What would you do in my situation ?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
To save time, this question is aimed at middle aged rider/owners who have had horses for decades.

Bit of background first - I have not ridden for 18 months, I am fifty something, fat, windy and unfit. I have hunted for 20+ seasons and owned horses for 30+ years. I class myself as a competent novice rider, my bottle and fitness went in 2004 with the loss of 2 ID's in quick succession. I bought another horse that was just a bit too much for me, but I produced it and had a lot of fun with it being ridden in competition by a friend. That horse is now career ending injured and I have nothing to hack out.

I have 2 lovely yearlings, both of which will be suitable for me, but I will be nearly 60 when they come to and by then will not have ridden for 5 years.

On Sunday, on a depressed whim, I tried the most lovely irish HW (not show quality) cob mare, 16 hands and only 6 but a good old fashioned type, kind outlook, decent front and lots of bone. I rode her and she felt like a old pair of comfy slippers, not an anxious moment from me, yet this was a strange horse and i had not ridden for ages. She needs tuning on the flat and is not built to jump. Conformation is OK, there is some clyde in her which shows in the hock. She would more than fit my remit of hacking safely, bit of cubbing and if my bones would allow it, a pleasure ride. She is 5k, with good quality tack. I have no idea if that is the sort of price rock steady cobs fetch ? The last 2 horses I bought were £200 (see thread 'My next equine project) and my good horse at 9K so I am not qualified to comment on cob prices.

So my learned, aged horsey people I need to decide what to do ---

1. Not bother riding again for another 3 years and hope I am able mentally
and physically to get on the yearlings.

2. Give up totally, sell the babies, shoot my beautiful show horse and put
everything behind me.

3. Buy the cob, assuming the price is right at 5K, mess about on her for the
3 years I have to wait for the babies to mature.

4. Start trying to find more easy quiet cobs to view.

I know what I want to do, but my head is saying it is impossible to view one horse and it be perfect for me. On previous buying trips for made horses it has been a protracted business of utter frustration. The vendors of the cob are lovely genuine people, open with information and very concerned about where the mare will end up.

What do you guys think.

StormBlade

Visit site
Either 3 or 4 IMO :)

3 years is a long time to wait. (But do-able :) )
You can't possibly give up!

If you like this cob mare then go for it, I think she might be slightly overpriced, but if you feel confident on her, then thats all that matters :) If not, try and view a few more and see what takes your fancy :)

Thistle

Visit site
Firstly OP I think you may be my long lost twin!!!

Secondly if you have facilities for another and can afford it then go for it, although 5k does seem expensive. I always prefer my own tack anyway.

touchstone

Visit site
I think you already know the answer to this one. ;)

Personally I wouldn't want to wait 5 years before riding, riding will keep you fitter and more mobile and better for your health, especially if you are bringing on youngsters.

I'd buy the cob if you feel she's right and have the money, she'll be worth it to get out and enjoy your riding. :)

tristar

Visit site
AA, please don't give up, you are a really horsey person,! you might live to be 95, so what are you going to do for next 40 years!

if a horse comes your way that is 'perfect' grab it with both hands, and start to enjoy now, keep the babies as an investment for later, when rideable they can be sold, and maybe something good will happen about the show horse, or maybe not, also if money is not a problem what are you waiting for, the horse may be sold if you dither, but i would make an offer less than the asking price.

anyway good luck and hope you continue to enjoy riding for many years.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Buy the cob asap. My story is remarkably similar to yours and it sounds as though you feel very confident on the mare. Plus she is young, rock steady cobs are very very saleable and with your experience although she is not show quality you could take her out and do some local stuff. Although she's not built to jump she may well not have realised that and be very happy to go out and do some WH or RC Novice SJ and all of those things would put competition mileage on her and only increase her price should you actually want to sell her in three years time.

Buy the cob, buy the cob, buy the cob:D

Unless an even better one comes along:D:D:D:D

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I could put the advert number up but not sure if it's allowed or if it would offend the vendor if they saw it on here ?

WestCoast

Visit site
If you've been riding for 30 years and have found a horse that you instinctively love I would trust your instincts and buy her. In terms if price it's about what she is worth to you as much as anything - but you could always haggle a bit as it sounds like you would be an excellent home for her.

Not a riding expert but am a personal trainer (on the side not my day job) and I can tell you that at 50 if you don't ride for another 3 years you will struggle to regain fitness - so if you want to keep up with a youngster you need to keep using those muscles whatever you do.

