What would you do?

Kelly1982

Visit site
As some of you know things have got a bit funny down my yard lately with people being really petty, locking their stuff away and still using ours etc. Also at the weekend we were all going Olympia, there were 10 people and 2 cars so enough room for us all to fit but me & my friend were told there was no room so we ended up getting the train, anyway thats another story.

The said people used to have jumps in the sand school that we all used until one day they decided to take them up as they said me & my friend broke some poles and we would have to replace them
confused.gif
I certainly never and my friend said she never and i was the last person to ride the night before they were taken away and all jumps were in tact (i didn't jump that night btw). Anyway thats down to them, if they dont want their jumps ruined then fair enough. They said that they would only bring the jumps down for their kids to use so me and my friend brought our own.

Thing is do we leave the jumps down there and let their kids use them every day knowing they accused us of braking the jumps or do we chain them up??

We dont want any more of an atmosphere than there already is so was thinking of just rising above it and let them use them for less hassle but on the other hand why should they lock all their stuff away but still feel free to use ours. They lock all their grooming kits, wheelbarrows, brooms etc away but everyday me and my friend find our stuff in their stables. Just last night half my grooming kit was in one of the ponies stables.

So what would you do?? Rise above it or play them at their own game.

icestationzebra

Visit site
I would ask them why they locked their things up but felt it was perfectly acceptable to use mine without permission. Ask a direct question and you might get a direct answer.... or if they are really as miserable and pathetic as they sound they may look awkwardly at their feet, mumble something and shuffle away. Make them feel uncomfortable - the clearly don't have a problem doing it to you!

miamibear

Visit site
Chain them up and have a quiet word with said people that if they wish to borrow your things they should ask before taking. I certainly would blow a gasket if anyone else used my grooming kit - its for my horse and disease / lice etc spread.

I wouldnt want an atmosphere thats why i would explain why i was doing so, may just make them realise how stupid they are being!!

xx

Kelly1982

Visit site
I have said things to them before like when i got down to find one of the kids ponies with my horses bit in its mouth and my hat on her head!! I said 'dont you buy your kids anything, i mighty of wanted to ride tonight' and the women just laughed it off and told her daughter to ask next time but they stil dont!!

My friend has also had a moan as well as she has mysteriously lost about 5 whips but they adults claim its not their kids.

I really do wanna lock them up but i dont know if it is worth it as it may make matters worse.

Vicki1986

Visit site
my god kelly what yard are you on?? please tell me so i know not to go there!!!!! sorry, but im really anal about people 'borrowing' my stuff. luckily we put all ours away but dont have to [touch wood] lock it up as everyone is really respectful of other peoples belongings at our place, which i think is quite good bearing in mind there are about 30 or so of us

BBs

Visit site
They obviously have no respect for your stuff if they are just go and borrow bits and riding hats
shocked.gif

Then in which case i would lock everything away also

Kelly1982

Visit site
Thing is i really dont mind people borrowing my stuff as long as they put it back or if its tack etc then ask me before hand in case i am riding. And also if they loose or brake it then it is replaced.

What annoys me though is they lock all their stuff away but use ours still. Its mainly grooming kit that goes missing for weeks and then ends up in their stables.

One of my brushes had my old ponies name on it, when i said that it was mine they tried to claim it wasn't and that it was theirs
shocked.gif

Its all minor stuff really thats been happening over the past year so has never really bothered me before and i have let it go but its just been the last few months its got worse with them locking their stuff away etc.

izzyxxx

Visit site
my last yard was like that but it was the yard owner that was doing it my lunging whip went missing he son was using it to round up sheep! my head collor went missing ( i have now moved yards) 3 months down the line we poped in to see if it had turned up yep in her stable! i was also acussed of breaking jumps when i don't jump!!!!!! i would lock them up personally because i don't mind peeps using my stuff at my new yard because we share but always put it back with makes everything much easyer !!!!

Alibear

Visit site
OK reading between the lines , they've locked all their stuff away and can't be bothered to keep unlocking it to use then putting away and locking up so instead they now borrow your stuff?

