What weight can a horse carry?

amandap

Visit site
Thanks for that and very interesting that their findings concur with the old Cavalry weight carrying guide. :) Makes sense to me. I feel a link sharing coming on. lol

ps. It doesn't mention what happens when horses are overweight themselves.

Bertolie

Visit site
I also notice it is based on the horses body weight - so the morbidly obese 14.3 cob at the yard can carry significantly more than the ideal weight 14.3 cob? :rolleyes:

I really dont think you can put any 'formula' in place to determine how much a horse can carry. It has to be based on each individual horse surely?

Nicnac

Visit site
Woohoo - finally a sensible response.

I was very worried that this was another of those bl&&dy 'I am too heavy for my horse threads' :p

Please can this be 'stickied' and anyone who asks the above question in the next 10 years be referred straight to it.

Thank you TP!

Spyda

Visit site
I still feel 20% is a little on the high side. It would mean my mare should be able to comfortably carry 18 stone of weight. Nope. I really doubt it. And certainly not comfortably.

15% seems more reasonable. Brings my mare's comfortable weight to just over 14 stone, which I feel would be about right. Sure, she could carry more but I think she'd feel it.

amandap

Visit site
I notice in the abstract wider loins and thicker cannon bones were also found to help with weight carrying... these are also long established measures used to assess weight carrying capability.

Mark & Carrie

Visit site
i think 20% total is about right and certainly agrees with most of the stuff I have read.

Have to bear in mind that 20% includes all tack - some saddles can weigh up to 10kg which is 1st 8lbs of weight AND a rider in full riding gear including riding boots and hat (and lots of layers at the moment :D) will weigh more than just someone on the scales at home.

Last edited:

Mark Gilbert

Visit site
Its difficult subject, I ride everything from 14 hands upwards, its a dependent on breed really. Take a sec D Welsh cob, now they can carry exceptional weight, but cross it with something a bit more lightly boned then the weight it would carry healthy wise would dramatically reduce.

I would judge weight carrying too bone size not horse/pony weight. Fat horses/ponies carrying heavy person would possibly = heart attack! in either the animal or rider!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Tinypony

Visit site
I think it might come in useful to quote when faced with someone who is clearly too heavy and doesn't want to admit it?