What weird stuff do you feed your horses?

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
I was having this discussion with a friend last week, as she was amazed that I throw bread out for my horses - she had never realised that horses eat bread! What with the financial climate at the moment, I wondered whether anyone else had any tips for cutting down on hard feed/hay needed.

I had one horse that used to get a can of Guiness every night in his feed - he was lacking a lot of condition when we bought him and my vet advised a can of Guiness. I had never thought about it before, but apparently it is very common in showing and racing yards. It worked an absolute treat. When my dad said it must cost a fortune, I pointed out that a 32 pack was about £18 from the supermarket, and would last a month - about the same, if not less, than any supplement on the market,

I also feed my horses loaves of bread in the winter (and summer if a loaf goes stale). I squish it in their haynets in the winter, as a little extra food. For 40p a loaf, it is a really cost effective dose of bran.

My favourite little extra, and one that a lot of people cannot try because of where it is grown, is whole sugarbeet. My OH is a farmer, and I get as much as of the stuff as I want for free in the winter. I give each of my horses a bucket full every night, and they love the stuff! It looks just like a swede, and it means that I can cut down a bit on the amount of haylage I am feeding. If your OH isn't a farmer, then there is no reason why you can't approach the local farm and ask if he will sell you some - I think last year the going price was about £20 per tonne!! Of course, it is really only grown in East Anglia, so a bit of a geography problem for the majority.

Ezme

Visit site
Our boys have had guniess/ale/scrumpy jack over the years. they love it.

Mag always used to have some of my flapjack at break time but now he's partnered with scrooge alot he doesn't get it too often. Stupid scrooge has a real agressive trantrum if another horse is fed and he isn't. Although at actual dinner time he's very well behaved, waits and never kicks his door. strange boy

Ottinmeg

www.equestrianimage.com
i was always told not to feed lots of bread but a friend of mine who has a county show cob always gives him half a loaf a day and it hasnt done him any harm. I don't feed mine anything weird as such but they often try and steal whatever you happen to be eating at the time.

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
Mine deffo eats bread.. even stole my ham sandwiches once, but she would eat almost anything including flaming hot monster much(crazy horse) lol

dressager

Visit site
Someone at my yard has been known to feed their horse curry powder
shocked.gif

Does it get any weirder than that?!

jen1

Visit site
Oh yes it does!!!

My horse likes the satsumas my kids get from school and never seem to eat! My friends horse likes old bananas and the other day she found out that it likes curry sauce!! (DON'T ASK!!)
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Someone at my yard has been known to feed their horse curry powder
shocked.gif

Does it get any weirder than that?!

[/ QUOTE ]

bet its fun mucking that horses stable out...not!
grin.gif
crazy.gif

RachelB

Visit site
My friend feeds stale bread as a treat, never before it's nice and hard though in case we end up with one choking.
One woman at the yard used to feed her horses all sorts of "junk" such as oranges and cabbages and broccoli (junk for a horse that is, considering the toxicity of cabbages and excess vitamin C in oranges that cannot possibly be good...)
I prefer to stick to the regular carrots personally!

hellybelly6

Visit site
My horse stole an orange from my friend, he crushed it, chewed it and spat out the peel, whole. There was juice everywhere.

My horse will eat just about anything, but I just stick to traditional carrots, apples, pears and bananas.

He once ate cat sick from the stable floor, I had to walk away from that one.