What would you do? (Jumping Q)

druid

Visit site
Took Sparks jumping yesterday - she stomped around the warm up in stallion mode, rattling her curb chain. She purposely kicked out the back bar on a 1.10m parallel 4 times in succesion in the warm up. Got into the ring and she told me in no uncertain terms to sod off. Proceeded to do a lovely flowing round but kicked out several poles having given them easily a foot. Her back is NOT sore, it has been checked by two people (Physio and McTimmony). Her tack hasn't changed at all. She's been getting antsy over jumping for the last 2/3 weeks. I don't over jump her by any means, we would pop a log 1/2 times a week on a hack and jump in the school 2 times max. a month. I'm dithering over stopping jumping altogetehr until hunting proper starts up. What would you do?

amage

Visit site
sounds like she's being a madam !! though we have one who kicks back if you move your leg back even slightly. doesn't matter if its a meter or 1.45, move your leg back slightly and he kicks back

spike123

Visit site
Just a thought but with all this hard ground could she be feeling it in her feet.If her feet are just slightly sore jumping will hurt and that may be the cause of this changing behaviour.You could try having pads put in under her shoes and see if this helps.

druid

Visit site
Oh, shall try a few poles tomorrow and check I'm not moving my leg back - I could well be! Thanks!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
My friends horse kicks out when feeling fresh or is in a show off mood. I guess going bigger or smaller makes no difference? I would probably think she is just feeling well and a bit full of it.

druid

Visit site
She hasn't been ridden much so is a bit fresh but she felt rather stuffy rather thanm forward. Hey ho, taking her "stubbling" over hedges tomorrow - will see how she feels!