What would you do? RE: EHV1 Virus

naza

Visit site
Need some advice from others RE EHV1 virus, i'm meant to be competing at Hartpury this weekend for the Riding Club Championships but am currently in two minds about going.
Firstly, I thought that it must be fine to go as surely if Hartpury saw any risk in it they would cancel the event?
But then I worry that theres 5 hours between my classes and that's a long time to be waiting with a potential virus around and also with the vet checking every horse when they come in, surely that will increase risk of spreading the virus?

So I just wondered whats others views were on it really, whether i'm over reacting or not.
Would it be worth speaking to my vet? Or are they simply going to tell me about how its spread and the symptoms?

Crackerz

Visit site
Most places are cancelling, really surprised Hartpury haven't!!!

Badgeworth (in Somerset) have postponed their NPS show on Friday, and my Riding Club clinic (based in Wiltshire) is cancelled on Saturday.

I was still going to go to Badgeworth if it was on, but a lot of the outbreaks are in Glos, so closer to Hartpury, so I'm surprised they haven't postponed

PC Steele

Visit site
Don't go!!!!! It is definitely not worth the risk!!!! It's also irresponsible in my opinion. I wouldn't risk my horse for a poxy rosette, qualification or whatever:)

Rebels

Visit site
Even the little show jumping near us is cancelling as they don't want to risk the dressage yard attached to the venue. Chances are most people will pull out anyway.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If dee is at home and no other horses are brought in (without quarantine) how would she catch it though? but I can understand being careful re the preggers bit- but most of us dont have preggers mares.

Naza I can understand your concern, hartpury is much closer to down my way which is where I have been more surprised at peoples reactions given the distance we are away. Can also understand centers being a bit more careful when they have animals on site that aren't easily isolated from those competing.

kirstie

Visit site
I definitely wouldn't go. Would you forgive yourself if you went and your horse contracted it? Not worth the risk.

Delicious_D

Visit site
If dee is at home and no other horses are brought in (without quarantine) how would she catch it though? but I can understand being careful re the preggers bit- but most of us dont have preggers mares.

Naza I can understand your concern, hartpury is much closer to down my way which is where I have been more surprised at peoples reactions given the distance we are away. Can also understand centers being a bit more careful when they have animals on site that aren't easily isolated from those competing.

The YO runs a Horsebox business from the yard.

Nicnac

Visit site
The YO runs a Horsebox business from the yard.

But no horses come in or out and the horsebox business is far away from the yard. Can it be carried in a horsebox? :confused:

Understand why you are vaccinating in view of pregnancy.

Is everything cancelling or just in west country? I know my trainer has pulled out of Addington as deems it too risky.

Delicious_D

Visit site
NicNac i think its airborn. But as he goes onto other yard and pregnancy im vaccinating. If dee wasnt pregnant (or planning too) i wouldnt :).

ETA - im not aware of anything cancelling in this area.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'm generally surprised at the (IMO) over reaction tbh

I'm generally surprised at the lack of reaction over there tbh.

We had it over here at HITS Ocala in Florida and all horse stable tents where horses with question marks hanging over their heads, were quarantined, as were many farms in that area. It has reared itself in a number of other States with quarantining going on like crazy, and almost all commercial equine shippers cancelled their runs and shut up their layover barns. Interesting how its dealt with differently in different countries.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
it can be airbourne but not that far (ie not like FMD) and will hang around on equipment a bit so you'd want to be disinfecting a horsebox but should be anyway :). D_D as I said I understand the preggers (hopefully :) ) bit.

ETA yes the difference is interesting SF, I wonder if its because people travel generally further in the US to compete and therefore can take it back to their respective states further afield? Just a pondering.

Delicious_D

Visit site
*fingers crossed*

One thing worrying breeders over here is abortiion storms (where one mare int he herd aborts and they all abort) :(

Spring Feather

Visit site
ETA yes the difference is interesting SF, I wonder if its because people travel generally further in the US to compete and therefore can take it back to their respective states further afield? Just a pondering.

Possibly. It is quarantinable (if there is such a word lol) and all States will quarantine any and all stables where EHV has been diagnosed. It's such a short quarantine that for the most part it probably doesn't overly affect anyone.

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
I think lockdown is the only way to contain the current outbreak.

It can't be some, it needs to be all or no-one.

If half the people keep travelling, it will spread round soon enough.

Shut down shows etc for a month, get it contained, start up again. Why risk it?

Yes there's always a risk but it's staring us in the face and people want to walk right into the thick of it!

I'm not judging anyone who does or doesn't go to blue chip, wales, poys, rc champs, dressage champs etc because if the venues are running people are going to go. The organisations need to grow some and take a hold of the situation!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
TBH, anyone with any responsible bones in their body should be staying away and any competitions should be cancelled because this is becoming very serious now.
If someone like Carl Hester can pull Uthopia out on the grounds of safety why should Joe Public be any different.

Delicious_D

Visit site
TBH, anyone with any responsible bones in their body should be staying away and any competitions should be cancelled because this is becoming very serious now.
If someone like Carl Hester can pull Uthopia out on the grounds of safety why should Joe Public be any different.

Here here.

Nicnac

Visit site
Can't see the Grand National being cancelled.

The HBLB code of practice states:

Freedom from Disease
EHV is, to a certain extent, endemic among the horse population in the UK. Total freedom from disease can never be confirmed and vigilance is therefore important in the management of breeding stock, particularly pregnant mares.

It was found in a racing yard in Somerset last November and 3 hunts cancelled for a week but then it all went very quiet until it resurfaced recently.

Was there a case confirmed in Aberdeenshire earlier this week or was it just rumour?

Britestar

Visit site
Aberdeenshire not a rumour. Confirmed. The horse had competed at myerscough premier league. Left 10th March and travelled home. Yard have been totally open about it. Told everyone they have been on contact with.

naza

Visit site
http://www.aht.org.uk/icc/linksicc.html

reports of the cases FYI

And an over reaction? ignorance is how it spreads I would cope with disappointment not going to win a rosette...I wouldnt cope losing my horses.

Top riders have pulled out...just follow their example and aim for next year!!!!

but if you look on that link there were quite a few cases back in November last year, and as someone else said on here (may have been the other EHV1 virus thread) that its a virus that is alsways around, just this time people have been made more aware of it :?

naza

Visit site
My mistake they weren't all from EHV1 but still on that site there shows to be numerous cases, ones that I (and i presume many others) had never heard about and they were around my area.

Daytona

Visit site
Aberdeen yards are starting lock down , mine including

I just had to can to cancel two lessons thur/fri and BE training day on sat , bummer but better than my horse being sick

No way would I be going.

Any responsible person will stay home as someone said is it work the risk for a rosy.?? Money or a qual..?? Really is it..?

There is always next time as they say.

Stay at home