What would you do?

Esyllt

Visit site
Morning all. This question has come about after reading the over analysing thread. It made me have a look at some of things I do and question why I do it, mainly the feeding side of things. They came off monoculture dairy farm grass, and have limited grazing/browsing at the moment due to works going on, so I over thought everything and spent tonnes on herbs to mix in with grass chaff and oat straw to supplement their grazing. It cost a bomb, I'm ashamed of my spending (I always spend far too much on my animals and neglect other areas of life!), so, with the view to get a grip on life, I want to simplify things. They are both medically retired, the most "work" they do is in hand walkies round a hilly route a couple of times a week, and will eventually be on a 10acre track system with hedges for browsing. Would you feed? I don't think I need to, but do convince myself they will be malnourished if I don't 🙄 would access to a mineral lick suffice?
Sorry to sound such a wet lettuce, I have lost all confidence in myself after a bit of a messy year, and would appreciate some advice from you knowledgeable lot if possible. Thank you for reading

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I don't rate licks tbh, aside from the plain salt type ones. Provided that they have adequate forage (grass, hay, etc.), then I'd probably cut their bucket feed down to a token handful of grass nuts soaked into a nice mash with a sprinkle of grass chaff added for texture. That way you can still add in any supplements or medication that they may end up needing as and when, and you also won't feel guilty for not feeding them. Agrobs do a really nice grass based chaff called Aspero with a lot of different beneficial plants added to it. It's a massive bale, so should last for ages when fed as a token, which will save you some money.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wouldn't feed unless they start dropping weight. We do give ours a bucket feed to encourage them to come to call, we give a handful of Agrobs Wiesencobs with Aloe Vera juice and water.

Equi

Visit site
I give my little lot a handful of balancer and hay. They only get the balancer as an incentive to come in not because I think they really need it, so they only get it if they come in. If any ever need weight on (shocking I know but it does happen :p) they get a conditioning cube for a week or two and bam they’re fat again lol

Big lad gets a cup of some nature thing because it has zero anything in it (he will flare up with any sugar/soya/alfalfa etc) just because he likes to be fed when the rest of the stable gets fed. He does have a supplement for his CPL which I have seen benefit from so that’s about all. But it’s absolutely nowhere near what the recommended dose is on the bag.

Esyllt

Visit site
Thanks guys. Definitely won't be buying more once I have finished what we have and hopefully then our grass will be through. Really appreciate you helping an anxious overthinker x

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
You only want to do the best by your horses and we all totally get that!! I have an 18yo ridden and a 28yo retired. Both big horses. I'm always seeking out feed to do this that and the other but in reality they both look great and the ridden one is going great! I feed fibre beet, salt, oil and have just bought some ye sac as we are moving yards so wanted to help support their tummies when they actually have grass!!