One alternative is to find a 5* home for one of the yearlings and just keep the one to bring on.

Paula

guido16

Visit site
You can put the advert up, lots of people do and it's in the public forum already so shouldn't offend anyone.

P.s buy the cob!

Vetwrap

Visit site
Buy the cob. She felt right, you felt happy, confident and safe on her.

Don't give up - even for a short while. Buy the cob! (Haggle if you can!)

All the best
:)

Mongoose11

Visit site
BUY THE COB. Why wouldn't you? Hours of endless fun for the next five years, great resale price if she remains fit and healthy.

My mare (who is very much like the one you describe - even down to the Clydie legs) was advertised at £4250 as a 9 year old. I ended up calling even though that was way more than I wanted to pay. I did not want a coloured cob and she was the only one I called for within about a hundred calls, she was my 8th viewing.

I knew straight away that she was the one and I ended up paying £2700 for her.

I did contact the seller a few months down the line to say had I known then what I know now I would have paid £5000 for her in a heartbeat.

Go for the cob, sounds like it will do everything you want and put a smile on your face at the same time rather than a 'am I gonna die' kind of grimace that you can get with some horses that don't quite feel right!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'm 31 so not middle aged but will give an opinion anyway! Definitely 3 or 4. 5k does sound steep, but steady as a rock sorts do have a good value. You could look round at others, but if you add up the time & cost of viewings, possible failed vettings, travelling one home from ages away etc the difference might not be that great. If your budgets pretty tight then yes, maybe shop around. If you can afford it then really I'd go for it. Even if its over valued its not any more wasteful than any other of lifes luxuries.
I knew a lovely gentleman who after a lifetime of horses, bought in his early 70s, still hacking in his early 90s & only gave up because his old mare did, he said never having a long break from 60+ was why he was active so long.
I would haggle on the cob price though, never does any harm. But there's a big value to put on anything that you just trust immediately. And we need you healthy & well to write 'backing Ted' in a few years.

thehorsephotographer

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I'm in a very similar situation except I have had quite a break from riding because of a number of reasons.

I have just bought a 6 year old cob which I share with my sister (3 years younger than me but also similar to how you describe except she is a fit featherweight!). We also have another cob on loan who is 4 years old so we ride out together.

I'd buy the cob but having looked around for something quite similar I think it is rather overpriced. That said you can't put a price on your own safety and confidence so if money permits and you think it is the right horse for you then it has to be a consideration.

There is a company who bring on and sell "safe cobs" (the clue is in the name - not sure if I can mention/promote them on here although they've been mentioned in other threads before). If you have a look at their website by the same name and facebook page you will see what they do and offer. Their prices seem to range from £3250 through to around £5k and they grade them with a star rating.

Every day on their facebook page they show a video of their day/hacks with the cobs and you can see the level of safety training they do with them. Each horse for sale has it's own video too. Maybe before you settle on the £5k one it would be worth looking at something like their site for comparison purposes and maybe even go and try one or two of theirs out? They are somewhere close to Gatwick aiport I think.

Personally I would not wait the 3 years. I think during the interim period of riding something your confidence will grow and also as someone else mentioned you will retain your fitness. Having had a serious health problem I think it's important to live your life to the full whilst you can and that would be my advice - get yourself a new horse now and enjoy it to the full. I do think the cob may be overpriced/at the top end of what I would want to pay however.

rockysmum

Visit site
I'm in a similar position, same age group and confidence level.

My oldie is 36 and just retired, I can ride my daughters 22 year old (retired by her, show cob) but it doesn't suit me, I dont enjoy riding her.

I also have my daughters, now largely unwanted, warmblood, which is too much for my old bones and confidence level.

If I could find something which I enjoyed, like I enjoyed my old boy, and I could afford it, I would snap their hands off.

The price does sound a bit high, but how much might you spend keeping something you dont enjoy. I am currently paying for three I dont ride. 6 months keep for my three would buy your cob :D

Who knows what might happen in the next few years, go for it while you still have your heath and enthusiasm.

pookie

Visit site
As everyone else :D Buy the cob, haggle if you can but 5k for safety and enjoyment is a small price to pay. She sounds a lovely sort.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Buy the cob, definitely buy the cob. Unfortunately though these totally safe creatures are coming at a premium these days. My cob is a very well schooled, responsive ride who even enjoys his jumping and loves doing dressage and I've had regular requests to sell him over the years. I never would, but one of those offers was way above your cobs £5k asking price, and when I said the girl must be mad to offer so much, she told me she couldn't put a price on feeling safe and comfortable and knowing the horse would always look after his rider.

