What would you do?! Older horse with problems.

georgie0

Visit site
Situation is as follows. I have a beloved horse who is now 20. I have owned him for 2 years. In the past he damaged his check ligament badly and in feb damaged his superficial flexor tendon on the same leg. He had been out of work for 2 years when I got him and was bought back into fitness very slowly over a year. The tendon went just out hacking. He is about 2/10ths lame, but has never been entirely sound since I've had him. He has an issue with iodine levels and has a goitre. He also has COPD and colics sometimes.

SO...he is on a livery yard. He would hate to be in a field by himself again. I don't think he will ever be ridden as I don't think his leg will take it. I am seriously thinking maybe it is time to PTS. I am rapidly running out of money and cannot afford to have him boxrested/scanned etc again. What would you do in my position?!

Please be nice, I love this horse to bits and all I am after peoples viewpoints.

sport horse

Visit site
I think you have nearly made the right decision. Hard but the right one. If he is living out why not give him the last month or so of nice weather and then let him go? Good luck this is the hard side of animal ownership.

georgie0

Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I think it is made worse because at the yard he is on there are a few old horses who are kept as pets. I know it is such an individual thing but it makes me feel awful even to think of it. He is also happy. He seems very content and it breaks my heart! But then he trots across the field and he is definitely lame.

touchstone

Visit site
In your position I wouldn't do box rest or scanning but would consider retirement if the horse can be kept comfortable on low dose bute, tendon injuries take a long time to heal so there is a small chance he could improve in time, but in combination with his other issues I'd honestly think about letting him go.

be positive

Visit site
I wouldn't expect a 20 year old to be fully recovered from a tendon injury yet and it may well never come 100% right, box resting will do nothing at this stage and scanning will only tell you how far it has healed, or not healed, if he were mine I would turn him away 24/7 for the next few months and make a decision based on how he was after that but I have my own land and can keep a retired horse at minimal expense, if money is causing you to have problems even keeping him on basic livery or grass livery or you cannot find anywhere he can stay out 24/7 then you have to consider your own circumstances and letting him go may be kinder all round.

Just because other people choose to keep pets is no reason to feel guilty if you cannot or he cannot be kept the same way, it has to be your decision not anyone elses.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Other than finances you'd be happy if he was out with others? And as far as you can tell he is happy too?

Either pop out with the oldie pets at current yard or on (cheaper?) retirement livery somewhere?

Honestly if you bought an unfit 18yr old you're probably not looking to ride very competitively so you should be able to find a free/cheap share to keep the ridden side of horses going for you.

georgie0

Visit site
He was gifted to me Thursday from a friend of my parents as I used to ride him years ago. I actually work with hunters so get my adrenaline buzz from them. There is no 24/7 turnout at current yard, they have to be in at night fairly soon. I can't find anywhere that does grass livery only around here and if I rent a field then I have to have another as a companion. It is a nightmare. Utter nightmare. I cannot afford him in this winter at current yard, especially as he is on shavings / haylage, and I can't find grazing. If it was JUST the tendon then I wouldn't be as concerned, it is with everything else and alongside the previous injury. Plus as I said I'm not convinced he was ever particularly sound to start with.

sarahann1

Visit site
Phone the vet and ask them to come out and asses him re his lameness etc and the prospect of winter coming, they'll help keep you right one way or the other.

This decision isn't an easy one to make, you have my sympathies.

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm not sure what help the vet would be, they can always find a reason for keeping a horse going.
I would let him go now, while he is well and bright eyed and liking life, if I were you.

Farcical1

Visit site
I have two old ones as pets, but that doesn't mean I think everyone else has to have one! If he's not sound and he's draining you financially then it is not a bad thing to consider PTS.
Horses are expensive and sometimes finances play a part in our decisions. If he's lame, then by definition something is wrong somewhere. I'd have a good chat with the vet about his prognosis, and then make the decision.

It's never easy but they deserve no less.

