what would you do?

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Ok . I have noticed for some time that my neighbour hasn't been looking after her horse very well. First she stopped riding it all together. She asked me if I could ride him for her - I having time on my hands at the time happily agreed. So I rode him out, jumped and schooled him for her. He was a lovely willing little chappy. Anyway. I politely gave her notice to the fact that I now have 5 horses of my own to look after so finding time for him would be difficult. I was very polite and gave her written notice. She was very angry at this. Anyway, I assumed she would find someone else. This was a year ago. The horse hasn't been ridden at all. She took it out for a whole day hunting after having not ridden it and then asked me for advice about a tendon injury it got after the day. I said to call a vet. She didn't. She went to the effort of bandaging it but just left him in the field. Didn't change the bandage or attend his wounds or anything. I walked past the other day and saw him standing in the field looking really miserable, rotten bandage soaked with blood. Field had ragwort in it as she hadn't attended it. I went in the field and dug the ragwort up. Half of the fencing had come down as well. I rang her up and said her horse looked quite bad and she should see to him. She said she would. That was four days ago. He's still the same. I also noticed the water trough was stagnant and not working properly. I mean whats the point? He could be ina really bad way. I'm in half of a mind to say I'll look after him again because he is in such a bad way and it breaks my heart. He also seems to be suffering from terrible bites and sweet itch and looks like he hasn't seen the farrier in a while.
frown.gif
frown.gif

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
talked it through with my OH this evening - he says that if I think he's really suffering I should call ILPH otherwise there's nothing I can do other than try to talk to her again..

serena2005

Visit site
oh my god thats terrible. you must be so awful. why dont u call the RSPCA or someone like that see if they can do anyone. she really sounds like she doesnt care.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Complacent neglect is far worse than ignorance. This lady gives us all a bad name and doesnt deserve the priviledge of owning a horse.

Personally, I dont have any faith in the RSPCA. ILPH or Ada Cole would be worth a call for advice at least.

I would take it on myself to tend to his wounds and get veterinary treatment if thats necessary. I dont know where you would stand legally though. Again, ILPH or similar organisation could advise you.

Must say, I am pretty angry for you.

Do let us know how you get on.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I can change his bandage and clean/treat the wound at least? I have called her again just now but answer phone - don't even think she's here....

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I'm a little confused as I thought you had just one mare in your previous posts but you say you have told the lady you have 5.I would report it and leave it to the professionals to check it out

spaniel

Visit site
Id call the ILPH and then go and see to the horse as best you can now. I have no doubt there will be ill feeling but this has gone on long enough and the horse could well be suffering.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
No, I have 5 horses (two of them are shetlands I keep at home as companions). The other two are geldings 15 yr olds , one Welsh section D, the other Cob. Sorry to confuse! I keep my mare at a yard as no space at home.

Am going to see to horse now.

the watcher

Visit site
In spite of some of the negative comments about the RSPCA, very much depends on your local inspector..some are good with horses, some are not, so I wouldn't dicount notifying them. Other avenues are the ILPH or the local BHS Welfare person who will give advice, or find a new home if she has tired of this horse.

Skhosu

Visit site
I would ring the ILPH and tend to the horse. The only danger being you don't know what it is under there, blood sounds bad though. Hope it all work out, keep us updated?

RLF

Visit site
getting back to the original post though, can you not ring the owner, and tell her you are seriously not happy with her lack of care and respect toward this animal.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I would call ILPH, if you decide to replace the bandage photograph the leg before you removed it & also photograph what you find under it....this may be evidence that ILPH may need in the future. However be prepared for finding something really nasty underneath & you may need to get a vet in attendance. Good Luck

MagicMelon

Visit site
Why on earth is the bandage soaked in blood? How'd this happen with a tendon injury? Personally Id do what Toby_Zaphod reommends. Photograph it all and Id treat the horse as its suffering at the end of the day - sod it if she gets mad with you, you have photo evidence.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Hey guys - Toby_Zaphod - I thought photos would be a good idea too. I've done that. I took the bandage off. He's very lame obviously. Gash underneath about the size of my finger but looks like it has bled for a bit.. straight line gash. I cleaned it etc - re bandaged it with one of my bandages. Given him a jolly good brush and some my horses hay too. Talked to him for a bit. Have called my vet - he said he will come in the morning, I'm sorry but I feel I have to - at least I have taken pictures. I keep trying her and have left messages but nothing.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I don't even know that it is a tendon injury - thats just what she said ! Yet she says she hasn't got vet out when I spoke to her yesterday telling her he was in a bad way.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
ah! have finally got hold of her. She was really thankful I helped (thank god) and was fine I had called vet. I explained to her that he was not in a good way etc. At least she was ok about it. But I worry about this horses future. I mean I get the impression she kind of relies on me to notice these things and tell her.... really weird.

Natalie_H

Visit site
I am so pleased you went & helped this horse - so kind of you. As for his future, I don't know....depending on how friendly you are with her, I would try & initiate a discussion with her about it - hard I know.

Thistle

Visit site
I'm really confused. You said the bandage was put on and left untouched after a hunting injury. The hunting season finished 2 - 3 months ago, has the bandage been left on untouched for that long?

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
yes it had been left untouched for god knows how long. Our conversation about the hunt must have been at least a month ago. She may have changed a few bandages but she certainly hadn't changed the last one in a long time judging from its state when I sorted it tonight. I think the horse has also been scratching it a bit - may be why it re-bled. I have so many things to do - I only noticed this horse suffering bad last week - I naturally assumed she was looking after him until I saw state of bandage, I told her she said she would see to him and didn't. She admitted to neglecting him tonight and said she felt guilty - I asked her when she last changed the bandage and sahe said she was so busy she couldn't remember. I am certainly keeping an eye out for him from now on. I told her we ought to chat about it tomorrow as well.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
If the vet comes today or tomorrow it will be out of hours charges so make sure she realises this or you could end up with the bill.It is very unusual for a vet to agree to go to see a horse which belongs to someone else ! Have you given him full details as when he hears the story he may be unwilling to treat it without her there!
It is strange to bandage and turnout as bandages can cause problems in themselves.What medication have you put on the wound, what have you put under the bandage as padding and how have you secured the bandage? It is very easy to get pressure sores and you could become liable.So again get professional advise or her involved, you didn't like it when people on your yard were talking about the work you were doing with your aging horse, make sure you are not doing the same. Keep friendly with this lady and offer to help but don't do treatment without permission
I'm sure you have the horse's best interest at heart but work with the owner not against her and advise her to sign the horse over to Blue Cross or ILPH

filly190

Visit site
The owner sounds like a complete so and so and reading this I feel disgusted towards them.

For the horses sake, I would take him on-board and look after him and send her a bill!!, just to get a reaction, I knew you would'nt get the money but I feel so sorry for the horse.

I would be sorely tempted to offer to purchase the horse for little money, sort him out and re-home him. I'm afraid I would not be able to stand back, typical me, not really a helpful post I know.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
We have the same vet and she knows he is coming today, he has also spoken to her this morning and so have I so I am not working against anyone. He is happy to treat and of course she is paying! I'm just trying my best really to sort the situation out. All I did last night was clean and redress it and owner knows that ( she had put poultice on, but hadn't changed - it was manky so I cleaned wound and put one of my spares on). Bandaging and turning out again this was her decision and what she did in the first place. All I was trying to do was be helpful and end the suffering for horse.
mad.gif

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
You did well ,good luck and I hope the horse gets a nice new home as the lady doesn't seem to have time and it is unfair on you.I would be the same I couldn't just leave it but I was worried for you