What would you class as a novice?

Kat

Visit site
I agree that the "I can walk, trot, canter and gallop" phrase does ring certain alarm bells. Not necessarily fair ones, but in the scheme of things galloping is way easier than say riding a horse in connection or riding certain lateral movements. Likewise statements about the height of jumps ring alarm bells as so often it is just one fence complete with placing pole done after building up. That is very different to riding a competitive course of jumps.

I really don't agree that novice = numpty.

The scale of where you are at riding skill wise is something like beginner, novice, intermediate, advanced. Novice doesn't mean stupid it means at an early stage of learning. Numpty is suggestive of stupidity, or at the very least lack of awareness of ability. It is unfair to call all novices numpties. There are probably a multitude of sub levels and different attitudes to what constitues each level, and people who don't fit easily within definitions.

It is difficult to see where the OP sits, the fact that she has competed and hunted suggests she is not a novice, but her description of her issues with canter suggest she is. It could be that she has hunted but was a complete passenger on an experienced horse and that her competitions were low level/unsuccessful/on a very forgiving horse. Or it could be that her description is overly critical and her issues with canter are minor and a combination of an unhelpful horse and slight lack of balance/core strength and she is actually a very competant rider.

SamanthaUK

Visit site
I've done hunting on a first time hunter. I won a chase me charlie at 2ft 9. I competed at low level shows, clear round jumping etc.. and I competed at Kilnsey show doing and equitation class.

When I said I can walk, trot, canter and gallop. I wasn't meaning it as though saying 'i'm fantastic' or anything. I was mearly stating what i've done.

Sorry for the inconvienience.

Kat

Visit site
No inconvenience, it is just one of those questions that starts debates.

The thing is you can be riding for years, in control out hacking and look pretty novicey in the school. A lot of real seasoned hunters are like that but they gallop and jump fearlessly. On the other hand you can be schooling dressage at medium level but never jump and be a complete wreck out hacking.

Personally for me you are a beginner until you can reliably walk trot canter and pop a small fence in control on a sensible horse without having any major issues in a confined space, probably up to about pony club D test level. You are certainly a novice until you can ride a sensible but not ploddy horse in all paces and over a small fence, both in the school and in the open and in company in balance. In addition you should be capable of influencing the way the horse does those things and dealing with minor disobedience (spooks, small bucks, napping, running out at a jump etc). I would put the point you stop being a novice about at the level you would need to be at to pass BHS stage 1 or equivalent. After that I would probably say you would more sensibly be classified as "competent" or "intermediate" or something.

However that doesn't mean that you stop learning! Recognising how much you have to learn is hugely important.

SamanthaUK

Visit site
No inconvenience, it is just one of those questions that starts debates.

The thing is you can be riding for years, in control out hacking and look pretty novicey in the school. A lot of real seasoned hunters are like that but they gallop and jump fearlessly. On the other hand you can be schooling dressage at medium level but never jump and be a complete wreck out hacking.

Personally for me you are a beginner until you can reliably walk trot canter and pop a small fence in control on a sensible horse without having any major issues in a confined space, probably up to about pony club D test level. You are certainly a novice until you can ride a sensible but not ploddy horse in all paces and over a small fence, both in the school and in the open and in company in balance. In addition you should be capable of influencing the way the horse does those things and dealing with minor disobedience (spooks, small bucks, napping, running out at a jump etc). I would put the point you stop being a novice about at the level you would need to be at to pass BHS stage 1 or equivalent. After that I would probably say you would more sensibly be classified as "competent" or "intermediate" or something.

However that doesn't mean that you stop learning! Recognising how much you have to learn is hugely important.

I think with some bareback riding and riding without stirrups I could probably get it. Think is I don't have a pony/horse to do that so it's difficult and I know I have loooaaaddss to improve on and i'm prepared to learn.