What will pull my trailer??

Amazingchloe

Visit site
I've got a 16'2 tb mare and a bateson trailer, but nothing to pull it with so im jus wondering if anyone knows if a Mercedes A class will pull it? i dont think it will but i thought id see if anyone had a clue about these kinds of things as theyr a mystory to me x

Sneedy

Visit site
If you've got a death wish then go ahead
blush.gif
crazy.gif
!!!
You need a 4x4, and not a 'utility' one, a decent one eg Discovery, Defender, Shogun, Isuzu Trooper etc. It scares me when I see trailers, even with 1 horse, being pulled by under powered, lightweight vehicles. Remember you are towing a live load that can move around and you want a robust vehicle to get you from A to B safely!!
Have fun shopping for one
laugh.gif
!!!!

Happytohack

Visit site
A Mercedes A class will not pull a trailer. Not only does the vehicle you are towing with have to "pull" the trailer, but it has to be able to stop it as well when going down hill. You need a decent 4x4 (not something like a Rav4) with plenty of pulling power. All the manufacturers will list the maximum towing weight of their vehicles. At a guess, your trailer will weigh 800-900 kg, your horse probably weighs 600kg, then you will have tack, water, etc., and maybe another horse/pony occasionally. I've seen some horrible accidents where vehicles just haven't been up to towing.

chestnutlou

New User
Visit site
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs Max Authorised Mass (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM. In both cases I think a A class would fall short on the weight front.
If that makes any sense!

Amazingchloe

Visit site
thanks thats what i thought, but just wanted to check! we have a frontera which we used to pull it but we're going to buy a new one in the next few weeks so we can do the winter indoor season
thanks