What would you do with this area?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think pea gravel would be a dig up and resurface job... (and expensive). As would road planings (less expensive). That's fine and may be the longer term plan. I am also and considering a smaller pea gravel "sand pit" in another area away from where it could spill over onto concrete. And if it caused problems with feet it could be re-purposed into the front garden/driveway!

What I really want is some kind if none freeze, none slip poured rubber composite over the whole area. Unfortunately I'm not a millionaire. ?

The bit we pressure washed yesterday actually seems worse for stones today! So might not do more. Might try a leaf blower to see if just trying to blast the looser stones and grit off the surface helps.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
It would cost a few thousand to concrete over top I would be happy to leave as is. Some people would give their right eye for an area like this.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm not unappreciative of it for goodness sake! Can't seem to post anything without being got at the moment! I'm having a real problem with the stones and grit on it and just asking if anyone can think of a good way to improve it. That's all.

paddy555

Visit site
The bit we pressure washed yesterday actually seems worse for stones today! So might not do more. Might try a leaf blower to see if just trying to blast the looser stones and grit off the surface helps.

the more you try and do the more you will disrupt the surface. If gravel in the WL is the problem then correct the trim and feet, it is the feet not the yard. My yard is very similar to that. Perfect for wandering BF horses in winter. If you put pea gravel down it will be a sod to clean up droppings if you let them wander in there.

I deliberately set out to create what you are trying to get rid of :D:D:D:D

sport horse

Visit site
Anything you put on top in the way of a 'loose' surface will be a nightmare to keep clean. (Imagine picking up s..t from amongst gravel?) I know because we went through this with horsewalker surfaces over many years. I have in turn shovelled out by hand sand, wood chips etc etc. We finally concreted and eventually rubber paviours. I would try to manage with it as it is and concrete when you can afford it.

Lintel

Visit site
I put down woodfibre from Jenkinsons.
It was put down on hardcore/stony rough area and it has been great the past three years, it's needing a top up now right enough but their feet are both great, it's great to poo pick. They are both greedy fatties and certainly don't eat it... that hadn't even crossed my mind tbh.
It's also not slippy contrary to popular belief, or mine certainly isn't.

Also cheap and cheerful??

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Weird when threads get bumped but actually an update. They are just living on it right now as the weather has been very wet and all my field access points have suffered too much. So it's hay on the hardstanding at the moment. Seems to be working OK so far, touch wood. Stones in white lines have become less of an issue too so I guess their feet are improving. Still getting the odd one or two but not having to dig them out twice a day. So this area will be being left as it is for now and the surfaces budget is hopefully going to be spent on field access points!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I think I'd be too worried about the wrong kind of wood in woodchip. And fat ponies eating it. Plus read that it does bad things to hooves.

I know I'm being negative, sorry. It's why I asked though. ? Everything I think off I end up going "no".

Oh yes, we're barefoot and sensible here. Sensible enough anyway. If they had shoes on I wouldn't have them on it either! The benefit of it being a bit stoney is that they are taking their time over it... but I don't like watching them pick their way over it either!

Will Scoot Boots fit them?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
They wear Scoot boots for working but they are getting more confident on the stones now anyway so don't feel the need to turn them out in boots.