the latter, but then I can't say I've ever sniffed a mouse...

little_critter

Visit site
I'd second the cow parsley, although there are several similar looking species (wild carrot type things) the only one that I can think of that is poisonous is hemlock, but that usually grows near watercourses, has blotchy red stems and (apparently) a smell of mice when crushed. Never smelt the latter, but then I can't say I've ever sniffed a mouse...
Have you ever kept mice / rats / other pet rodents? Or seen them in a pet shop. Think of that musky / fusty rodent bedding smell....hemlock is like that.

Horsekaren

Visit site
There is a lot of it in the paddock I’m about to take on. It’s flat land surrounded by horse fields, had horses on it for 20 years but has been resting for 3 months. The agreement says I’m responsible for checking for toxic plants , not sure if that is normal :/

also there are sheep next door, the boy hates little horses god knows how he will feel about sheep!
am I right to think don’t worry, he will soon get used to them ?

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
There is a lot of it in the paddock I’m about to take on. It’s flat land surrounded by horse fields, had horses on it for 20 years but has been resting for 3 months. The agreement says I’m responsible for checking for toxic plants , not sure if that is normal :/

also there are sheep next door, the boy hates little horses god knows how he will feel about sheep!
am I right to think don’t worry, he will soon get used to them ?

He’ll get used to them, eventually. Could be cow parsley or hemlock. There’s a good bunch of it. If in doubt, dig (spray) it out.

Darbs

Visit site
You may be interested that there is an app called PlantSnap, where you take a photo of a plant and it automatically identifies it for you. I have used it a few times and its remarkably good.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Thanks! i put it on a plant forum and you are right. Glad its edible as there is sooooo much of it!
Defo will be downloading the plant snap App :)