Charlie007

Visit site
My 20 year old, whom did a check ligament and has another dodgy front leg, is happily retired in the field. He gets looked after like he did when he was ridden. He however doesn't have any other problems. He will be with me until he tells me it's time. I have had him twelve years.

corbleu

Visit site
Truthfully you know him best. It sounds as though you've already looked at options to balance keeping him happy and balancing your finances and that there is no meet in the middle. By all means have a discussion with your vet especially if they're a pragmatic sort but in the circumstances I think a few weeks of being spoilt rotten and a peaceful end with those who love him is by no means a bad thing. It shows a great love and respect for him that you can put him first. Huge hugs, never an easy decision but as we've seen time and again even just on here better a week early than a day late

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
No-one would look down on you for PTS. It is a reasonable decision by the sounds of the circumstances, there is likely to be arthritis in there as well, which will worsen with cold weather. I think sometimes it's easy to forget as well that lameness is pain, not matter how mildy lame, he is in constant pain.

Hugs and well wishes, this is the hardest part of horse ownership

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
This horse sounds like a real sweetie, you seem to have known him for a long time, and now he's come back to you........ it does sound like (forgive me if I'm wrong) that the owners have relinquished the responsibility of the "what next" decision to you as possibly they were hesitant to do so themselves??

Whatever, he is yours now: and all of us on here can empathise intensely with your situation. Personally I'm very likely to be in a similar situation very soon with my old girl, as the winter closes in :(

It is never ever easy, but as someone else has said, lameness indicates pain going on somewhere. It is all too easy for vets to prolong the inevitable and in so doing cost the owner a fortune, when really the kindest thing to do oft-times is to let an old friend go with peace and dignity.

Yes, it is very true: better a week too soon than a day too late.

So so sorry.

georgie0

Visit site
MI yes you are right, I must admit I feel a bit angry with his old owner. I like her very much and she is an old family friend but I almost feel like this should have been her decision not mine. She also didn't tell me about his previous check ligament injury which I was a bit peeved about. He is wonderful, the gentlest person ever, but he IS lame and I think there could be something else going on as well as sometimes he can be lame in both front legs. Nothing huge but definitely not right. Also when he was in work he did used to trip alot and I did wonder about Navicular (or what ever it is called these days!).

You have all been brilliant, thank you.

DD265

Visit site
I'm in the same boat except I can afford the livery - if being unable to clear credit card debt/save for a wedding and deposit counts as affordable. Like you, I can't provide the kind of retirement I would like to but D is happy enough in his current routine. The difference is, I don't feel awful when I think about PTS because I have distanced myself. I kind of feel guilty for not feeling awful though and I worry that I would be PTS for the wrong reasons and that I might regret it. All of this is leading to me constantly changing my mind.

I'm trying to take it day by day right now; I thought he looked ungainly tonight when he got up from rolling in the arena, and that his back end looked really stiff (he's on bute) but he was so happy to walk out and graze down the bridleway. He really strode out and trotted up the road to the track. Even threatened to p*ss off when I turned him for home.

I've set some hard limits whereby if we get to that point it's a done deal; if he starts struggling to get up or down, or if we get to the point where I feel like he has to wear knee boots to be walked out. If he goes off his food, or we can't maintain his weight. If he loses his spark or if we feel the need to increase beyond 2x Bute a day. In the mean time I feel like I'm delaying the inevitable, but he's so himself still.

As awful as it sounds, it would be a huge relief for me if he had a heart attack in the field or just didn't wake up one day in his stable. I'd be devastated but... :(

georgie0

Visit site
Just wanted to update....

This isn't the update I expected to give you all but I am so happy I am actually crying. I had booked Max in to be put down next Friday having exhausted all avenues. I have just received a message completely out of the blue from a farmer I know who has asked if I am interested in renting a field, £10 a week including water and to be shared with another horse. He has a reprieve for a few months, I will bute him as necessary and chuck him out. He is looking so well I think this is the right thing to do.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
That's great. I was going to suggest looking around for something like that. I'm sure he;ll be happy out grazing with a friend.

be positive

Visit site
Just wanted to update....

This isn't the update I expected to give you all but I am so happy I am actually crying. I had booked Max in to be put down next Friday having exhausted all avenues. I have just received a message completely out of the blue from a farmer I know who has asked if I am interested in renting a field, £10 a week including water and to be shared with another horse. He has a reprieve for a few months, I will bute him as necessary and chuck him out. He is looking so well I think this is the right thing to do.

That sounds like the ideal solution, it may be enough to allow the tendon to heal fully and if not it does mean you can make the decision without feeling rushed or influenced by other people knowing you have done everything possible to give him a chance, hope it works out and he can enjoy his retirement.