What would you expect from an agility class?

Delta99

Visit site
Have been looking for a local agility class for my rescue. First one we went to people were standing about chatting not really doing much at all.
Second one wanted a session with the dog to introduce him to the equipment and proceeded to drag the poor thing up the a frame, tried to get him to go through the tunnel at full length and do a course of jumps off the lead... Bearing in mind that this dog had never done agility before!

I used to take my previous dogs to classes, about 10 years ago and it was an 8 week course with the dogs being introduced to one thing each week, eg jumps week 1, weaves week 2, dog walk week 3 etc but sadly that club doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Do these kind of clubs / courses not exist anymore??? :confused:

Henbug

Visit site
Yes, they do still exist but generally they will have a VERY long waiting list for beginner courses and there are a LOT of bad ones. Your best bet is to go through word of mouth if possible, have you had a look at the list on http://www.agilitynet.com? Obviously can't be sure that they're good but at least there is a large selection to look at and find out about.

I would say that from experience that I wouldn't rule a club out if they don't do 'one a week' to teach the equipment but would DEFINITELY expect it to be done slower than that :eek:! A jump... pole on floor... recall over, recall through very wide channel weaves/2x2/method of choice, recall through VERY compressed tunnel, on lead down plank removed from dog walk and lowered almost to floor and possibly talk to owners about teaching turns and teaching nose touches for contacts at home - THIS is along the lines of what I'd expect in first few weeks. I think what I mean is instead of one a week perhaps a gradual introduction to a variety of equipment over the eight weeks.

Be prepared to go on a waiting list because a waiting list generally means it's a good club!

Good luck!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I wanted to do it with mine, not cos he's particularly agile, but well trained & quick to learn commands. My then 5yr old daughter was doing the odd fun class with him at family type fun dog shows. However local agility club is ran by a nutter who thinks she's Barbara woodhouse. She just kept barking orders about the need for me to have a bumbag of doggy treats & the need to have a choker & short lead with leather handle if we wanted success. Not sure why when he was following the voice commands of a small child & has an old leadrope on his collar for times when in busy public places only. Also insisted I should retrain him to follow her choice of words for basic commands. Such as 'sit on your bottom' & 'good doggy'. Got annoyed & gave up when she wanted me to perfect his descent of the see-saw by yanking his collar if he moved down too fast, on his first ever lesson. Also his last. Complete headbanger if ever I met one.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I did a 6week agility course with my rescue Dobermann and it was brilliant, all done at the dogs pace and we used different equipment every week. After the 6weeks you could move up a level and started jumping little courses. If you wanted to become a member of the agility club and progress that was fine and also if you were not competetive that was also ok.

OP whereabouts are you?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
If you're anywhere near Shropshire then I have an excellent recommendation. :)

At ours dogs don't touch the A-frame until at least six weeks in, the time is spent doing recalls over jumps, going through shortened tunnels, walking along the dog walk on the floor or only 1ft off the ground and then combining all of these. I don't think we did anything off the lead for another six weeks after that and dogs went back on the lead in between exercises (we don't bother now, dogs sit at heel between commands, never thought I'd see the day!).

Delta99

Visit site
If you're anywhere near Shropshire then I have an excellent recommendation. :)

At ours dogs don't touch the A-frame until at least six weeks in, the time is spent doing recalls over jumps, going through shortened tunnels, walking along the dog walk on the floor or only 1ft off the ground and then combining all of these. I don't think we did anything off the lead for another six weeks after that and dogs went back on the lead in between exercises (we don't bother now, dogs sit at heel between commands, never thought I'd see the day!).

Blackcob, I'm in Worcestershire so your class might be within travelling distance. Could you pm me the details please?

All the classes I went to came from Agility net, but there are 2 more I will have a look at - without taking the dog, the poor boy was not a happy bunny after that one on one session! :)