What would you do?

Visit site
I started a new part time job a couple of weeks ago at a livery yard. The staff seemed very friendly and I was promised I could ride, etc. I did for the first couple of times (I was put on the biggest, safest horse in the yard as they don't know me which is understandable.)

This has all now tailed off and I am the only one who doesn't get to ride at all. :( Having had my own yard, I am very quick at mucking out etc and without wanting to blow my own trumpet, I do a good job on the yard in a short time but this has always worked against me. I just end up with more and more of the same jobs. Today I was poo picking for hours in the heat as the fields haven't been done Since I was there last friday judging by the state of them. I then get all of the tack to clean as they bring it back in. Today they were moaning about having too many to ride, so later when I left I sent the girl in charge a message asking if it would be possible for me to ride a bit if they have a lot to ride. I also said I miss it having lost my youngest boy in February. I am happy to ride most types of horses and would consider myself experienced having broken horses in and ridden them away. I just don't think I have been given a chance to prove myself. I sent the message at lunchtime and she has so far ignored it (she replies straight away when giving me orders, usually also done by text) then proceeded to post on Facebook about how much she loves her 'day in the office.' ? I was told there would be riding when I started the job. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with yard chores but I am of the belief that everyone should work as a team and get stuck in, and also get some of the perks of the job too. I also started the job to mix with more people but am mostly left on my own.

Now I realise I am going to have to discuss this in person when I am next in on Friday if she just ignores my message. What would you all do/say? Has anyone else ever been in this position before at work in any career?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Yes I started a job which was nothing like they said I would be doing so I quit and they seemed very surprised ?. I had mentioned it to them and they just ignored it. Basically they wanted someone experienced to do a lower paid job, they often don't improve. I guess it depends how much you want/ need the job.

Visit site
shortstuff99 - they aren'tme badly which is a plus point but I very much do
it because I enjoy it as well as for the money. I think I will see what happens and if no improvement or change then I will continue but look for a better job in the meantime.

I am the oldest one there and feel like am apprentice again currently!

PurBee

Visit site
Some yards request riding experience due to knowing exercising a horse is a ‘job’ too and requires experience to just ride any horse, and exercise it well.
Yet some yards see riding as a ‘perk’...and you seem to be at one of those yards..?

It sounds like you could get a better position at a yard that actually need experienced riders to exercise/school horses than just be doing yard duty positions. Id imagined its better paid to do the riding job too?

In the meantime while looking for a better position, on friday when you speak to the person ignoring your riding message, say that youre surprised they dont want to avail of your riding/schooling experience, and thought that was also part of the job. Then they’ll realise that if you dont ride youre more likely to quit - and youll probably get to ride before you do quit, if you find another position at a riding yard.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’d be straight.

Ask the person in charge what they think your position there is, and what they expect from you. Do the whole ‘enjoying it here, yad, yada‘. But ask if you are you ‘simply’ there to do yard duties, or are you to be involved in all aspects of care - including riding? In these situations being pleasantly direct is always the best course of action.