what would you do?

landyandy

Visit site
i have an oldish mare(19 next week) who is prone to laminitis, i have her turned out during the day and stabled at night,my grazing is not very good.
well this morning she came into season,and as got the the hots for the gelding in the next paddock, she as a gelding for company both in stable and field.
well for some reason she wants to be with the other gelding.
she was going frantic in stable tonight, as the gelding she as the hots for is turned out 24/7.
eventually i turned my mare and gelding back out.
she now seems happier, but i am worried with her been prone to lami.
would you leave her out,or go back and bring them in?

spike123

Visit site
Could you put up some electric fencing as a way to stop her flirting over the fence with him? if so this should put a stop to her flirting and things should be able to go back to normal. I know not alot when it comes to Laminitis so not the best person to advise but if you have not alot of grass I would guess that it probably won't harm her to be out but if there is some grass out there then chances are there is new growth which is bad news for any laminitic so I would keep her in regardless of her flirtiness.

landyandy

Visit site
i already have electric fence up between them, but she is still flirting.
i am worried she will hurt herself in stable, as she was going frantic, not to mention she would probally keep the whole village awake screaming for him

Dizzyblonde99

Visit site
We have a lami prone in the same field but in a restridted area (with access to water) he's out old the time and is also 19 soon, hes coming though a litttle chubby but other wise fine!

kellyeaton

Visit site
maybe give her a calmer whilst she is in season and put her out all night but in a starvy paddock so she can not eat a lot but safer her being out then beening in the stable and hurting her self!

landyandy

Visit site
well she stayed out, and when i went to check them this morning, she was stood at the fence still looking at the gelding, so fingers crossed she was stood there all night.
can't understand why she does not like my gelding,he is a classy coloured.
bless him he was stood behind her this morning,probally saying, what about me