What would you do. Help please

Madam_max

Visit site
So I have both Corroy and Felix on Livery. It's a good yard and they get turned out most days. My problem is Corroy is now 20 and I have decided just to hack her with the odd lunge and schooling session (which she hates). They are both very happy there and Corroy can be stressy if not happy. However. Corroy keeps going on and off a little lame (prob 1/10). I really try not to worry about it as she's only hacked gently and gets stiff and very grumpy if not worked (she loves work). Is it mean to just hack a horse that is 'slightly' off that would be more unhappy and stiff doing nothing? She did a front suspensory two years ago and the vet said she will have 'off days. But, as I said she loves work and I think she would decline not doing anything.

My yard is also a 25 min drive and fairly pricey, which is fine as long as they are happy and I need the facilities for Felix as he's my competition horse. I would also find it hard work having them in two places, but there is nowhere with decent facilites for Felix, although prob more suited to Corroy.

Sorry for the ramble.....

Batgirl

Visit site
Is it mean to just hack a horse that is 'slightly' off that would be more unhappy and stiff doing nothing?

this would be the question

IMO I would say as long as she is happy in the work and it doesn't aggravate it/make it worse no prob. Mine is regularly 1/10th to 1/20th lame and he competes, checked by physio/vet etc.

You know your horse so ....

kerilli

Visit site
Is it worth giving Corroy Bute or NoBute or similar the day before you want to hack her, just to make it a bit easier for her (or is she on something already?)
Does she stiffen up more on the days when she isn't allowed out?
What's her quality of life like? Is she miserable being retired?

Madam_max

Visit site
Is it mean to just hack a horse that is 'slightly' off that would be more unhappy and stiff doing nothing?

this would be the question

IMO I would say as long as she is happy in the work and it doesn't aggravate it/make it worse no prob. Mine is regularly 1/10th to 1/20th lame and he competes, checked by physio/vet etc.

You know your horse so ....

Thank you. She not always like it. Just has 'off' days. She is also regulary checked by a decent physio, vet etc etc.

Madam_max

Visit site
Is it worth giving Corroy Bute or NoBute or similar the day before you want to hack her, just to make it a bit easier for her (or is she on something already?)
Does she stiffen up more on the days when she isn't allowed out?
What's her quality of life like? Is she miserable being retired?

I give her a bute if she's 'off. Yes she does stiffen up if she can't go out, but equally she's always been treated as a comp horse, so she goes out at 8 and comes in at 1. By 1 she is desperate to come in as she is just very used to this way of life. She is very miserable of not worked and she will leave her hay for her tack, ready to do something, even if it is just hacking. She's still as lively as ever out and about and spins around and always ready for a bot of action.

amage

Visit site
I give her a bute if she's 'off. Yes she does stiffen up if she can't go out, but equally she's always been treated as a comp horse, so she goes out at 8 and comes in at 1. By 1 she is desperate to come in as she is just very used to this way of life. She is very miserable of not worked and she will leave her hay for her tack, ready to do something, even if it is just hacking. She's still as lively as ever out and about and spins around and always ready for a bot of action.

I would have thought obvious thing would be up her work load a bit to keep her more occupied given that at her age it has been her way of life for so long. I firmly believe there is alot to be said for "mental soundness"....ie if she needs a bit of help so she can do a bit more (i'm not saying overdo it) so that mentally she is happier then it's worth it. Some horses just don't like slowing down. Perhaps look at some natural alternatives to bute!

Tempi

Visit site
I would leave her as she is, keep doing what you are doing. As long as she is happy and healthy then there isnt a problem. Do suppling exercises whilst out hacking and maybe throw in a little schooling if you can to keep her loose. If she doesnt like going in the school or being lunged then don't do it. Just do what she enjoys.

I'll FB you in a minute xx

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
If her lameness can be attributed to being in for long periods and I would consider 19 hours (if she's in from 1pm - 8am?) to be a very long time not moving for a horse that is getting on. Can you try with increased turnout? Often they will settle to a new routine, they just need to be around others in the same routine, and perhaps out of sight of those being taken in.

The riding if she is slightly off, but still happy wouldn't worry me hugely, but I would look first to increasing her turnout - to 24/7 eventually if possible. Most horses will adjust if its done gradually ime.

Madam_max

Visit site
Thanks guys. I hacked her out on her own tday and wondered what all the fuss was about, she was so happy and crazy (like her normal self) and seemed so happy to be out and about. I will just carry on and make sure she's comfortable.