What would you do...?

Meandtheboys

Visit site
I have a lovely homebred 6yr old who is ready to move up to 90cm / 1m classes but I have lost my nerve, its now 3 yrs ago I was jumping 1.10/1.15 classes but since losing my other horse I have just being doing smaller classes with my youngster with a bit of showing and dressage.
I am desperate to jump the 1m classes so what would you do in my shoes:

1. Go out and buy a more experienced horse, something jumping foxhunters ( although I am not interested in jumping that level but my logic is that it should easily take me around a smaller course )
2. Look at a potential loan horse for a couple of years ( local horse ), although 17yrs old fit and healthy and won 2 x classes last weekend
3. Spend my money on more lessons and don't be impatient

If I select no.1 I would have to sell my homebred Irish 2yr old, but option 2 is still financially viable so my 2yr old would stay.

so confused...............

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
2 and poss instead of 3 get the 6 year old more experience by finding someone else to jump her for you, paid or otherwise as you might be more confident if she gets a bit more mileage at that level?

PorkChop

Visit site
If you love the 6 year old, then I would have loads of lessons and get your instructor to ride him in the bigger classes until he is more established.

As someone who has bred a few over the years I think homebred's are worth hanging on to, and you would maybe regret it if you sold either of them.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
2 and poss instead of 3 get the 6 year old more experience by finding someone else to jump her for you, paid or otherwise as you might be more confident if she gets a bit more mileage at that level?

Thank - You I never though of getting someone else to ride him, going to watch the loan horse next weekend competing and try and make a decision.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
LJR - 6yr old will never be sold< on reflection I think the problem is his canter not jump - he never stops. I am so used to a fizzy type horse and H does not feel forward enough, I take a pull and we loose our canter.

Pigeon

Visit site
I know you can get lessons on dressage schoolmasters, but what about jumping ones? Might be worth looking into - if you build your confidence on a been-there-done-that kind of horse, it might transfer through to the youngster.

ajf

Visit site
I would be another to say stick with your 6yo.

He is only 6 and you say the canter may be a problem, so I would suggest getting a block of lessons booked, say every week for 6 weeks or so. Try and get a few at show center's towards the end where the instructor can teach you around the course (i.e. telling you to kick more etc etc in the right place).

This takes away the 'competition' pressure and atmosphere but you can work towards bigger courses and do bigger courses to give you both confidence and experience.

Good luck :)