I still turned her down because I couldn't ever sell him but I most certainly did not tell my hubby about her offer! ;)

These types are much sought after, so should you find she wasn't for you later on you'd have a very easy sell on your hands, especially if you put in some schooling. I'd go for it. :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
HQuest 53822.

You lot talk sense !!

I think I am feeling a bit down really, not me at all !. Even though I have not ridden my own horse much, being the proud owner ringside, was enough for me. I always knew he would be my hack when he finished after Hoy's but had not factored in the massive injury he had in 2011.

I have nursed him through 50 weeks of box rest, still happy not to ride because, in my head, I still had a horse when he mended. I was told last week he is finished totally, the scar tissue is breaking down and even retirement is a challenge, he could easily blow the ligament again.

I now feel I want to hack out and enjoy an 'easy' horse, I also know I may be facing decisions with the big horse in the not too distance future and would like to have a distraction in the form of a rideable horse to help me keep going.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Give up or buy the cob I think. Have more trials with the Cob, can you take her on a Pleasure Ride, with the owners going as well, so you can see how she loads and behaves in compay, etc. Or to a show, ditto.

It is quite a lot of money, but there are so many horses around that do not fit the bill.

I am in my late 50s and have the same horse for the past 12 years, he is now 14 and I wonder what is going to happen. It is difficult when you get to this age as you really do not want a "project" horse or anything difficult or unpredictable.

hayinamanger

Visit site
AA 5 years is way too long to wait, and the babies may not suit you when the time comes. I spent years trying to breed my perfect horse, got there in the end, but riding some of those big horses gradually chipped away at my nerve and I am now a real coward and I HATE it because I have a good horse and I cannot enjoy him as I should.

So, yes, if she made you feel safe, then buy her (for less £) but if you do, my advise is to have some support at home sorted out. Horses are different in new places (as you of course know) and if you have someone who can just get on her the first few days, it would give you more confidence.

The very best of luck!

Ibblebibble

Visit site
if you don't buy the cob you'll be added on to the number 2 option;):p
if you can get on a strange horse and feel like you're at home then buy it!!
I'm a big believer in fate,if an absolute diamond of a horse comes along when you're not even really looking then theres a damn good chance it's 'meant to be' so go buy the cob and then we can see lots of pics:D

hayinamanger

Visit site
She looks and sounds perfect. You could always arrange a second viewing and do a bit more with her before that final decision.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
AA I'd edit that out pdq, you wouldn't be the first person to lose a really good horse after alerting people to it's advert on here. She's exactly what my sister would be looking for if she were ready to buy just now.

Sunshine

Visit site
Oh AdorableAlice, we are in such similar circumstances. My old lad retired due to his difficult attitude when I had my daughter and felt I couldn't risk leaving her without a mum. Now she is riding independently and I am no longer needed on the ground to offer support etc I have been really missing riding and want to get another. I have also seen a lovely big young connie mare and am desperate to go and try her, so have agreed to meet at the connie breed show :) but she is a little cheaper than the £5k yours is asking.
My hubby always says that life's too short - you never know what tomorrow will bring so there's no point in worrying. If you can afford to buy another then do so.
And the way we've always looked at it when buying daughter's ponies - the price you pay for them is the price you put on the fun/entertainment/memories you will gain, any subsequent sale price you get is a bonus :)

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
if you don't buy the cob you'll be added on to the number 2 option;):p
if you can get on a strange horse and feel like you're at home then buy it!!
I'm a big believer in fate,if an absolute diamond of a horse comes along when you're not even really looking then theres a damn good chance it's 'meant to be' so go buy the cob and then we can see lots of pics:D

^^This. I think life's too short not to seize an opportunity that presents itself. If this cob is genuine then why not. I am not good on pricing, sounds a bit high, but if it is the sort of horse you want and it will have the temperament you want and will allow you the fun and enjoyment you deserve then it's priceless really.

ETA just seen the ad, she does look a nice sort. I do think the price might be high (but what do I know) but if she is as good as the ad says, she's got to be worth a second visit. A good, safe horse that will give you a lot of enjoyment is worth its weight in gold.

Last edited: