What would/should happen when on LWVTB?

TequilaMist

Visit site
This is purely a hypothetical question ,it hasn't happen. A friend is thinking of doing this but it got me wondering what would happen if say horse does a tendon whilst on loan period?
Would you expect the loaner to purchase horse for agreed price? lower price? Or would the owner be stuck with an unsaleable/reduced price horse and vet bills?Or would you expect loaner to keep horse til sound?
I have never been in this position as either fully loaned or bought so just wondering what peoples thoughts are.
What would be a reasonable expectation if this did happen?

Polos Mum

Visit site
I suspect the loaner would just hand the horse back and owner would be stuck with it until he recovered and could be put up for sale again.
The owner should continue to insure the horse in any loan situation so vet bills would be covered by owner.
I guess if the loaner really had fallen in love then they could offer a lower price but no reason the owner would have to accept it - if it was certain that the horse would come fully sound in the long run. I guess it would depend on how much the owner wanted to sell.
LWVTB are a nightmare for this sort of reason - horses do odd things to themselves sometimes !!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
My horse went on LWVTB. Horse was insured but had a kick in the field and sustained a lump which meant the loaner didn't want to risk buying.
As it turned out, the horse was absolutely fine after treatment. The loaners were very genuine and quite devastated but couldn't commit to buying a horse that might not be able to compete.

I wouldn't ever do it again although when selling, but I do always ask for first refusal because I'd hate them not to have a good home.

Pigeon

Visit site
I would personally never ever put a horse on loan with view to buy.

I had one on loan with view to buy, as he failed the vet and I really liked him, so we decided to keep him for a couple of months and see if he would come sound. He didn't unfortunately :( But if he had injured himself further whilst in my care, it would have put us all in a very difficult situation. Realistically, if the horse injures itself, there is nothing to stop the loan-home just sending it back.

TequilaMist

Visit site
It is really a hard one!
I would hate it to happen to me as I know I would feel obliged to buy horse as it would have been 'broken' whilst in my care. But in reality may be totally different if faced with it.
Would never do a lwvtb as know I would be more than annoyed if horse got broken and then they handed it back.Probably because if I was selling it would mean I really didn't want it don't sell on.Did with the ponies but daughter onto horses so shouldn't outgrow them.