Seriously just invest in a couple of trunks and lock your stuff up , it's fair and shouldn't cause any problems at all as they plain shouldn't be using you stuff.

Well that's what I would do and is what I have done in the past.

Vicki1986

Visit site
either........
a-as alibabe said lock your stuff up. every single last thing.
b-move yards (come to sg
laugh.gif
)

this 'borrowing' does go on at a lot of yards but doesnt at all of them. and the attitude that goes with it is just bad news. every yard has a negative point and for this yard this issue might be it....decide how important / just how annoying it is to you and if its making u unhappy/annoying you then leave. if its the whole yards mentality theres no point saying anything as they wont change!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
We are looking into moving but obvioulsy looking has gone on hold for Christmas and its also hard to find somewhere with 3 vacancies.

Its probably not as bad as its sounds as apart from brushes etc going missing the bigger stuff doesn't happen all the time but there is an atmosphere, its just all these little petty things add up and then the most minor things p*ss you off LOL.

I also keep a bucket by my feed bins for the water for my feeds. I have to come down and scrub it out everyday as the kids keep putting there muddy feet on and in it when they sit on the feed bins. I have aksed them twice not to do it in front of their mums but i get ignored. Now this is probably the most petty thing ever to get annoyed about but coz of all the other stuff it just gets you down. I have started putting that away now too.

Thing is i dont want to be like them and start locking things away etc and want to rise above it but the other part of me says (the childish part ha ah) if they can treat me like that then why should i??

Kelly1982

Visit site
Jumps are a bit harder to lock away though and i dont want to cause an even worse atmosphere by them thinking that WE are being petty as locking jumps away is not something you would usually do so its a bit obvious we are being funny.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
I really wouldn't feel petty in this instance for locking your own stuff up. They are the ones who "started" the pettiness and really cannot complain if your stuff is locked away- they shouldn't even be aware that it is locked up in a trunk or locker because they shouldn't be trying to use it in the first place!

This would really make me mad and I know you think it's silly to be upset over "little" things like brushes and buckets, but it isn't when there is a lot of these little things happening again and again on a regular basis- eventually it gets too much and you have to say "enough is enough".

Seriously, lock your stuff away and if any of them have the cheek to say something, have a well rehearsed, calm and polite speech ready to tell them exactly why you have done it! They're either selfish or stupid (possibly both?!) and you have nothing to feel bad about!

Good luck with the new yard hunt!
wink.gif

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have said things to them before like when i got down to find one of the kids ponies with my horses bit in its mouth and my hat on her head!! I said 'dont you buy your kids anything, i mighty of wanted to ride tonight' and the women just laughed it off and told her daughter to ask next time but they stil dont!!

[/ QUOTE ] I think this might be part of the problem - rather than making a joke of it you have to be more direct. You can still be civil and polite but say something like "Please don't use my stuff again without asking my permission."

bandit

Visit site
Oh mate -

Lock all your small bits away - including hat / tack etc... and frankly they are so silly and unaware, they probably don't think themselves as petty so if you did hte same, they wouldn't be smart enough to think you are petty too!

however the best solution (bar Rambo's) is to leave....

B

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OK reading between the lines , they've locked all their stuff away and can't be bothered to keep unlocking it to use then putting away and locking up so instead they now borrow your stuff?

[/ QUOTE ] I think that is spot on lock it away for that reason only.
grin.gif
You'd be doing them a fav they might start using there own stuff, what bad habit those kids might loose. and the problem would be sorted, and you wouldn't have anything to complain about. Short of this move yards asap!
grin.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Tack & equipment is expensive, I would certainly consider locking your stuff up when you're not there.

As for people taking & using bits & a riding hat you must stop them doing this. By not doing anything you are virtually condoning their actions. Lock up your stuff & then they will 100% know that you will not allow their conduct to continue.

Also think about moving yards, I wouldn't like to be on a yard where so little respect is shown for other peoples belongings.
frown.gif